Author Topic: Martial Arts  (Read 15226 times)

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
Martial Arts
« on: July 25, 2006, 01:16:11 PM »
seems alot of you guys take martial arts, i used to and i wanna get back into it...what style do you take (style? not sure what its called) but you know what i mean

spanks alot
"Its not that we're the best, its that everybody else sucks"

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
Re: Martial Arts
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 01:26:24 PM »
Aikido. I love it. I also did TKD, judo, and brazilian ju jitsu. I also have some minor training in the Cap one (to hard to spell), and many other various styles of kong fu.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline Kiba

• Guenons
  • A jack of all trades, a master of none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 01:45:07 PM »
Quote from: CyanideSoda
..I also have some minor training in the Cap one (to hard to spell)...

Capoeira, right?

As for me, I used to take TKD. Now I train informally in a few different styles.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 01:48:20 PM by Kiba »
Nyah...

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:47:01 PM »
I used to take TKD, but now I train informally in a buncha' different styles.
That's basically the way i am now. Although i am officially doing Aikido. Working my way up to black.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 02:15:53 PM »
Never been a huge fan of TKD.  Too aggressive and showy and inefficient.

I've done Binh Dinh Kung Fu, Tai'Chi Chuan and a bit of Aikido in my lifetime.  I've got a bit of WIng Chun, now, too.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 02:34:23 PM »
Too showy yeah, too agressive... well can you really be too agressive? If your the attacker? Anyways yeah i'm intrested in getting a wide range of expierence. That means as offensive as TKD and as passive as Aikido.

Offline Kiba

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 02:45:36 PM »
Never been a huge fan of TKD.  Too aggressive and showy and inefficient.

Yeah I only learnt it to start doing Tricking. It helped a bit. I'm getting back into Tricking now.
Nyah...

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 02:49:36 PM »
Too showy yeah, too agressive... well can you really be too agressive? If your the attacker? Anyways yeah i'm intrested in getting a wide range of expierence. That means as offensive as TKD and as passive as Aikido.

I just see no reason to ever be the attacker.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 03:14:56 PM »

I just see no reason to ever be the attacker.
Lets say there is a cat burglar in your house.Your hiding in a nook, and he walks by. Bam sham boom beat him up.

psycosis12

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 03:24:47 PM »
I see that as defense because he is invading your spot he is provoking you still so technically it's still defense...

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 04:03:58 PM »
I see that as defense because he is invading your spot he is provoking you still so technically it's still defense...
Yes but you are being the attacker. Wether it's in defense or not. Ever heard the expression "the best defense is a good offense"?

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 04:09:51 PM »
Lets say there is a cat burglar in your house.Your hiding in a nook, and he walks by. Bam sham boom beat him up.

Indeed, that is defensive.  You can use any soft martial art tactic in this situation.  In fact, soft martial arts would subdue the enemy much quicker than using a string of hard martial arts.  Lock and break his arm.  Any number of things.  TKD is inefficient.  Martial arts, like Parkour, should be about efficiency.  Aggressive tactics are not a viable means of self-defense and really only is useful in a tournament fight or in a situation where you are actually intending on fighting rather than defending yourself.  In any situation where you are actually intending on fighting (outside of fighting for training, of course), you have immediately contradicted the philosophy of martial arts.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 04:10:28 PM »
Yes but you are being the attacker. Wether it's in defense or not. Ever heard the expression "the best defense is a good offense"?

And tell me why an aggressive tactic is more efficient than something simple like a lock.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 04:17:37 PM »

And tell me why an aggressive tactic is more efficient than something simple like a lock.
I believe in having a wide range of tactics. And in some situations i totally agree, just put him in a lock. Maybe even in this situation.

But i think that TKD can help even if you plan on going passive. I think that they are best when used together. A mixture of both. A few solid kicks to disorient (sp?) him before going in for a lock. Or something of the sorts.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 04:30:03 PM »
I believe in having a wide range of tactics. And in some situations i totally agree, just put him in a lock. Maybe even in this situation.

But i think that TKD can help even if you plan on going passive. I think that they are best when used together. A mixture of both. A few solid kicks to disorient (sp?) him before going in for a lock. Or something of the sorts.

Mixed martial arts is definitely superior.  I simply see nothing in TKD that can be effective.  Sure, a few solid kicks can work out.  But TKD teaches so many unnecessary moves, teaches you how to waste your energy and tire you out quickly, teaches you to use moves that are either simple to counter or evade or have no real place in any practical situation.  Jump-kicking an object ten feet up is fine and dandy, but when would you ever need to use that skill?  Grappling is often NOT the most effective thing to do and sometimes you DO need to fight...  But TKD teaches moves that are simply inefficient.  You learn nothing of deflection or energy manipulation.  You learn only to attack blindly.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 04:41:07 PM »
so i should look into taking.....?

Offline Kiba

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 04:50:38 PM »

Mixed martial arts is definitely superior.  I simply see nothing in TKD that can be effective.  Sure, a few solid kicks can work out.  But TKD teaches so many unnecessary moves, teaches you how to waste your energy and tire you out quickly, teaches you to use moves that are either simple to counter or evade or have no real place in any practical situation.  Jump-kicking an object ten feet up is fine and dandy, but when would you ever need to use that skill?  Grappling is often NOT the most effective thing to do and sometimes you DO need to fight...  But TKD teaches moves that are simply inefficient.  You learn nothing of deflection or energy manipulation.  You learn only to attack blindly.

Totally, dude. :P

Quote from: pointman323
so i should look into taking.....?

Uhh... for practical self defense, I would say Muay Thai, BJJ, Japanese Karate or Kickboxing. Maybe Taiji if you're gonna be in it for a pretty long time(At least 15 years.).

EDIT: You also might want to look into Judo or Akido if you don't want to hurt the opponent too badly. XD
Nyah...

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 05:01:44 PM »
alright thanks....i love how i started this today and it got so many replies so fast

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 08:30:55 PM »
Whatever on the TKD subject, you guys are stuck in your ways.  I'm not giant fan of it myself, but i think a year or so in it can greatly help your kicking abilitys, and it's a great gateway martial art.

I suggest you take muay thai and aikido. That is if you can find them in your area. Also brazilian ju-jitsu is pretty great.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 07:56:13 PM »
aikido will help you learn how to fall and you will have better control of your body all around in my opinion.