Author Topic: Jeremy Osborn's Training Log (Suggestions to my training agenda are VERY welcome  (Read 16282 times)

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
11/20/09
Open Gym!
I brought along someone who wants to learn, taught them the basic vaults. I practiced my rolls, they still arent right!!! >:( >:( >:(
I played with it as much as i could too! so i dont know how i could still be doing something wrong. I really think its my bone structure..
What if I can't do Parkour?! :'(
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
lol, maybe...maybe your body isn't round enough. If it's too erect (lol) you'll be slamming your hip.
I'm boney, and I only got a truly smooth roll once or twice. the other times i have to hit my spine, lightly or painfully. So don't give up bro :)

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
Idk, im not going to give up.. im just really discouraged..
Wisconsin Parkour

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
It's just a day. Happened to me lots o' times.

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
11/21/09
Rest day. Did some Jump-Rope.. meh

11/22/09
Rest day. Jump Rope, 10 push-ups, some stretching..
Meh.

I am really discouraged. Its ridiculous. My roll wont work. It just doesnt. I probably wont be able to do Parkour because of it. This sucks.
 >:( :( >:( :(
Wisconsin Parkour

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Well if you really can't get your roll, discard it for now. Work on your vaults and flow. Maybe one day you'll just try it, and it will work.
TIP: Try rolling with your left foot a little behind (if you use right shoulder), like a fighting stance, and roll on that. Works for me.

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
11/23/09
Today was sweet, did 40 pushups for a free National Guard Tshirt (i already got my Marines water bottle for 10 pull-ups a few weeks ago)
Then i did 60 pushups when i got home just to see how many i could do.
100 pushups today total.

Then later on when i actually did my workout:
Jump rope(~2 minutes) i got it going pretty fast too  ;D
Some arm stretches..
Tucked L-Sit (Failed like 3 times)
Tucked L-Sit (15s)
Squats (30)
Wisconsin Parkour

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
11/29/09
I havent done much in a while, so i guess i did this out of guilt..
Jump roped for about 2 minutes..
Tucked L-sit for 15s, this was really hard to do..
30 Pushups

Ive been feeling very.. down lately  :-\
idk why..
Wisconsin Parkour

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
Ive been feeling very.. down lately  :-\
idk why..

Hmm, it just happens sometimes. However there are some things you can try, from simply thinking happy thoughts to looking into vitamin D and it's affects on the brain and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/10/a-closer-look-at-vitamin-d/

Now I'm not saying Vitamin D WILL help with your mood, but it's definitely a possibility you could look into. It also has a myriad of other benefits that are fantastic aside from any mental effects.
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
i would like a one-a-day vitamin d supplement for that? idk, i think it wouldnt hurt.. my diet hasnt been great lately because of the holidays ans such..  :-\ oh well.. im sure ill figure it out
Wisconsin Parkour

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
There's nothing wrong with your bone structure, Jeremy. :) Some people take very naturally to rolls, other people don't. I've been training for close to four years, and my rolls still aren't as good as I want them to be. It's probably the hardest skill to really get down completely right in parkour! Work on it every day and you'll get it eventually. Search for some of the old roll help threads - there's a lot of great information out there.

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
Thank you Zac! My rolls have gotten a lot better, asked for a few tips on the roll pain thread, just had to torque it a little more when im doing it from a standstill ;D
Wisconsin Parkour

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
I got my Iron Gym!!!! Did at least 20 pull-ups (at like random times)

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im excited!!!! and i got SS!!
Wisconsin Parkour

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
Arghhhh i didnt know pull-ups work your core too... owie.. I am definitely liking that Iron Gym though.. I still havent looked through my SS yet (it says 2nd edition on the cover?.. is that the better one, or what?..), but im thinking i should set some new goals soon!
Wisconsin Parkour

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
AHHH The "squat" section of SS is 64 pages!! Do i have to read all of that?? Its very overwhelming! And since im a complete n00b to weightlifting, i dont understand most of it! :( :-\
Wisconsin Parkour

Offline Wyatt Kessler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
I'll show you the ways to weight lift and you can show me the ways of parkour ;D ;D
Kenosha Parkour
Parkour - Its not just something you do, it's the way you do it, and how you work to show the impact on your life from it

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
START HERE

REVIVED

I NEED TO GET BACK ON TRACK.
Let's get started.

DIET FIXES:
-No more soda. Water and Milk ONLY.
-No more eating junk food as snacks.
-Eat more fruits.
-Find some way to eat vegetables.

Now, onto my workout routine. I don't have access to weights. Body weight exercises are going to be my best friend. I will read the article from EMI. Goals first. What do I want to achieve? Handstands, L-Sits, Core strength, Mile times, Upper body strength. No, more specific on those last 2. I want my mile time to be at 6:00mins. or lower. I want to be able to be able to do a muscle up.

Handstands = Skill work. Will go to Beast Skills.
L-Sits = Progression. Will go to Beast Skills.
Core Strength = Built through L-Sit/Front Lever progressions.
Mile Time = Endurance. HIIT?
Muscle Up = Progressions. Pull-ups < Kipping Pull-ups < ???? < Muscle Up

AGENDA
Wall Assisted Handstands
Tucked L-Sits - Hold for 15-20 seconds. 2 Sets
Tucked Front Lever - Hold for 15- 20 seconds 2 Sets
Running - Will add when I find answer as to how to go about training for this.
Pull Ups - 5 Reps, 2 Sets.

I want to become more flexible as well... I also have NO idea where to start. If someone can help, would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 01:44:24 PM by Jeremy Osborn »
Wisconsin Parkour

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
REVISION AND READING DAY

Read some of the EMI articles. Will read Beast Skills articles on Progressions.

REVISED
5 Minutes of Assisted handstand work.
2 Sets of 5 - Pull Ups
3 Sets of 20 Seconds - Tucked Front Lever
3 Sets of 20 Seconds - Tucked L-Sit
25 Push Ups
Muse_of_Fire's Post-Parkour Stretches

I feel like there should be more here. Anything I'm missing here?
Wisconsin Parkour

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
First Day of the Training Routine.

Man, have I got work to do.

-I just looked, and I honestly don't have an open wall in my room to practice with. Looks like dry days will be when I'll get to practice this
-8 out of 10 Pull-Ups
-I got the Front Lever
-I only was able to complete 11 seconds of the Tucked L-Sit.
I finished all the Push-Ups
I did a lot of the stretching, and wow that feels pretty good! Thank you Alissa! :D
Wisconsin Parkour

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
One of your later entries said you don't have access to weights but if that ever changes...

To learn more about weight lifting you may want to buy a book such as Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Body Building.

A few free sources are:
http://thetrainingstationinc.com/exercises.html
http://www.bodybuilding.com

The best source on stretching I've ever seen is this:
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_1.html

I can't help you much in regards of running but this has helped the functionality of my legs:
http://smsmf.org/files/PEPExercises.pdf