Author Topic: Better as an unknown sport?  (Read 9470 times)

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Smite me, Oh Mighty Smiter!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Better as an unknown sport?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 09:36:30 AM »
Represent yourself through your training, through your words, and through your life.
The name of what you practice and how it is defined by the commons is not as important as the way it is defined by you.
Worry about yourself.
Work with others when you agree, and when you don't, well, let them be.
Everything has several facets, take part in what you wish, and realize others will do the same. And they may not be the same.
You don't have to be like me to work with me.

Opposing viewpoints are what defines things.
ProParkour--ANTI-ADVERB!!!!!

If you don't like their rules, Refuse to play their game.
Anarchy is not CHAOS, but order without CONTROL.
Frederick, MD PK

Offline samename

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 11:15:04 AM »
i agree and dont agree with you, i believe it should be a sport because some of these runners need to get out there and show that they are the best its human nature. But all you have to do is have nothing to do with it as a sport just do it for the pureness the beuaty of the sport.
 P.S. people need to make a living so these people are trying to do that by doing somthing they love.

Dekudude

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 11:40:24 AM »
The way I see it; so what if it does become competitive? More power to it. I will never compete myself, but if someone wants to, why should we try to take that away? It's up to the traceur what he / she wants to do with his / her skills.

Unknown sport or not, it's entirely up to YOU what YOU want it to be for YOU.

Offline Phoenix69778

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 10:50:41 PM »
First off I would like to say that when I was a kid me and all of my friends used to play basketball several times a day everyday for the fun.  We didn't think we would ever play competivly half the time we didn't even keep score so why couldn't we all still pk our way no matter what competitions are out there. 

I would also like to say that Martial Arts are a way of life for millions of people and there are some who compete and some who don't.  As long as the ones who compete are judged by people of the same way of life and have experience cause if there is nothing I hate more is people who have never done something and try to tell others how to do it. 

Also I would like to say that Pk is about efficiently moving through your environment and FR is about expressing yourself through movement.  To me you can't say it is like comparing to different styles of Martial Arts but more like comparing Martial Arts and Dance.  Martial Arts is about effiently defending yourself and dance is about expressing yourself through movement.  I am not putting either down its just my opinion. 

I have studied Martial Arts for 12 years and have a 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and a 1st degree black belt in Shukokai Karate and Phoenix Kempo.  I am saying this because I don't want anyone to think that I don't know what I am talking about.  I feel that the philosophies behing PK are very similar to that of Martial Arts in that they don't just teach you about PK abut also about life and how to live your life better.

I think that competition could be good for those out there that may want it.  Maybe one day there will be PK or FR competitions but as long as those of us in the community that take it seriously don't let others get the wrong idea and keep practicing safely it ain't gonna hurt anyone. 

As for it not being well known well I feel that everyone deserves to know about PK or FR and to deprive  them of it would go against the original idea of PK.  It was created to teach people how to move more efficiently through disaster situations and not just cetain people but all people.  Sorry for the long post but I got on a roll. lol

Offline Trevor

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 06:17:46 AM »
I don't like the idea of parkour being a competition "sport" I mean we all chose Parkour for a reason. Not to be better than everyone else. I think competition is stupid when it comes to parkour. I mean small games are fine but I mean championships? I don't want what happened to skating to happen to parkour. I think it is better unknown. Because then we can walk the streets freely without people not learning what parkour isn't.

I honestly have one major goal in life, and I will do whatever I can to accomplish it.

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 06:32:04 AM »
Also, in the Barclaycard championships have you seen one guy flip out because someone else won? No, they were all cheering each other on and encouraging one another and when Sarge took that fall the first ones down there were Livewire I think Pip not the EMT's, so to me it's more like a game of backyard football, friendly competition.
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 06:57:26 AM »
backyard football, friendly competition.

But in front of thousands, probably millions with T.V. , and having everything they do be judged. I don't know. Having a panel of judges just seems like it wouldn't work all that well. Even if they are 'prominent in the PK/FR world'

I don't know. I guess I just see it ten years down the line filled with people taking unnecessaryrisks and disregarding the whole point of it all in the first place.
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 07:08:02 AM »
backyard football, friendly competition.

But in front of thousands, probably millions with T.V. , and having everything they do be judged. I don't know. Having a panel of judges just seems like it wouldn't work all that well. Even if they are 'prominent in the PK/FR world'

I don't know. I guess I just see it ten years down the line filled with people taking unnecessaryrisks and disregarding the whole point of it all in the first place.
Which is why we, the Parkour/Freerunning community, have to guide it down the right path.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:12:41 AM by Grayson »
I eat a lot of food.

Offline kevin27

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 09:46:58 AM »
look, some publicity is fine, i just dont want a bunch of people going around and giving us a bad name... trespassing,running from cops, breaking stuff... the more uneducated epoeple who try this the more chances of people getting hurt or breaking the law
if you dont live on the edge then your not living life, so jump- Me

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Smite me, Oh Mighty Smiter!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 01:02:35 PM »
trespassing,running from cops, breaking stuff...

I do all three of these things and I'm educated.

ProParkour--ANTI-ADVERB!!!!!

If you don't like their rules, Refuse to play their game.
Anarchy is not CHAOS, but order without CONTROL.
Frederick, MD PK

Offline Robert Cooper

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 01:48:42 PM »
That's the difference. Freerunning is about freedom. Parkour is about efficiency and usefulness.
Lets compare the two this way: Parkour is like reality-based self-defense or military combatives, and freerunning is like martial arts. RBSD and combatives are made for a very serious purpose, but can be very fun to learn and practice. Martial arts were made for a serious purpose, but are now more competitive and usually less useful in the broad spectrum of combat. Soldiers use combatives to kill eachother. MMA fighters use those same moves, without the murderous intent, to earn money.
If this keeps going, Freerunning will become popular, and for a few years there will be a huge flux of people trying to do it, much like other things seen at competitions like the XGames. Parkour, however, if we stand our ground like David Belle would--if he found out that people were making his way of life a game--, will remain a utilitarian study.
Until then, however, keep conditioning, training, practicing, and moving. Maybe let your opinions on this matter fuel your passion.
To fix a problem, look to the cause, not the effect.

Offline kevin27

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 03:31:46 PM »
but you can give parkour and traceurs a bad name when you become an annoyance, u have to be respectful
if you dont live on the edge then your not living life, so jump- Me

Offline Jerald Donald Konkel

• Mangabey
  • Land softly and Roll Smoothly
    • View Profile
    • PunKurac Parkour
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 07:29:37 PM »
If Parkour Goes in the Direction of BMX or Skateboarding I will Stand True to what Parkour really is..... I would get sick to my stomach if Parkour was Restricted to Skate Park Style Prisons.

But where I live now....... No one really knows what Parkour is. there are wispers and people are catching some eye of it....... ALL thanks to me...... haha, Let the world be knowned that Antioch, Illinois is My Parkour Turf..... hehe, But All traceurs are welcomed here.

"We're Apes, not monkeys" GPK
"Get off the roof, for your own safety" APK Roof Police

Offline samename

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 10:30:20 PM »
i think another reason why this can be a good things for the better of us that actually do compete, it pushes u to the limit to try somthing you may not be able to do because your scared to do.

Offline Seung-hyun Cha

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 11:11:51 AM »

Offline Team Avian

• Completely and Utterly Banned not.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 02:00:20 PM »
If Parkour Goes in the Direction of BMX or Skateboarding I will Stand True to what Parkour really is..... I would get sick to my stomach if Parkour was Restricted to Skate Park Style Prisons.

But where I live now....... No one really knows what Parkour is. there are wispers and people are catching some eye of it....... ALL thanks to me...... haha, Let the world be knowned that Antioch, Illinois is My Parkour Turf..... hehe, But All traceurs are welcomed here.

That is pretty much the ONLY reason why I am against competition in Parkour, because, when people start being on TV and competing, it LOOKS just like Skate Boarding...  You have to see this from someone who doesn't know what Parkour is... If all they see is competition and what is in Movies, they are naturally going to think that it is JUST like Skating, and by turn, think that we are just Hoodlums who aren't going anywhere in life and just going around causing trouble and breaking things...

I'm NOT saying that this is what Skate boarders do, it is just what people THINK that they do judging by what they see in movies (Skating is raw, killer, mad-mean stuff...  most people in REAL life are not skating through car chase scenes while breaking things and graffiti-ing stuff...  Just like how we are not just doing it through malls and jumping off of buildings while running from the cops... however, that is all that a normal person sees, and thus they THINK that this is how it is...)

In other words... All that we really must do is show people what it REALLY is about WHILE having the contests...  Time Trials would be a great way to show this (MORE Parkour version of Ninja Warrior anyone?) but Free Running Contests that they show, more-so follow the lines of Tricking instead (Tricking - Going to one place and doing technical things in one area {This is what Tricking GENERALLY is defined by, not saying that everyone has the same definitions, but this is the most common/average})

-Kyle(Rage)
Team Avian soaring through the city-scape

Team Avian's Home Page

Team Avian's Youtube Channel

Quote from: Beretta
"Open mindedness is an essential parkour skill."

**APK Roof Police**

Offline Trevor

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 09:19:12 PM »
Ok... It would be kind of cool to see Parkour in the Xgames... but I can't really see it in my head as a competition kinda thing... maybe just get a public TV show that would only promote Parkour as a free activity... not a sport for competition... or a sport at all.

I honestly have one major goal in life, and I will do whatever I can to accomplish it.

Offline Jake Mathew

• Guenons
  • Your City. My Playground.
    • View Profile
    • Enisity.com
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 06:39:23 AM »
For me, as long as it does not turn into what skateboarding has, i don't mind too much mainstream support. Skateboarding has turned into a "cool" sport, and is bombarded by companies wanting to cash in on it. I would hate to see that happen to parkour, where its not about having fun and the activity itself, but money and looking/being "cool" or trendy.
Current 1 Rep Maxes:
Bench: 250       Goal: 300
Deadlift: 375    Goal: 415
Squat: 280       Goal: 315

Total: 905 lbs     Goal: 1030lbs

Offline Cameron Scott

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 07:33:00 AM »
As for how well known parkour is, I hope it becomes a household term.  As for the competition part of this post...

I like the idea of a Ninja Warrior style competition.  Before I knew much of anything about parkour I saw Levi M. compete on Ninja Warrior and I think what he said summed it up for me.  I'm paraphrasing, but it was something like "there are 100 contestants and there can be 100 winners."  Create a course that is nearly impossible to complete and let people tackle it until someone finally does.  Then make it harder. 

That provides incentive for improvement, an easy way for individuals to measure their progress, and promotes a community where people support each other instead of compete against each other (b/c you're always pitting your abilities against the course, not someone else).  I don't want my doing better to appear to diminish someone else's accomplishments or vice versa.

I don't so much like the idea of a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place style competition.  I see no benefit to declaring one person the best. 

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 07:57:03 AM »
As for how well known parkour is, I hope it becomes a household term.  As for the competition part of this post...

I like the idea of a Ninja Warrior style competition.  Before I knew much of anything about parkour I saw Levi M. compete on Ninja Warrior and I think what he said summed it up for me.  I'm paraphrasing, but it was something like "there are 100 contestants and there can be 100 winners."  Create a course that is nearly impossible to complete and let people tackle it until someone finally does.  Then make it harder. 

That provides incentive for improvement, an easy way for individuals to measure their progress, and promotes a community where people support each other instead of compete against each other (b/c you're always pitting your abilities against the course, not someone else).  I don't want my doing better to appear to diminish someone else's accomplishments or vice versa.

I don't so much like the idea of a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place style competition.  I see no benefit to declaring one person the best. 

Very well put, my man. +1 for that.
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.