Author Topic: Soreness  (Read 1268 times)

Offline zach mcdaniel

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Soreness
« on: August 04, 2009, 06:05:49 AM »
my shoulder is like really really sore is that normal or am i doing the roll wrong or what??
The world is my playground.

Offline Nicholas Schiebel

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Soreness
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:19:19 AM »
I think this should be in the injury section.

But anyways. Check the angle of your roll, make sure you're not putting to much of your weight and the energy on your shoulder during it.

It's not really a roll onto your shoulder, it's more like, aim for the space between your head and shoulder, and duck your head away from the point of contact as you roll. No single part of your body should be taking the brunt of the move.
Integrity First Service Before Self Excellence in All We Do
Into The Blue

Offline Dutch Self

• Guenons
  • Boo.
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/llehmorfecai
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 07:44:44 AM »
I think this should be in the injury section.

But anyways. Check the angle of your roll, make sure you're not putting to much of your weight and the energy on your shoulder during it.

It's not really a roll onto your shoulder, it's more like, aim for the space between your head and shoulder, and duck your head away from the point of contact as you roll. No single part of your body should be taking the brunt of the move.

Hmm....what I would gather from this is that you want him to expand the area he's doing a roll. Remember, the more area you use to do a roll, the more impact that will be dissapated forward than downward. That should take care of any problems with one area taking more of an impact than others :)
right?
-The D
When mind and body become one, and as your movement continues you feel a sudden calm rest itself upon your soul; you notice that suddenly the universe around you has achieved a harmony with itself and you, and every move you make becomes deliberate and successful for that second of enlightenment.

Guffaw

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 07:45:44 AM »
Well also try to go as far as possible while you are doing the roll, and by that i mean a long roll. Also cold showers help with the sore ness.

Offline Nicholas Schiebel

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 07:56:29 AM »
Hmm....what I would gather from this is that you want him to expand the area he's doing a roll. Remember, the more area you use to do a roll, the more impact that will be dissapated forward than downward. That should take care of any problems with one area taking more of an impact than others :)
right?
-The D

Bingo. Also, work on getting your knees as close to your chest as possible, and getting back up and moving as quickly as possible. Use the energy of the fall, harness it, and keep moving forward.
Integrity First Service Before Self Excellence in All We Do
Into The Blue

Offline Shawn Meilicke

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour: my anti-drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:00:16 AM »
my shoulder is like really really sore is that normal or am i doing the roll wrong or what??

if it hurts, youre doing it wrong.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6I1J0zmE7U

that video should help you, it gives pointers on how to fix the common problem areas in rolls
"Though all the world may hate us, we are named.
The shadow overtake us, we are known
We're more than carbon and chemicals
Free will is ours and we can't let go
We are the image of the invisible"
-Thrice

1+1=10

Offline zach mcdaniel

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 09:27:21 AM »
thank you for all the advice ill try it out

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 11:10:42 AM »

I think some pain/discomfort/soreness is normal with rolling after a drop, particularly on concrete and especially if you're doing a bunch of 'em.  There's these old WWII concrete artillery bunkers by the Golden Gate Bridge and I used to train there every week with my friend Andrey.  We'd do what I now realize was way too many rolls (about 30) on this awful rough, hard concrete from an eight foot drop.  Though my technique is sound, I'd end up with a bruise and a giant swollen spot in the middle of my back.  The problem wasn't my technique.  The problem was too many rolls, too many drops.

So, Zach, in my experience the first thing you have to do, is stop rolling at all for at least a week.  In fact, take a whole week off from training.  Rest is important.  It gives our body time to heal and stay healthy.  It's only a week, I know you'll be bored and want to train, but it will help.  At the end of the week, if your shoulder still hurts, see a doctor.  (In fact if it hurts badly, see one sooner than that.)  If it doesn't hurt, start rolling again.  Start with the basics: rolling without a drop, maybe even from a crouch.  If you have access to a video camera, post a video of you rolling in this thread and then we can let you know if we see any problems with your roll.

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 03:34:21 PM »
You have an interesting point Beretta, and I think most of us haven't given it enough consideration. If stress is too great, anything can become an injury, even with perfect form (although I doubt you don't have anything to fix with your roll, Zach, but that's okay).

Take Beretta's advice and take a break, and if you're okay after, get back into it at a modest pace. When bone is put through repeated stress, it becomes denser and stronger. If you punch a tree trunk, your knuckles get harder (disclaimer: if you do it too hard, you will break your hand). If you practice rolls on concrete, your shoulder will get harder (disclaimer: do it from too high or too often, and there is a potential for fractures, etc).
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline zach mcdaniel

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 04:51:04 PM »
my camera is at my house i will make a vid as soon as possible and post it here :D