Author Topic: Pilgrimage  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Mark Lewis

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • LPK
Pilgrimage
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:17:12 AM »
I have been brainstorming about this for awhile and am now currently saving for a trip that should prove to be truly epic and very rewarding. Next summer I plan to take 12-14 weeks to drive around the country and train in as many different places with as many different pk groups as possible. I plan to keep a detailed blog with pictures and write-ups on the various training grounds and groups I encounter, as well with a ppersonal record of my training and goals. If the timing is right, I hope to hit the National Jams in DC, Texas, and Colorado along the way.

I'm hoping to connect with as many of you as I can and train. I was also hoping that some of you might not mind a fellow traceur bumming on your couch/floor/lawn for a couple nights. :^)

I currently have 2 guys I train with in Louisville, KY who are going to try to try to make the trek with me. I have set some training and savings goals that I plan to post up later. I may just do the training stuff as a log in the proper area of the forums.

Below is a preliminary plotting of my stops; the basic idea being to train 2 days in each place and drive to the next on the third day. This will obviously flex a bit. Green markers and trees are spots that I definately plan to stop in to train, Blue spots are maybees, and red spots were initial ideas that I ruled out for one reason or another (I left them on for reference). The little house is my starting/ending point and home; Louisville, KY.

Let me know what you think. Any questions or ideas about the trip? Any spots I shouldn't miss? Offers to help by meeting to train or offereing beds would be great!

Cheers!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=103937058657925196591.000468c99f9b8ac5d0be5&z=3
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:38:35 PM by themortalcoil »
The strongest of seeds take root in hostile grounds. They don't fight the elements. They find thier harmony.

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
Re: Pilgrimage
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 10:25:57 AM »
What's that stop you're making in Arizona? Coronado...? >_>

Any particular reason you're stopping there?
Your obstacle is my shortcut.

Offline Mark Lewis

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • LPK
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:18:19 PM »
It's a state park, the trees are natural places I mean to visit to get some good movnat training and to see not only the cities of the US but also nature.
The strongest of seeds take root in hostile grounds. They don't fight the elements. They find thier harmony.

Offline Andrew Wilson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal - Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Take Flight Apparel
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 03:24:12 PM »
If you come by Beaverton or Portland, you have to train with some of the guys from RVPK.
"It's not about going out and finding a place to perform certain moves, it's about going out to your environment and truly adapting to it."

www.takeflightapparel.com - Very durable parkour clothing!

Offline Anne

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 03:38:48 PM »
Which Texas jam is this?

Offline Mark Lewis

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • LPK
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 05:26:24 PM »
To be honest I'm not 100% certain, I'm still researching a bit. I know (B)East Coast is normally late May and that COPK is normally late Aug. I thought Texas and Chicago both had national Jams sometime in between. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Cody Bolen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 06:39:51 PM »
What's this non-sense about not coming to atlanta? Show us Overflux guys some love. Gives us a date and some time to plan ahead and we'll hook you up with at least a 20 person jam! We're always out and about. We have three really amazing spots too, Athens(every tues. and thurs. and I'm sure you could stay with one of us up here), Decatur (my personal fav.), and Piedmont (epicness assured). So what do you say?

Offline Mark Lewis

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • LPK
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 07:55:47 AM »
This is one of the reasons I'm posting here; to get more info about groups and major training spots. It's hard to make guarantees until I really get into the grit of planning my itenerary, but that sounds pretty great man. Hope to see you next summer!

Offline Team Avian

• Completely and Utterly Banned not.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 09:44:33 AM »
You should come to the Douglasville Jam!  We are hosting it as a welcome to the community (Many "Big-Wigs" love the idea of having a personal fitness park in the back of Deer Lick and are really supportive of the idea)

Basically, this Jam is to show them the interest level of Parkour and to show the community what Parkour is about and why it is not a bad thing...

Also, we are going to have a few Ariakes there so whoever does end up coming needs to bring some money and snatch a pair before they are gone.  We have talked to Mark Toorock and will be selling them for APK, so in the long run, that is who you are supporting lol

So anyways... yes come to Atlanta!  Have fun in Decatur and then come over to Douglasville on the 29th of August (I know COPK jam is some time around there... unfortunately for us...)

Up behind Raggedy Skate Shack at Deer Lick Park!

-Kyle(Rage)
Team Avian soaring through the city-scape

Team Avian's Home Page

Team Avian's Youtube Channel

Quote from: Beretta
"Open mindedness is an essential parkour skill."

**APK Roof Police**

Offline Mark Lewis

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • LPK
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 10:18:08 AM »
My trip will likely end the 2nd week of Aug., mostly beacuse I should have a school and teaching schedual to get back to. But I will definately look into it if timing permits.