Author Topic: why do they?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline kevin27

• Patas
    • View Profile
why do they?
« on: August 06, 2009, 09:03:22 PM »
why is it that the older generation is not willing to embrace new things... no one undertands parkour and to older people all it seems to them is a bunch if people jumping off objects and being stupid,
if you dont live on the edge then your not living life, so jump- Me

Offline Mike Patella

• Mangabey
  • Towson, Maryland.
    • View Profile
Re: why do they?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:44:18 PM »
Incorrect.

I've jammed with multiple people who can be considered old, one of whom is well into his 40's.  It is completely incorrect to say that previous generation don't embrace new things, and to use generalized statements like "older people" is like saying that everyone in Asia loves rice.  Perhaps you didn't mean to be so general with your words, but it is absolute not fair to say that everyone who came from behind now likes things the way they are.  If that was true, why are things any different now then they were in the roaring 20's?

Offline kevin27

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 09:50:45 PM »
good point but i am talking about a good percentage of people who dont even kno wthat what we do has a name, those people who glare when u practice in public

Offline Jim "Monkey" Parker

• Mangabey
  • I am a leaf on the wind...Watch how I soar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 11:44:07 PM »
good point but i am talking about a good percentage of people who dont even kno wthat what we do has a name, those people who glare when u practice in public

Unfortunately, our society is very adept at putting things, people included, into neat little boxes. When people see something that doesn't fit, many will reject it out of hand as deviant.

Think of it as an opportunity Kevin...it may be just that they aren't sure of what they're seeing.

If they hang around a bit, say hello and ask them if they want to jump around a bit. Maybe you'll get a new convert.

If they're just passing by, give them a big grin to show them how much fun you're having. If nothing else, you might get a smile back.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step
-Japanese Proverb

Offline Nicholas Schiebel

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 05:09:05 AM »
I'd say it's their reality VS ours.

In their reality, Parkour, or anything new and out of the norm, could be dangerous, and that could lead to the destruction of their reality.

In ours, Parkour, Freerunning, Tricking, these are all ways of liberating or improving ourselves. These are the ways we reinforce our own realities, these are all commonplace for us, all possibilities.

We just see things differently, that's all. For them it's a city, for us it's a playground. That's life, and we can all learn to just get along, eventually.

But in actuality, Parkour, or any physical action, even with loads of pads and protection, is still dangerous, but don't let that get to your head. Focus, train, and keep moving forward.
Integrity First Service Before Self Excellence in All We Do
Into The Blue

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 07:32:14 AM »
Incorrect.

I've jammed with multiple people who can be considered old, one of whom is well into his 40's.  It is completely incorrect to say that previous generation don't embrace new things, and to use generalized statements like "older people" is like saying that everyone in Asia loves rice.  Perhaps you didn't mean to be so general with your words, but it is absolute not fair to say that everyone who came from behind now likes things the way they are.  If that was true, why are things any different now then they were in the roaring 20's?

he is not incorrect he just hasn't had the experience you have had. I have noticed that as well that the older generation sometimes aren't as welcoming to these new vigorous activities. Another instance... I have noticed in a few videos sometimes the older people who see him shake their heads. I also get a lot of wierd looks from the older people. I do not know why but if you see someone in particular give you the look or throw out a comment just sit down with them and explain it to them... thats about as much as we can do. Hope this helps and that we get more suggestions on how to change this.
Co-Founder

Offline kevin27

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 08:09:51 AM »
i am glad you all have solutions to this problem and i will definetly use them whenever this occurs, someday everyone will be doing parkour i hope, skateboarding was greatly frowned upon and now people are getting rich off of it, so maybe parkour will become as accepted as skateboarding became.. or even more who knows

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »
They reject our open-mindedness for the same reason we reject their close-mindedness. Realize that the fundamental motivation that drives all people's actions is one, not diffuse.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline kevin27

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 11:35:44 AM »
makes sense

Offline Mike Patella

• Mangabey
  • Towson, Maryland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 05:24:36 PM »
Incorrect.

he is not incorrect he just hasn't had the experience you have had. I have noticed that as well that the older generation sometimes aren't as welcoming to these new vigorous activities. Another instance... I have noticed in a few videos sometimes the older people who see him shake their heads. I also get a lot of wierd looks from the older people. I do not know why but if you see someone in particular give you the look or throw out a comment just sit down with them and explain it to them... thats about as much as we can do. Hope this helps and that we get more suggestions on how to change this.
I stand by my original point against the OP.  He is incorrect.  Kevin27 said that:

Quote from: kevin27
why is it that the older generation is not willing to embrace new things... no one undertands parkour and to older people all it seems to them is a bunch if people jumping off objects and being stupid.
That which is bolded states that everyone that can be considered "older" does not understand.  I provided a counter point, stating that I have spent time with those who are considered "older" (no name drops because that's just rude).  Regardless of what he meant to say, his statement is proven to not be true - therefore it is (as I said) incorrect.

It all comes down to what your definition of "older" is, though I'm not going to argue this any further.  Also, I'm quite surprised I was "smited" 3+ times for defending traceurs who have been on earth longer than many.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:27:44 PM by Mike Patella »

Offline kevin27

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 06:05:32 PM »
u made a great point and il appluad you for making this point i did not see it that way, i guess im just thinking of those people whol glare at me when i practice

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 07:12:24 PM »
Although it's really irrelevant when all is said and done, it goes both ways for older people. I get the most kind comments, and also the most chastisement, from people in their 40s and higher when I train.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.