Author Topic: XTERRA Maui Oct 24 - 25  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
XTERRA Maui Oct 24 - 25
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:35:13 PM »
http://www.xterraplanet.com/xduro/makena.html

People who aren't agro enough to compete in the XTERRA World can still run the same course on Saturday Oct 24. I'm scheduled to work, but if I can get my 5k or 10k competitive again...

Cost = $25 for the 5k, $30 for the 10k. You can also bike the practice course for $10. The real bike course is kept mostly secret, and changed each year so no one has advantage.

Here's a fantastic vid - gives you an idea of some of the conditions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7S4_gr455Y

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: XTERRA Maui Oct 24 - 25
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 06:26:27 PM »
if I can get my 5k or 10k competitive again...

Nowhere near competitive. I'm at like a 6:00/mile pace this week, and Dagen [previous winner] can do a 4:45

Offline Shiloh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Imua
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 01:18:16 PM »
Sounds kinda fun. Im in no shape for it though.  You could beat me and probably lap me with my mile times.  Its funny how I have a lil sprint action for my size, but can't endure distance with anymore than a jog.   I'd like to check it out once they're done. Have a lil MN inspiration.  Kiawe is not fun to train around though...lol  obstacles.

I think you'd do good actually man.  Especially with all the MN and conditioning you do.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 02:03:16 PM »
Depending when they open the course, the time to run it may be BEFORE. Maybe Fri 23 or something. Once the race starts, if you head out onto the course you run the risk of messing it up for the people who paid to race. I'm not sure when they close it up. They need it for Sunday, for the REAL XTERRA, so they won't be closing it off right away... but you may have the elite guys training on it.

Some parts of the course [Big Beach, the resort formerly known as the Maui Prince] are open year round for training.

I agree about kiawe, especially barefoot. No fun.

If I ran it now, I could have fun, if I had the right attitude. The problem is competition attitude. Every year I see the winning time and think, "I used to be able to finish that distance under that time. I know it's a hard course, but..." and that takes all the fun out of it.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 11:54:04 PM »
Right now I am scheduled to work BOTH jobs Saturday morning. ;D
I need to see if I can get out there Friday afternoon, just for fun.
I'll probably time myself, tho I'd enjoy it more if I didn't.

turtlekarma

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 07:23:34 PM »
Tell us how you guys do...have fun  ;D

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 11:24:58 PM »
Since I had to work all day, I biked 10 miles to Makena after work. The practice course was closed. The 5k course was all packed up, and I couldn't find any maps. The people in Ops said it was a pretty worthless map, anyway.

So I went to the finish line, and started running the 11k backwards. I didn't think the footing was too bad. I ran for a while, but the sun was going down, so I made my own shortcut through the lava rock, kiawe and cactus, picked up the end of the course and tried to run it. Tried. Loose sand and lava. My stride was about 1/2 normal, and I had to walk some of the tricky parts. Ended up "running" for about 49 minutes total.

Then I got to bike 11 miles home. I'm so tired. I don't know how far I ran. It was ok, but not worth paying $25-30 for. Thanks to the security guy who told me where to find everything, and gave me a couple bottles of water after I finished running.

turtlekarma

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 11:48:43 PM »
Since I had to work all day, I biked 10 miles to Makena after work. The practice course was closed. The 5k course was all packed up, and I couldn't find any maps. The people in Ops said it was a pretty worthless map, anyway.

So I went to the finish line, and started running the 11k backwards. I didn't think the footing was too bad. I ran for a while, but the sun was going down, so I made my own shortcut through the lava rock, kiawe and cactus, picked up the end of the course and tried to run it. Tried. Loose sand and lava. My stride was about 1/2 normal, and I had to walk some of the tricky parts. Ended up "running" for about 49 minutes total.

Then I got to bike 11 miles home. I'm so tired. I don't know how far I ran. It was ok, but not worth paying $25-30 for. Thanks to the security guy who told me where to find everything, and gave me a couple bottles of water after I finished running.

gregg is beast  ;D

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 01:43:11 AM »
Gregg feels old and slow... and tired... and is going to sleep. After I iron my shirt, and get my guitar ready.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 01:28:18 PM »
http://xterraphotos.com/09world/

Here are some pics from 2009 worlds, fun run, etc. The part of the run that gets the most swearing is the Big Beach to forest to Makena Beach [soft gray sand and lava]. The run could be a LOT more nasty than it is. But then people would get hurt.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:04:30 PM by Gregg »