Author Topic: Woman in Parkour and freerunning  (Read 11531 times)

Entity Elite

Re: Woman in Parkour and freerunning
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2009, 03:32:29 PM »
I know a few female traceurs.

Offline HollyWoodAPK

• Patas
  • Hey Look An Obsticle I Havent Gotten Over
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »
vey nice...ive been taking old school heruk muey thai...it is more solid then new school muey thai...i have also taken kendo and ryu kempo (which i might add is fun as hell) it would be nice if more people practiced it though but all of this has helped me in parkour
"OH GOD!! HE SHOT ME IN THE FOOT" guy laughs "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU LAUGHING AT I JUST GOT SHOT!!?!?" guy points at the TV and says "that guy just leaped over a fence and smacked a tree branch"   FRIENDSHIP FAIL

Offline Lydia Cloak

• Adorable Mangabey
  • Patas
  • Conquering a thousand vaults begins with a jump
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2009, 11:03:26 AM »
In Tae Kwon Do, the flying and jumping kicks were usually used against opponents on horseback.
Shotokan Karatedo isn't so acrobatic. There's a few explosive jumping movements, but you generally don't learn those for a couple years. Shotokan is focused a lot on power generated by snapping your body from one position to another very fast. Tae Kwon Do is more explosive as far as jumping up, which would translate well to parkour, I think.
I took both, and Shaolin Kenpo, but was unable to commit to any of them for vey long after my favorite shotokan sensei left. I've also spent a number of years riding horses. Yay, good fun. I'm very much a tomboy, and in general if I see a man doing something, I see no reason why I can't, too. I wish more girls would feel this way just in general, but there are a lot more traceuses than there used to be. Yay!  :D

I took Shotokan for a little while as well. But I think most Karate styles don't focus on acrobatics at all. Honestly, I wish they did because my jumping power is pretty well crap. My vertical is darn near embarrassing and trying to condition for a higher jump is kind of depressing. But I'll be working on it.

I feel the same way as you. I've always been a bit of a Tomboy and I really have always been more into the male dominated sports. Loved playing football with the guys back when...they usually wouldn't tackle me though  :-\ I think in a way...I've always hated how s many girls use that excuse of, "I'm a girl...guys are so much stronger...I can't do that..." Even my Mom goes into those, "You're a girl. You shouldn't be able to do that. It's not normal for a girl." It's like, I want to prove to the world that just because I'm a girl, that doesn't make me any weaker or less skilled. Sure, guys are naturally more built for strength and have a lot more power, but that just means I will work harder in the long run and gain more. *shrugs* Besides, male dominated sports are more interesting to me I find. Haha.
Why run from the future and live in the past when you can embrace tomorrow and learn from yesterday?
April 22, 2009 - Beginning of the future
<a href="http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=17035.0>My training log[/url]

Offline Stephenie Strode

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »
In Tae Kwon Do, the flying and jumping kicks were usually used against opponents on horseback.
Shotokan Karatedo isn't so acrobatic. There's a few explosive jumping movements, but you generally don't learn those for a couple years. Shotokan is focused a lot on power generated by snapping your body from one position to another very fast. Tae Kwon Do is more explosive as far as jumping up, which would translate well to parkour, I think.
I took both, and Shaolin Kenpo, but was unable to commit to any of them for vey long after my favorite shotokan sensei left. I've also spent a number of years riding horses. Yay, good fun. I'm very much a tomboy, and in general if I see a man doing something, I see no reason why I can't, too. I wish more girls would feel this way just in general, but there are a lot more traceuses than there used to be. Yay!  :D

I took Shotokan for a little while as well. But I think most Karate styles don't focus on acrobatics at all. Honestly, I wish they did because my jumping power is pretty well crap. My vertical is darn near embarrassing and trying to condition for a higher jump is kind of depressing. But I'll be working on it.

I feel the same way as you. I've always been a bit of a Tomboy and I really have always been more into the male dominated sports. Loved playing football with the guys back when...they usually wouldn't tackle me though  :-\ I think in a way...I've always hated how s many girls use that excuse of, "I'm a girl...guys are so much stronger...I can't do that..." Even my Mom goes into those, "You're a girl. You shouldn't be able to do that. It's not normal for a girl." It's like, I want to prove to the world that just because I'm a girl, that doesn't make me any weaker or less skilled. Sure, guys are naturally more built for strength and have a lot more power, but that just means I will work harder in the long run and gain more. *shrugs* Besides, male dominated sports are more interesting to me I find. Haha.

I got up to a green belt in Tae Kwon Do (not very far, I know!), but I think that I'm going to start the classes again. I find that the crescent, jump, front, and round kicks really do halp build up the muscle power in legs. And, if people participate in sparring, it really helps with "instinctive" movement. That is, responding to stimuli without thought. It definitely can't be negative at least!
Trying is not a behavior - just do it.

Offline Lydia Cloak

• Adorable Mangabey
  • Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2009, 11:22:38 AM »

I got up to a green belt in Tae Kwon Do (not very far, I know!), but I think that I'm going to start the classes again. I find that the crescent, jump, front, and round kicks really do halp build up the muscle power in legs. And, if people participate in sparring, it really helps with "instinctive" movement. That is, responding to stimuli without thought. It definitely can't be negative at least!

I've wanted to get back into martial arts again, but I find the schools around here are more money focused and not disciplined enough. As well, I really can't afford it. My years of martial arts were probably my strongest years as far as my legs go. Ah dear, sparring...I was always pretty much pitiful when it came to sparring. Not that my reflexes are bad, quite the contrary. Just that I over analyze things and was never aggressive enough to take the first step in the attacks.
Why run from the future and live in the past when you can embrace tomorrow and learn from yesterday?
<a href="http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=17035.0>My training log[/url]

Offline Stephenie Strode

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2009, 04:27:09 PM »

I've wanted to get back into martial arts again, but I find the schools around here are more money focused and not disciplined enough. As well, I really can't afford it. My years of martial arts were probably my strongest years as far as my legs go. Ah dear, sparring...I was always pretty much pitiful when it came to sparring. Not that my reflexes are bad, quite the contrary. Just that I over analyze things and was never aggressive enough to take the first step in the attacks.

Yeah, I had a problem with that for a while as well. The instructors in many places are, while very capable, pretty relaxed as well. I love it when I get to the end of my training when I can barely stand! As for sparring - I'm just grateful for the pads! Except for once when I had to spar with a blackbelt during testing. Moving the next day was...interesting!

Offline Lydia Cloak

• Adorable Mangabey
  • Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2009, 05:58:43 PM »

Yeah, I had a problem with that for a while as well. The instructors in many places are, while very capable, pretty relaxed as well. I love it when I get to the end of my training when I can barely stand! As for sparring - I'm just grateful for the pads! Except for once when I had to spar with a blackbelt during testing. Moving the next day was...interesting!

Same here. I love being driven in forms of exercise. It's hard to push yourself to that point, so having someone else to do it for you is really a great thing. But yeah...they just don't anymore because people whine and complain about how tired or sore they are already. It's kind of pathetic. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so though  ;D

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2009, 06:45:05 PM »
thank you for supporting our pass time. It's like guys that don't dance. Rare. We need more women parkour people in my town.

For that matter, we need more parkour people in my town because there are none.
"obsession is a great replacement for talent" -Steve Martin

Offline Stephenie Strode

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »

Same here. I love being driven in forms of exercise. It's hard to push yourself to that point, so having someone else to do it for you is really a great thing. But yeah...they just don't anymore because people whine and complain about how tired or sore they are already. It's kind of pathetic. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so though  ;D
Pathetic indeed! But I completely agree. It may be strange, but I actually enjoy being a bit sore after a workout. It feels like victory.

Offline Lydia Cloak

• Adorable Mangabey
  • Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »

Pathetic indeed! But I completely agree. It may be strange, but I actually enjoy being a bit sore after a workout. It feels like victory.
Despite the ubber amounts of pain and inability to walk...I too love being sore the next day. It means you actually pushed your body and it's getting stronger. Power to the soreness!!! =D

Offline Skye

• Ambassador
  • Mangabey
  • o.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2009, 07:57:51 AM »

Despite the ubber amounts of pain and inability to walk...I too love being sore the next day. It means you actually pushed your body and it's getting stronger. Power to the soreness!!! =D

I to like being sore. For me it gives me drive to keep on so that I'm not sore anymore. I push myself thinking, if I do this long enough, eventually this won't hurt me anymore.

Also I loke doing things that are "male dominat" I like to prove myself that I can do whatever I want to. No matter what people tell me.

My parents gave me a nickname when I was little, "miss contrary" because anytime they said you can't do that, i'd do it just to prove them wrong...(of course sometimes I got into big trouble because of that...:P)
ME:  "I'm a graphic artist."
HIM: "whats that? What do you do?"
ME:   "well actually it can be pretty hard, i have to  code and..." (getting all technical with my words on what i do."
HIM:  "blank Stare"
ME: "I make pretty pictures..."

Offline Stephenie Strode

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2009, 10:13:17 AM »

Precisely! Until, at least, my eyes are tearing up when I'm halfway up a flight of stairs. It's then that I turn to one of my best friends - Icy Hot. No joke, I have a huge TUB of it sitting next to my bed. During track it saved my life.

ichisato

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2009, 09:56:12 AM »
a girl i like loves parkour, she's too afraid to do it and her bf hates me so i can't teach her.

fight her boyfriend and teach her....its like a good movie lol

trust me, i could kick his @$$ any time, she would hate me then XD she's very different. and hes a chubby punk skater.

Watch that elitism.  We're pacifists, not aggressors.

we are humans , and traceurs , not clones of eachother, we believe in what we believe in, some pacifists, some agressors

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2009, 10:30:54 AM »
a girl i like loves parkour, she's too afraid to do it and her bf hates me so i can't teach her.

fight her boyfriend and teach her....its like a good movie lol

trust me, i could kick his @$$ any time, she would hate me then XD she's very different. and hes a chubby punk skater.

Watch that elitism.  We're pacifists, not aggressors.

we are humans , and traceurs , not clones of eachother, we believe in what we believe in, some pacifists, some agressors

The way of the traceur is to be as water.  Impossible to grasp and extinguisher of fire.

Offline Thennek_911

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 12:12:06 PM »
Well idk if anyone will read this sence this has not had a post for over 60 days but here goes.
I am pretty new to parkour myself and i love it i find it addicting, anyways My Gf wants to do it too but she does not have the motivation, i was hopeing that there was a more famous girl tracer that i could show her. In our group there are about 5 guys and her, and she gets depressed easy, so idk what i can do to help her get into it. I hope to find her a role model but by reading thes topic so far i gess i was wrong, :( by the way were in southern IN out in the middle of nowhere. so not many people are into it and she does not have any friend except me really. so do u know any woman tracers i could tell her to look up to watch and to get inspired by. or i gess any help would be good. she is afrad of geting hurt and does not want to get manly, plus all the guys in the group are inmature! and make fun of her i told her i would support her the best i could. She wants to try doing it with a kind of girly style, like to do it normaly do it still make it like how should i say.....feminine and definded. any videos would be nice or at least a name to look up. but any help would be nice. thanks in advanced. :)

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 01:05:06 PM »
Luci Romberg of team Tempest.

LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline Chantelle

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2011, 08:51:52 PM »
The English traceuse Kirsty Hibbert has some fantastic vids on youtube. 

I'm a traceuse wannabe, but my education gets in the way of going to the gym and practicing.  I took a parkour class at a gymnastics gym last fall.  It was great.  I'm 26, and most of the kids in the class were 12 year old gymnasts.  I laughed so much in that class, but I also learned proper roll technique, which I won't soon forget.  I've got the basics, I just need to train and practice more.  NEED MORE HOURS IN THE DAY!

Offline superdude88

• is 13!!
  • Mangabey
  • kris vachet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2011, 09:02:57 PM »
there should be like a ladies section or something
I'm Legend, 13, I'm Superdude

"No matter what you see in life see it as an obstacle see it as it can be over come."
-Me

Can't have a rainbow without rain

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »
there should be like a ladies section or something

There is, Women's Board :)

Anyways, Kat from Mexico. Natalie Strasser. Luci Romberg. That's all I can think of at the moment.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline michigancitypk

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »
Female Traceurs are called "Traceuses". Just so We're clear.