Author Topic: Woman in Parkour and freerunning  (Read 11394 times)

Offline HollyWoodAPK

• Patas
  • Hey Look An Obsticle I Havent Gotten Over
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com
Re: Woman in Parkour and freerunning
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 05:43:31 PM »
lol the thought of fat skateboarders makes me chuckle on the inside and bust a gut on the outside....lmfao...just thinking about the whole..nevermind thats mean im not going to say it....
"OH GOD!! HE SHOT ME IN THE FOOT" guy laughs "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU LAUGHING AT I JUST GOT SHOT!!?!?" guy points at the TV and says "that guy just leaped over a fence and smacked a tree branch"   FRIENDSHIP FAIL

Offline Team Avian

• Completely and Utterly Banned not.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 06:48:29 PM »
Yea... here on the West side of Metro Atlanta, there is next to no one that even DOES Parkour... We are trying to start the scene and have a growing group... about 20 people interested and maybe 9 actually taking part...

unfortunately... No Traceuse's...  But yea... I have to go to a Decatur Jam one of these days...

We are planning a Jam over here and hopefully get it approved (Security is strict on things they don't understand... They automatically assume that we are hoodlums just jumping around acting like idiots... and they don't even let us explain what we are doing... closed minded...)

But yea... no women taking part in Parkour or Free Running over here... maybe one day... (I've already vowed that the Girl I end up with will be a Traceuse {I'm gonna be lonely huh? XD})

-Kyle(Rage)
Team Avian soaring through the city-scape

Team Avian's Home Page

Team Avian's Youtube Channel

Quote from: Beretta
"Open mindedness is an essential parkour skill."

**APK Roof Police**

ichisato

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »
I would take a traceur over a fat skatboarder any day. I'm pretty sure any girl would. Give it time, dude.

:( not in this case... i kinda blew it lol! she gets mad that i complemented her EVEN tough she asked!

lol the thought of fat skateboarders makes me chuckle on the inside and bust a gut on the outside....lmfao...just thinking about the whole..nevermind thats mean im not going to say it....

he's extremely Mexican too... XDDDD

Offline Carissa V

• Patas
  • Impossible is Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 06:04:07 AM »
i'm a girl doing parkour right now. it started out with me and one other traceuse in our area. a couple girls came to some training seminars around here, but they stopped coming after that, but I'm not really too sure why. *shrug*
anyway, I pestered my one friend (also a girl) to try parkour and kept bugging her until she tried it. and she loved it. so now we have someone else to train with!

I agree that currently there is a definite....shortage of traceuses out there, but I think if we continue to spread the word, bug our friends, and just try to get other girls involved, it will slowly grow.
On the other hand, I don't particularly mind a small traceuse community right now...I like training with other girls, too, but I don't mind that it's only 3 of us.

And...
I would take a traceur over a fat skateboarder any day. I'm pretty sure any girl would. Give it time, dude.
ABSOLUTELY!!! Good luck, I hope it works out for you :)
*LVPK member*
*Just plain awesome*
*Consistently Injured*

Offline Lydia Cloak

• Adorable Mangabey
  • Patas
  • Conquering a thousand vaults begins with a jump
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 11:55:07 AM »
I'm the only Traceuse around here...but honestly...I don't mind  :-\

Yeah, most of the time I'm the only female when I go train, and I don't mind at all either. I've got a strong legs from my dance background, and I've got a stronger upper body than the average female, so it's nice to have the guys to train with for motivation.

I envy you for having the dance background which no doubt increases your vertical and broad jump a huge amount. But yeah, there's something about training with guys that will push you to be seen as one of their equals and not a lesser as can sometimes happen. I'm still working on that because I find that I feel like a lesser around a lot of guys that I train with simply because they're so darn good.

What dance style btw? I'm just curious
Why run from the future and live in the past when you can embrace tomorrow and learn from yesterday?
April 22, 2009 - Beginning of the future
<a href="http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=17035.0>My training log[/url]

Offline Saki Krys

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 12:05:40 PM »

Yeah, most of the time I'm the only female when I go train, and I don't mind at all either. I've got a strong legs from my dance background, and I've got a stronger upper body than the average female, so it's nice to have the guys to train with for motivation.

I envy you for having the dance background which no doubt increases your vertical and broad jump a huge amount. But yeah, there's something about training with guys that will push you to be seen as one of their equals and not a lesser as can sometimes happen. I'm still working on that because I find that I feel like a lesser around a lot of guys that I train with simply because they're so darn good.

I've done just about all types of dance. I've got a big background in ballet and pointe. I do jazz, hip hop, lyrical, and all that kinda stuff as well. I also do aerial dance (static/dance trapeze, sling, fabrics/silks) and I do some contortion with that. I play around with acroyoga and partnered handbalancing and poi spinning. My newest thing besides parkour is that I'm trying to learn how to tumble and do flips :)

Offline Lydia Cloak

• Adorable Mangabey
  • Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 12:45:08 PM »

I've done just about all types of dance. I've got a big background in ballet and pointe. I do jazz, hip hop, lyrical, and all that kinda stuff as well. I also do aerial dance (static/dance trapeze, sling, fabrics/silks) and I do some contortion with that. I play around with acroyoga and partnered handbalancing and poi spinning. My newest thing besides parkour is that I'm trying to learn how to tumble and do flips :)

!!!! Serious amounts of awesomeness. I've wanted to do aerial dance and contortion so badly. I'm working on the tumbling aspect as well. It's always been that thing that I've wanted to do but always seemed out of my grasp.
Why run from the future and live in the past when you can embrace tomorrow and learn from yesterday?
<a href="http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=17035.0>My training log[/url]

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 04:19:17 PM »
a girl i like loves parkour, she's too afraid to do it and her bf hates me so i can't teach her.

fight her boyfriend and teach her....its like a good movie lol

trust me, i could kick his @$$ any time, she would hate me then XD she's very different. and hes a chubby punk skater.

Watch that elitism.  We're pacifists, not aggressors.

Offline HollyWoodAPK

• Patas
  • Hey Look An Obsticle I Havent Gotten Over
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 04:50:27 PM »

!!!! Serious amounts of awesomeness. I've wanted to do aerial dance and contortion so badly. I'm working on the tumbling aspect as well. It's always been that thing that I've wanted to do but always seemed out of my grasp.

ive did ballet till i was 11 then stopped but i have altered a bunch of stuff into my freestyle now i just stick with the freestyle and krumping
"OH GOD!! HE SHOT ME IN THE FOOT" guy laughs "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU LAUGHING AT I JUST GOT SHOT!!?!?" guy points at the TV and says "that guy just leaped over a fence and smacked a tree branch"   FRIENDSHIP FAIL

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 04:56:11 PM »

Speak for yourself.  I interpret the credo of "être fort pour être utile" to mean not to be one of pacifism, but of nonaggression.  I will not throw the first punch or goad others into doing so, but sometimes being useful means you must take immediate and assertive action to prevent others from getting hurt.

Though I agree with the spirit of your statement in this certain situation.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 07:35:36 PM »

Speak for yourself.  I interpret the credo of "être fort pour être utile" to mean not to be one of pacifism, but of nonaggression.  I will not throw the first punch or goad others into doing so, but sometimes being useful means you must take immediate and assertive action to prevent others from getting hurt.

Though I agree with the spirit of your statement in this certain situation.

Forgive me, a better word choice would of been diffuser.  I just couldn't think of the word at the time and pacifist was the closest thing I could think of.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 06:16:05 AM »
I have found that my ballet background hinders me a lot more than I thought it would help in parkour. For even the simplest things I have to unlearn 25+ years of ingrained training, muscle memory, etc. Some of my parkour pictures, I am clearly doing ballet moves. It's totally unconscious; my muscles just naturally go into those positions when I move and it is *very* hard work for me to make them move otherwise.

The jumping is extremely difficult; perhaps if I had more of a jazz background (only trained that a few years and not to a very high level) it would be easier but jumps in ballet for females are very specific: vertical jumps are small, dainty, and quick/springy. Broad jumps are almost always with one leg leading, not two. So precisions, for example, were completely alien to me.

The one thing it has helped with is timing and general coordination; and balance I suppose. For example the kong approach footwork, I picked up right away because it is very similar to a ballet movement (chasse temps leve arabesque with a second port de bras, for those of you who are wondering) :P I find myself counting a lot when I do parkour, as if there were music, which is pretty funny and also unconscious.

There comes a point where prior movement experience helps you, and then definitely a point where it hinders you. If you're too trained in an area, all that training gets in the way of your muscles learning new patterns. My progress in parkour has been extremely slow in part because of my training in ballet.

:(
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Saki Krys

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 10:32:44 AM »
I have found that my ballet background hinders me a lot more than I thought it would help in parkour. For even the simplest things I have to unlearn 25+ years of ingrained training, muscle memory, etc. Some of my parkour pictures, I am clearly doing ballet moves. It's totally unconscious; my muscles just naturally go into those positions when I move and it is *very* hard work for me to make them move otherwise.

The jumping is extremely difficult; perhaps if I had more of a jazz background (only trained that a few years and not to a very high level) it would be easier but jumps in ballet for females are very specific: vertical jumps are small, dainty, and quick/springy. Broad jumps are almost always with one leg leading, not two. So precisions, for example, were completely alien to me.

The one thing it has helped with is timing and general coordination; and balance I suppose. For example the kong approach footwork, I picked up right away because it is very similar to a ballet movement (chasse temps leve arabesque with a second port de bras, for those of you who are wondering) :P I find myself counting a lot when I do parkour, as if there were music, which is pretty funny and also unconscious.

There comes a point where prior movement experience helps you, and then definitely a point where it hinders you. If you're too trained in an area, all that training gets in the way of your muscles learning new patterns. My progress in parkour has been extremely slow in part because of my training in ballet.

:(

I understand what you're saying (including chasse temps leve arabesque and port de bras  ;) ).

I kept thinking to myself that I should be pretty good with precisions because jumps are a strong point for me in dance, but for some reason I have hard time with precisions. :P I'm working on them, I suppose they're slowly improving...

I will say that ballet has definitely helped me in the "balance" category of parkour. One of the first things I got in parkour were rail balances, walking frontwards and backwards I can do fairly well. :)

Fortunately for me, I have a pretty good background of jazz and hip hop and stuff, not just ballet, so I guess it was a lil more easier to adapt to parkour for me, but I've always seen ballet as my base foundation for everything I've done. Just like you, I was able to compare some aspects of parkour to ballet (kong footwork to chasse temps leve) A habit I had the hardest time breaking is pointing my feet whenever I'm off the ground. lol But with this ballet background, we have a natural ability for balance, coordination, and the ability to visually see movement and pick it up quickly. You look at your parkour pictures and see yourself doing ballet lines, I would imagine that would look really nice in pics and I don't see anything wrong with it; I look at pics of a speed vault, and I see a double stag, I think of strides as dance leaps, rail balances are like balance beams (at PKNY, I was playing around on the scaffoldings doing more aerial dance stuff than actual parkour. lol XP)

Aaaanyways, I think that we should appreciate our ballet backgrounds and not think of them as something that hinders us in parkour. I think it's natural for everyone to take something new and compare it to something that they already know (which would be why many traceurs and traceuses come from a background of dance, gymnastics, martial arts). Each type of dance, whether it be ballet, jazz, hiphop, or others, has its own style, and learning different styles of dance requires you to make changes and learn different techniques. I just think of parkour as another style of dance, and the more you practice, the more you will adapt to parkour's style of movement :)

Offline Hannah L

• Patas
  • "It's not an obstacle; It's an OPPORTUNITY."
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 11:46:44 AM »
i'm a girl doing parkour right now. it started out with me and one other traceuse in our area. a couple girls came to some training seminars around here, but they stopped coming after that, but I'm not really too sure why. *shrug*
anyway, I pestered my one friend (also a girl) to try parkour and kept bugging her until she tried it. and she loved it. so now we have someone else to train with!

I agree that currently there is a definite....shortage of traceuses out there, but I think if we continue to spread the word, bug our friends, and just try to get other girls involved, it will slowly grow.
On the other hand, I don't particularly mind a small traceuse community right now...I like training with other girls, too, but I don't mind that it's only 3 of us.

And...
I would take a traceur over a fat skateboarder any day. I'm pretty sure any girl would. Give it time, dude.
ABSOLUTELY!!! Good luck, I hope it works out for you :)

Carrying on Carissa's thought...I don't particularly mind having a small traceuse community either-it makes us more valuable and appreciated ;)
But, it is nice when we see women involved because it's more of a "Hey, I guess I can do it, too" to other women.  I am not at all your typical traceuse, but that's just proof that anyone can do it!
And I'm that friend CarissaV2 "kept bugging until she tried it".  And yes, I'm loving it.

Oh and Steph-Definitely. 
*Lehigh Valley Parkour (LVPK) member*
*Columbia County Parkour-Bloomsburg University*
*Annoyingly Persistent Traceuse Recruiter*
*Parkour Evangelist*
*Outspokenly Feminist Traceuse*
(In Recovery)

Offline Lydia Cloak

• Adorable Mangabey
  • Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 11:54:45 AM »
Yeah, I can understand the difficulties coming from ballet into parkour. Although this isn't the same, I had an abnormally hard time switching from Goju-Ryu Karate to Sun Hang Do. This being because Karate was entirely a hard style. All straight lines and power focused. Sun Hang Do incorporated round and flowing movements into the mix. I couldn't move like that. It was hard for me. As well, when I started fencing, one of my instructors said, "You have hips...use them." Again, I didn't know how to move that way and had to erase the way I had learned to move...and relearn a way of grace and flow.

Offline Stephanie Belle Hagan

• Mangabey
  • poof.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2009, 06:34:01 PM »
Hmmm. Well, unlike all of you, I was lucky and somehow managed to avoid all ballet/dance/gymnastics/martial arts/etc... for most of my life haha. I did take Tae Kwon Do for several years, but the only lasting effect of that training is that I have quicker reflexes and more explosive power... all of which are lovely for parkour.  ;D Parkour is the first thing that came naturally to me though- I can remember my first wall climb... I just watched someone do it and got it on the first try. I was so proud. But it took me years to learn certain kicks and blocks in Tae Kwon Do, some of which I never accomplished.

The moral of the story? I don't know.  :P haha
"When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So, what the hell, leap!"
-Unknown

Offline Matt Stick

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I hunt wildabeasts with my bear hands.
    • View Profile
    • Training Log
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2009, 08:31:33 PM »
I was a red belt in Tae Kwon Do several years ago, it didnt do squat for me! And as for the Traceuses out there.. how you doooin?

;D jp.
OKPK Tulsa Rep.
I drink lion's milk straight from the lioness. -Jorge Figueroa

Offline Lydia Cloak

• Adorable Mangabey
  • Patas
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 01:54:51 PM »
I was a red belt in Tae Kwon Do several years ago, it didnt do squat for me! And as for the Traceuses out there.. how you doooin?

;D jp.

Pretty good... :D

I think the big problem for me is I never got to do any of the jump kicks or acrobatics from my martial arts. So no benefit there plus I stopped doing martial arts about 2-3 years back.

Offline Stephanie Belle Hagan

• Mangabey
  • poof.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 03:08:53 PM »

;D jp.

Pretty good... :D

I think the big problem for me is I never got to do any of the jump kicks or acrobatics from my martial arts. So no benefit there plus I stopped doing martial arts about 2-3 years back.

Peachy, just peachy haha

Hmmmm well I'm not sure what the difference is between Tae Kwon Do and Karate, but the parkour benefits probably came from stuff like the tornado kick or something. Take, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt3NB_VtBfU

I only got to be a red belt, but there was a class on Saaturdays that specialized in complicated kicks like that.  :)
"When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So, what the hell, leap!"
-Unknown

Offline Anne

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 03:26:13 PM »
In Tae Kwon Do, the flying and jumping kicks were usually used against opponents on horseback.
Shotokan Karatedo isn't so acrobatic. There's a few explosive jumping movements, but you generally don't learn those for a couple years. Shotokan is focused a lot on power generated by snapping your body from one position to another very fast. Tae Kwon Do is more explosive as far as jumping up, which would translate well to parkour, I think.
I took both, and Shaolin Kenpo, but was unable to commit to any of them for vey long after my favorite shotokan sensei left. I've also spent a number of years riding horses. Yay, good fun. I'm very much a tomboy, and in general if I see a man doing something, I see no reason why I can't, too. I wish more girls would feel this way just in general, but there are a lot more traceuses than there used to be. Yay!  :D