Author Topic: Kongs and advanced rolls  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Prancer

• Patas
    • View Profile
Kongs and advanced rolls
« on: July 22, 2009, 02:05:58 AM »
I've got the basic roll and the konging up onto something under control. My attempts to Kong over something (Like a picnic table) fall well short of the desired goal however. It may just be a mental block, but I was wondering if the dive in the advanced roll was similar to what is done when konging over an object (the horizontal in the air motion).

Thoughts?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Kongs and advanced rolls
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 07:44:58 AM »
I've got the basic roll and the konging up onto something under control. My attempts to Kong over something (Like a picnic table) fall well short of the desired goal however. It may just be a mental block, but I was wondering if the dive in the advanced roll was similar to what is done when konging over an object (the horizontal in the air motion).

Thoughts?

my thoughts? no...not similar, one is diving to gain distance through the air. the other is to closely follow the ground so its like you never left it.

you dont really "dive" in an advanced roll, its more of a push.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:00:53 AM »
I'm not entirely sure what max is talking about... They are similar in that your feet leave the ground, and it's in a diving motion. With the kong, however, you need a little more "spring" in your jump to gain enough height and distance to clear the obstacle, whereas with a dive roll you are diving with more forward momentum without much regard to height (unless you're dive rolling over something).

Unless the advanced roll you guys are referring to is different than what I'm thinking about... >.>
Your obstacle is my shortcut.

Offline Prancer

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 04:46:27 PM »
Well right now I haven't learned advanced rolls yet. This is all just theory based on what I have seen in videos.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Trevor

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »
I have been told that when doing kongs you gotta really lean forward to bring your legs up so you don't clip 'em. But I'm not sure....

I honestly have one major goal in life, and I will do whatever I can to accomplish it.

Offline Marquiz Xavier Teniente

• Patas
  • As the spirit wanes, the form appears.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 04:33:43 PM »
I just recently learned to kong. They're a bit shaky but I think I can explain it. Quite simply you're diving forward. While you dive you kinda kick your feet up so they'll clear the obstacle. If you do it right you can feel how that upward kicking motion carries you over the obstacle. Then just remember to pull your legs in while you approach the ground like after a long jump.

Honestly it's a very fluid natural feeling movement, once you get used to it anyways.
"In 1953-1954 we dérived for three or four months straight. That’s the extreme limit. It’s a miracle it didn’t kill us."
—Ivan Chtcheglov

Offline Prancer

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 03:06:24 PM »
I just recently learned to kong. They're a bit shaky but I think I can explain it. Quite simply you're diving forward. While you dive you kinda kick your feet up so they'll clear the obstacle. If you do it right you can feel how that upward kicking motion carries you over the obstacle. Then just remember to pull your legs in while you approach the ground like after a long jump.

Honestly it's a very fluid natural feeling movement, once you get used to it anyways.

This was very helpful. thankyou
-Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Eric Tracy

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 10:32:50 PM »
I would like to point out that the legs should not be all that carries you over an obstacle.

there are 2 more variable
1- momentum
      -this one is obvious... the faster you go into it the farther you go out
2- the arms
      -when your hands are leaving the obstacle push both up and forward
             (this helps a lot... i can get 8 inches forward with just this)

hope this helps
-They took my wings...
   well...
     -I found a new way to fly...

Offline toxinsedge

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 08:00:58 AM »

Thoughts?

i used to have this exact same problem a couple months ago. it felt like no matter what i could not conserve my momentum to bring me up and over the obstacle at hand (for me my obstacle was also a picknic table). after hundreds upon hundreds of times trying to kong vault over i finally found my problem... wel actually there were two problems.

first, i was hesitating before the jump/ vault therefore losing valuable momentum, making me fall short of my goal.

second, i was not properly ditributing my momentum when i dived... byt saying this i mean that i was not diving into the picknic table yet i was doing more of a monkey vault over it (where  one puts their hand on the obstacle before they vault over it) and therefore i lost most all of my momentum as i was slowing down to reach the table.

hope this helps
Parkour is not about who is better than who, it is about freedom of the body and soul, about self-expression. Parkour is a way of life. A freedom not expressed in any other sport.

Offline Clinton Swaim

• Patas
  • Replace "I can't" with "I am challenged with".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 08:46:11 AM »

Thoughts?

i used to have this exact same problem a couple months ago. it felt like no matter what i could not conserve my momentum to bring me up and over the obstacle at hand (for me my obstacle was also a picknic table). after hundreds upon hundreds of times trying to kong vault over i finally found my problem... wel actually there were two problems.

first, i was hesitating before the jump/ vault therefore losing valuable momentum, making me fall short of my goal.

second, i was not properly ditributing my momentum when i dived... byt saying this i mean that i was not diving into the picknic table yet i was doing more of a monkey vault over it (where  one puts their hand on the obstacle before they vault over it) and therefore i lost most all of my momentum as i was slowing down to reach the table.

hope this helps

Very good advice.
+1. :D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 08:55:06 AM by Clinton Swaim »