Author Topic: Hebertism  (Read 8874 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Hebertism
« on: July 13, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »
Treego Duchesnay in Quebec, Canada. OFFICIAL WEBSITE

The forest adventure  course is set among the treetops and runs from tree to tree by means of monkey bridges, wooden footbridges, nets, cables, zip slides, beams, etc. The course takes up to 3 hours to complete and is accessible to all whatever their level of agility or experience. Safety during the course is provided by means of a harness, a double lanyard and two carabineers worn by the participant which is attached to a life-line (red-coated steel cable). Instructions on the whole procedure given prior to departure. Some times the view on the fjord is awesome, at other times, only the top of trees and the lush vegetation is the only thing visible. However, at all time thee vegetation must be left untouched as much as possible. A real incursion into nature's private kingdom!

They have 5 courses. The black course is the "No Limits" course. Cost = C$ 29.75

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Re: Hebertism
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 04:05:41 PM »
Wow that is sweet.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Jon

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I dont go through walls, I'm above that.
    • View Profile
    • HuntPK
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 04:25:50 PM »
looks like i need a bigger yard
amazing! ;D
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-Confucius
:::====(=''')- (guitar emoticon)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:53:36 PM »
http://www.arbraska.com/
http://treetoptrekking.com/en is the English version

They've got 4 Hebertism locations in Quebec, and 1 in Ontario.
It's like $62 for 3 hours of play time.

Treetop Trekking Arbraska is presently recruiting guides for its aerial courses. We are looking for athletic, dynamic and available individuals who possess the attributes required to offer quality customer service and who enjoy working in the outdoors. We offer part-time and on-call employment during the winter (December to March). The individuals hired during the winter are able to keep their employment (full time) during the summer (May to September). LINK

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 12:48:11 AM »
Wow, If I could leave the country I would actually consider taking the job. Think they would hire me, not sure I have the qualifications  ::)
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:53:06 AM »
Hahaha  ;D you'd be making the grannies run through one of your warm-ups. Definitely not qualified ;D
Nah - you'd be fine. Since no can, mebbe find way to do something similar at da kine [Oahu].

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 12:51:11 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6QJ6nnGNCs

Hebertism video from ROSKA vzw in Asse Belgium. It's good, but no English subtitles, so I only picked up a few words.
ROSKA does conditioning, Olympic gymnastics training, and Hebertism.

GOOGLE TRANSLATE of the Roska.be site.
GOOGLE TRANSLATE of a Frank Mats essay on Hebertism.

Ozzi - they train with their dogs, just like you do!

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »
GOOGLE TRANSLATE for Federation Belge Hebertisme MN page.

I've seen English versions of this page at a couple Australian/ Tazmanian sites. But this idea I hadn't grasped yet:

Therefore, the method of physical education developed by HEBERT is based on natural gestures and utilities. Inspired as it is known by the primitive continually active, they are in motion. To achieve this in a relatively small area HEBERT, naval officer, had about him the possibility of using the ship's deck where he was upgrading the sailors. This explains why groups of gymnasts working on this "plateau" are divided into "waves" of four or five people. On land, the board becomes a quadrilateral, preferably grass. Waves moving in front, one after another, across the board by doing the exercise proposed by the monitor and return to the baseline, in single file, from the side.

HERE is the general plan for the MN course at Thuin [Belgium - Hainaut]. It has a starting point and 22 stations. I'll list the stations, and link to the pictures... VERY COOL: if you click on "PLAN" under the pictures, it gives you the blueprints to build the obstacles.

0 - Entry
1 - Chichane: Vault 1m, crawl under .5m, vault 1m, vault 1m, crawl under .5m, vault 1m [To the side is a smaller: vault .8m, crawl .4m]
2 - Balance: on a smooth 7-8m pole. One end is .5m above the ground.
3 - Tunnels: Looks like they have 3. The plans are for tunnels built into the side of a hill. I'm not sure how long they actually are. The front one looks maybe 8m, and the back one maybe 10m long?
4 - Tunnels: They're showing the same pic, so there must just be 2 tunnels.
5 - Himalayan Bridge
6 - Unstable Balance A square beam suspended above the ground by ropes followed by two stable beams.
7 - Track: Like a ladder on the ground with round crossbars you have to step on.
8 - Gantry: Hard to describe. Here's the picture. What do you do? I'm not sure. There's a climbing rope, climbing ladder, climbing net, inclined bar, a couple lines coming down... the plan also has a sand pit for long jumps.

9 - Parallel bars even and uneven.
10 - Guadeloupe: An A-frame climbing structure

11 - Jumps A couple angled barriers to jump/ vault over.
12 - Palisades Climb up... there's no platform for jumping from. So climb down, climb up, climb through the "window" and jump down into the sand pit. Traceurs and maniacs might try wall-up to cat/ underbar?
12 bis - Carry: 3, 5, and 7 kg weights chained to the ground. From the pic it looks like you lay on the ground and do bicep curls?
13 - Ford: Cross the "stream" by jumping from stump to stump.
14 - Throw: Toss a ring over a post.
15 - Rocks Big rocks. Climb on them.
16 - Parrots ?Walk up to a platform, jump off and grab the handles on one of the smooth posts?

17 - Pyramid Climb up. ?Slide down pole and crawl out?
18 - Hanging rings
19 - Wire: But there's no wire. Walk on thin beam, holding onto thicker one at 1.2 or 2 m?
20 - ?Soup tureen? ?Climb up the metal pole? Hang on? Slide down?
21 - Tours Climb up, climb down.
22 - Barriers: 5 barriers .5m, .75m, 1m, 1.25m, 1.5m to vault - 2.5m apart from each other.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 10:24:35 PM »

20 - ?Soup tureen? ?Climb up the metal pole? Hang on? Slide down?

Bring your girl, have her dance, get creative  ;D ::) (I miss the little devil emoticon.)

I swear one day, I will have the terrain and money to built there. I SWEAR!!!!!!!!
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 09:44:14 AM »
THAT'S why Hebertism never caught on. No pole dancing.  x:D [That's the "devil" emoticon]

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »
GOOGLE TRANSLATE of an article "The Natural Method of Georges Hébert or « the naturiste school » in physical education (1900-1939)"

Sylvain and Delaplace talk about the history of natural methods and movement hebertism demonstrates the existence of exchange, reciprocal influences between field of physical education and the naturist field.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 04:07:53 PM »
GOOGLE TRANSLATE on Origins of the Natural Method: Georges Hebert and the teaching of physical education in the French Navy http://www.stratisc.org/RIHM_83_24.htm [International Review of Military History]

He graduated 60th of 72 from his school. "Indolent", "soft light nature", "mediocre place", "bad behavior"... and then he turned his life around into technical director of physical exercises in the Navy. It's a pretty cool article, even in Google Translate, for those who want to know more about the guy behind Methode Naturelle.

"The practice of physical exercise must always remain subject to completion of an ideal human; the strengthening of the body can not be understood without the one of character and of the will."

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 02:58:07 PM »
I was watching some program on HGTV [Home and Gardens] with my wife. This real estate agent took a bunch of her agents and hit one of the ropes courses - I recognized the obstacles - I'm guessing it was Arbraska in Barrie, Ontario, Canada.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 01:58:36 PM »
Found this at PARKOURPEDIA

Georges Hébert – History

To understand La Méthode Naturelle, it is helpful to understand the man who created it, through doing so you may better understand why he created it.

Georges Hébert was born in Paris on April 27th 1875, this boy whose fate nobody could foresee, nor imagine the influence that he would have in the field of physical education. At the age of 18, he entered naval school and quickly became an officer of the French Marines. Navigating ships, he admired the strength, flexibility and physical resistance of the gabiers (seaman who works aloft in boats), real athletes moving on ropes and aloft.

Within the Marines, Hébert crossed the oceans and visited distant parts of the world where natives lived a primitive existence. They were physically well built, healthy and of a radiant physical condition. Hébert noticed that these tribes owed their shape to the daily physical exercise which they practised by carrying out the natural movements necessary for their subsistence: running, jumping, throwing, carrying, swimming, etc.

He witnessed some revolutions in South America as well as the Cuban insurrection, events which highlighted the attitude and behaviour of the men faced with difficult situations.

On May 8th 1902 the volcano of the Peeled Mountain erupted, Hébert, was on board the “SUGHET” which was anchored in Fort, France. During the eruption which destroyed the city of St Pierre de la Martinique he participated in the rescue of survivors (40,000 people were buried under debris and the lava in minutes), once again, he realised the importance of physical condition and strength of character, essential to be able to act efficiently in such situations.

Becoming an athlete and preoccupied by physical education, G.Hébert undertook study for a plan to reform the education of gymnastics in the Navy. In 1903, he was appointed to the school of the marine riflemen of Lorient to put into practice his ideas. From 1904, he is authorized to apply his principles to a group of 1,200 men and, in 1905, he introduced the usage of the “quoted performance”, based on five tests, it allowed the determination the progression of the results from the Natural Method. In 1909, Hébert was made responsible for applying it to all services of the Navy. In the meantime, he improved and introduced the concept of working by “waves”, principles of individual freedom in collective work and the alternation of strenuous and moderate effort. He gave demonstrations in the main cities of France and presented the results of 350 sailors to the International Congress of Physical education of Paris in 1913.

The public, teachers and journalists were won over. From his success he was able to create an Institute of Physical education to teach the method. Soon, Hébert became the director of the Athletes’ secondary school of Reims, created with the support of the marquis de Polignac.

1914! War erupts. While a first lieutenant Hébert ’s was seriously injured in Dixmude leading a company of marine riflemen. The event was mentioned in the dispatches of the army. After a long recovery from his wounds (he nearly lost the usage of an arm), he was placed in charge of the physical training of the soldiers. Headquarters acknowledged the “huge advantages of Héberts Method”. At the end of the war, in 1918, the athletes’ secondary school of Reims was in ruins so Hébert orientated his action towards the physical education of children and the women by creating gymnastics schools to help them. But the youth of the post-war period dreamt only about spectacles, about matches and about records, to the detriment of useful physical education. This mentality caused Hébert decide to lead a campaign against commercialized and badly organised sports. He published an article “Sports against Physical education” which created for him opposition and problems in the sports press.

Hébert developed the principles of the Natural Method in several books published from 1936 “Physical Education moral and virile with the Natural Method”. Although not perfect, the Natural Method progresses and Hébertiste centres are created little by little everywhere in France.

The second world war started in 1940(1939). The Government of marshal Pétain adopted Méthode Naturelle for the physical education of young people and modified it. Hébert judged that those modifications altered its philosophy. He published a booklet in which he distanced himself from the collaborators# and their principles of education.

1955 celebrated the fiftieth birthday of the Natural Method and G.Hébert was given the title of commander of the Légion d’Honneur by the French Government who wanted to convey to him the French gratitude for his actions.

The collection of his writings continued to expand with the publication of volumes dedicated to the different families of the natural method. He had just finished the writing of the last one on swimming when a heart attack killed him, on August 2nd, 1957.

George Hébert leaves us a method of physical education with efficient principles: movement, freedom of action, continuity, alternation of efforts, gradation of intensity, etc.

This article ends with Hébert’s definition of Physical education by Natural Method: “a methodical, progressive and uninterrupted action, from childhood to adulthood, assure the entire physical appearance; to augment organic resistance; to emphasize aptitude on all types of natural and useful exercises is necessary; to develop energy and all other qualities of action or virility; finally to target all your physical an virile knowledge to a predominant moral idea: ALTRUISM!*”

*Altruism definitions:
- unselfish concern for the needs or interests of others, providing gratification vicariously or from their responses.
- A form of behaviour in which an individual risks lowering its fitness for the benefit of another.
- Altruistic actions are those performed for the sake of others. Altruism is the hypothesis that morality involves acting for the sake of others.

#collaborators = the name of the French government who worked with Hitler during WW2.
REFERENCE

This article is translated. The original can be found here: http://fvwi.tripod.com/hebertisme.htm

turtlekarma

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 04:49:59 PM »
those obstacle courses looked awesome... I know there's something similar ish on kauai... forget what the place is called, but it's got a zip line and various obstacle course like stuff to play on.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 05:10:48 PM »
There are a couple zip lines here on Maui, too. Also, I know Seabury Hall used to have a zip line, climbing wall... not sure if they had a ropes course, tho.

King's Cathedral used to have a gnarly climbing wall. It was super cheap, and I never got to use it. They took it down to make room for school classes, but they still have some of the holds... only sold some of them. I know who they sold them to. Not sure if Roy has done anything with them or not. They're building new classrooms. P Josh hinted to me that we can re-install some of the wall if the demand is there... not sure how that will work with liability insurance.