Author Topic: Freerunning Club promo  (Read 6573 times)

Offline The Unexpected

• Patas
    • View Profile
Freerunning Club promo
« on: July 11, 2006, 09:55:25 AM »
Last year I attempted to start a freerunning club at my school, but was unable to do so.  Now however, we have T.V.'s in our school that play a series of short videos each week to promote school activities.  I made a freerunning video that I hope will get peoples' interest sparked in the sport.  Let me know what you think.  Any critique or comments you have on how to make the video better, or any video links that I could use to find better footage would be most appreciated.

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/11795/its%20here_0002.wmv

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
Re: Freerunning Club promo
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 10:15:16 AM »
That sure is enough to spark people's attention, but there are a lot of crazy-high drops and flips that might spark some unwanted attenetion from authority figures. Since its freerunning, and you made the distinction between flips and parkour, the flips are fine, but you might want to stick with the ones on the ground and maybe add some gym footage to make it seem a little bit more controlled and safe. I would advise at least taking out Skynative's recockulous drops and gaps, because very very few among the human population will ever dream of doing those and even fewer doing them safely.
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline The Unexpected

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 11:21:11 AM »
As far as I know.  I'm the only traceur (freerunner...whatever the hell you want to call it) in my school.  This is why I chose to put in the hugest things that I could find - no one has an eye for it.  I can't just show somone a real nice kong precision because they don't know it's actually far more difficult than it looks.  I have to put in the humungoid stuff!  Also, I will explain to the administrators that the people in the video are some of the best, and that the people in the club will not be doing the crazy gaps and drops.  No one will have any experience so by the time they ge their knowledge of the sport to the level where they consider doing big jumps, they will also know their limits and be able to accuratley assess the risk.  What did you think of the timing of the music?

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 11:36:12 AM »
good put put in web addresses so they can know where to go to learn.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 04:03:32 PM »
I say keep it as it is man... That was a REALLY awesome collection of clips, and you clearly said it wasn't all parkour.
Good luck with recruiting!

Edit: Oh yea, forgot is was going to be played in a school.... you might want to downplay some of the huge backflips and flip's, because the school won't want to be responsible  for injuries.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 06:03:14 PM by Johnny Boy »
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 04:27:05 PM »
I personally don't think it is good to advertise a school club with such huge and difficult stunts. Not only will it make the administration more nervous and cautious, but its not realistic to advertise a bunch of stuff that they will never be capable of or require years of training to achieve.

Offline The Unexpected

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 04:58:46 PM »
I will hear none of this "The moves are too big" talk.

LALALALALALALALALALALALALALA
IM NOT LIIIISTEENNIIIIIIING
LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALLALALA

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 05:33:53 PM »
ok. I am inbetwwen you want to get people in but you adont want to raise their hopes. Find some amature clips to replace some of the other clips is what i recomend.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline The Unexpected

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 05:43:52 PM »
I guess here is my main issue with showing the easier movements.  People nowadays aren't very accepting, and kids my age are very succeptable to what other people think about them.  If I show amateur traceurs then people will just be like "Dude, are you in that gay jumping club?".  First impressions are everything.  It's not just for those who will join the club, but also to keep those who will not join off of our backs.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 05:45:13 PM »
so you are doing it to look cool and impress people into respecting you.

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 05:48:02 PM »
so you are doing it to look cool and impress people into respecting you.

wait.. were not supposed to be doing that...*BACKS AWAY*

Austin, although i see where your comming from, that way only brings on superficial people. If somoen gets intrested in the ameture stuff, then they are usally a keeper ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 05:51:04 PM by The Manilla Gorilla »

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »
I was about to say the same thing manilla. If you have to show the big stuff in order to get people to join, then it's safer to have no one join. Cause you may be able to control what they do in the class. But what happens when they leave. If anyone bothers you, so what. Do you care when someone stares as you train? just keep training, don't let it bother you.

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 06:39:02 PM »
im trying to get one started at my school next year (sept) i dunno if im gonna get enough participants
"Its not that we're the best, its that everybody else sucks"

Offline The Unexpected

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 06:45:42 PM »
Yarg!  It won't attract superficial people! But people won't join if the superficial people are constantly heckling them, so they MUST think it's cool and be impressed.  THe point of the video is to look cool and impress people, but that is NOT the point of the club.  If somone who is superficial joins and realizes we aren't pulling that crazy stuff, then they can quit.  But what if somone who is like that joins and discovers that they love the sport?

P.S.  If somone is as dedicated and as hardworking as somone else, but they only do so so they may impress others, where is the harm in that?  We all have our own individual reasons for enjoying parkour, and if impressing others is that reason then so be it!

Offline SkyNative

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 06:11:17 PM »
I appreciate your enthusiasm, and ambition to start a club.
But its nice to ask people's permission before using their stuff.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 06:30:53 PM »
It's also a good idea to be the least bit open to suggestions if you're going to ask for them.

I'm afraid you're really just wasting people's time in asking if all you're going to do is be defensive. People have raised good points, but you seem very set.

If you are only concerned that people wil think it's a gay jumping club, then maybe you need to reevaluate your reasons for starting this club. Besides, not to be picky, but didn't you just resign from Parkour? What kind of club will this be, a "Thing like Parkour but not called parkour club"??
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline The Unexpected

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 07:47:08 PM »
freerunning.  It has to have a name.  And I can't call it jump club.  I am open to suggestions, and I actually think that in retrospect I may take the huge hits out.  But I don't care if people think I'm retarded for jumping about.  But others who might otherwise join do care.  So they need somthing to buffer those with sharp tounges.  you silly man!

It says in the video it's not parkour, so me no longer practicing doesn't have much to do with it.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 09:40:25 PM »
Dude...so with you on this one SkyNative.

Also, if you didnt want people to talk about what could be potential wrong with the video...then dont ask.  Yes, there are dangerous things in the video.  You will get people who are attracted to that as well as people just wanting to do a flip.  Just beware of that.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline The Unexpected

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 09:38:50 AM »
Thats a good point... :-\

I think you guys are right about the big jumps...darn.  I thought they looked so damn cool!!!  But you're right about them I think.

Sorry if I seemed resistant, but I cling to big airtime like a madman.  Thanks for the advice.  Did you think it was too repetetive at the very end where I just run through 4 or 5 clips of the dvinsk clan vid?

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 09:50:36 AM »
Thats a good point... :-\

I think you guys are right about the big jumps...darn.  I thought they looked so damn cool!!!  But you're right about them I think.

Sorry if I seemed resistant, but I cling to big airtime like a madman.  Thanks for the advice.  Did you think it was too repetetive at the very end where I just run through 4 or 5 clips of the dvinsk clan vid?
The big jumps do look cool but it's not good for attracting the right people.

Also I confused to about you resigning, can you be clear?
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle