Author Topic: The Real Crazy Talk!!  (Read 28238 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: The Real Crazy Talk!!
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »
Thanks. Sorry if I was whining. I'm very thankful to have jobs, wife, purpose... +, health, friends, & everything...
Well, I need to get back to all that. Hope you're all having a great day!

Offline Stacie

• Patas
  • Holy [insert witty word or phrase here], Batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2010, 06:17:04 PM »
No need to apologize. We all need to bitch, gripe, moan, vent here and there. It's human...and it keeps us from blowing up and losing it in the worse possible situations. You're cool, man.  ;D
"Do NOT...eat that. It is a poisonous...magicpie!"

turtlekarma

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2010, 12:12:30 AM »
No need to apologize. We all need to bitch, gripe, moan, vent here and there. It's human...and it keeps us from blowing up and losing it in the worse possible situations. You're cool, man.  ;D

bitch, complain...oh pity me...okay that was mine for today all pow

Offline Stacie

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2010, 09:12:49 AM »
haha!! Oh, today's gonna be awesome! Basically this week, I have to juggle between a mission (cause I'm the only damn person on it right now) and getting my crap together to turn in my transfer packet so I'm all set to leave in 3 months. It's insane!! *plays circus music* :P

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »
I gotta feeling... today's gonna be a great day [x2]... today's gonna be a great great...

Stacie - Where you hoping to transfer?

APA's DSM-5 Seeking a new definition for psychopathic personality disorders. They've dropped from 12-14 personality traits/ disorders to five. They're also trying to define personality traits, facets of those traits, levels of impairment, etc. DSM-5 is set for release in 2013. It's not as fast as the "Are You a Psychopath" quiz, but it's way more interesting... 'cuz it's the real thing.

It got me thinking, "Do traceurs have a way of thinking about themselves, others, and the world around them that is significantly different? Who tries parkour? Who drops out?"
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:06:40 PM by Gregg »

turtlekarma

« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2010, 07:02:26 PM »
I gotta feeling... today's gonna be a great day [x2]... today's gonna be a great great...

Stacie - Where you hoping to transfer?

APA's DSM-5 Seeking a new definition for psychopathic personality disorders. They've dropped from 12-14 personality traits/ disorders to five. They're also trying to define personality traits, facets of those traits, levels of impairment, etc. DSM-5 is set for release in 2013. It's not as fast as the "Are You a Psychopath" quiz, but it's way more interesting... 'cuz it's the real thing.

It got me thinking, "Do traceurs have a way of thinking about themselves, others, and the world around them that is significantly different? Who tries parkour? Who drops out?"

fun fact if you diagnose according to dsmIV about 85% of people have AT LEAST ONE mental disorder...so being "normal" is actually kind of rare.  also dsm has never been evidence based...so be wary of how much you prescribe to it. 

Offline Stacie

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2010, 09:02:19 PM »
Crazies...and Gregg, I'm going to Monterey, CA for a year..then coming back to ze island!!!  ;D

Oh yah, and I got me some pretty colors above my knee cap today from my clash with a rail last night. It was brilliant!!

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2010, 11:27:29 AM »
Stacie - glad you'll be back. Also, I'm praying that knee heals well, quickly!

fun fact if you diagnose according to dsmIV about 85% of people have AT LEAST ONE mental disorder...

Exactly. So that's why it's here in Crazy Talk ;D The way I see it, the new personality thing can be [over]simplified as:

1: How much negative emotion does the person have [sadness  :(, fear  :o, anger  >:(, disgust  :P, etc.]?
2: How much is that negative turned inward ->[to self]<- or outward <-[towards others]->?
3: How much do they control/ contain impulses vs. embrace/ express impulses?
4: Thought processes on range from [][] rigid compulsion, --- linear, /\/\ random leaps

MindSick happens at the extremes.

Offline ehk16

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Determined.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2010, 11:41:24 AM »
sorry about my other post i forgot even just after reading this thread. Anyways anyone who can help please do with these questions!!! What you guys think about the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Is it a good school? How is the campus? Are the teachers good? Is the marine biology program any good? And most important is there a parkour community there who is open to new comers?

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2010, 12:43:33 PM »
http://www.studentsreview.com/HI/UHM.html rate UH-M a C- and most would not return. I thought maybe there was a bias, but after checking some other schools I know... I'm going to guess this is fairly accurate.

The marine bio program was rated ok, but after reading the comments, I would probably go elsewhere.

I've heard the parkour is great there, tho ;D The HIpk Oahu guys go there a lot.

Offline ehk16

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Determined.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2010, 03:35:23 PM »
yeah I saw those reviews and that site but I wasn't sure if it was credible. I guess they are however. Thanks.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »
Ryan: nevermind. The DSM-5 personality just looks like the extreme, pathological version of Myers-Briggs. Blah!  :P Looks like they just took out the scale for S v N [Sensing v. iNtuiting]  or maybe combined it.

I didn't see it when I was typing it, but it felt really obvious to me when I drew it on paper.

eck16: I think there were several things going on: wrong expectations about Hawaii, culture clash between local and mainland, some programs that are weak, financial problems [culture + bureaucracy + big expense for people from ML], and lots of students commute [so not as much of a social scene as in a "College Town"].

I could be wrong. Some people love UH-M, and I've heard good things about their Marine Bio program. UH-Hilo I've heard well, and the students there rated it a little better, but you're living in a small town in the middle of a rainforest in the middle of an ocean. Some people can't handle it.

A lot depends what you expect, and what you want.

turtlekarma

« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2010, 04:58:06 PM »
yeah I saw those reviews and that site but I wasn't sure if it was credible. I guess they are however. Thanks.

since i can only write with one hand i'm going to make this short...i agree with gregg it's a (C) to a (C-) school for the average student.  if you are from here and most likely wont find a scholarship to help you cover costs of going school on mainland...then that grade might go up a little if you're strapped for cash.  another thing is that although a university provides resources...education is only as good as how the student takes advantage of those resources.  what i mean is if you wait for them to teach you, inspire you, indulge you...you're wasting your time paying to go to college.  I'm a senior at UH Manoa psychology major and I have o say I've gotten a 100k education here in the island.  i say this because i utilized the resources available to my maximum benefit.  on average a BA in psychology is useless if all you do in school is complete requirements you need to graduate...my experience involved multiple internships, teaching psy 100, designing research projects and conducting them under mentor-ship of professors who are well known in the field...hopefully getting my work published, i've taken grad school level courses, i'm in every honor society offered for psychology that's legit, i'm actively involved in assisting other undergrads with thier research...etc...basically your education is what you make of it.  i'm by no means a exceptional student intellectually, but i'm passionate about my education and search out resources that can be used to my benefit.  big schools like usc might have more resources, world class professors, programs with rich history of excellence and what not available...but the draw back is that they also have more competition among students for those resources.  

we have a pretty decent marine bio program...but it depends on your focus within that is.  whatever is popular and gets the most attention gets the most funding and usually attracts bigger names.  uh is a research school, so if you're looking for practicum then you might want to go somewhere else.  ahh hand tired ask more q's if that's not enough.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2010, 05:14:02 PM »
Ryan: Five more posts and you're the antichrist! jk...

Ekh: What Ryan says, but more of it. Attitude applies anywhere, not just in school. Parkour: Everybody's got strengths and weaknesses. You can sit on your couch watching pk vids, or you can train. You can hang out with your friends, or you can work out with your friends. Take advantage of your strengths, and try to reduce the weaknesses.

Offline ehk16

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Determined.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »
well I am all about learning. I don't care for a degree nor a profession, I am looking for a place to study, be in touch with the natural world, and be happy. I have been looking at Hawaii because it is such a naturally beautiful place. That why I thought it would be fit to study plants and animals and to learn more about life. But I guess I could say my expectations are not very big, I just want to learn and make friends. I have also been looking at the University of Hawaii at Hilo on college board and student review. But this doesn't portray the place I would think it would be. Also how often does it rain there?

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2010, 05:47:09 PM »
When I was working in Hilo, it rained a little every evening. Sometimes a lot, for a short period of time. Hilo rainfall average is 130 inches a year at the coast, 200 upslope. Last March they had one day where they got almost 7 inches of water in 16 hours.

If you're not looking for a degree or profession, why do you want to study Marine Biology in a college/ university setting? [Just curious]. Hawaii is beautiful, no doubt about it.

If you find it easy to make new friends where you are now, you'll find it easy to make friends anywhere. Likewise, if you find it hard where you live now, you'll find it even more frustrating if you move here. The culture is different, lots of the local slang/ pidgin is way different, food... prices... It comes down to being friendly and respectful. 

Offline ehk16

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Determined.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2010, 01:51:47 PM »
@Greg
When I said "I don't care for a degree nor a profession" I really meant that my main reason for going to college is to learn, to me getting a degree isn't a good reason to go to college. If that makes any sense. The way i put it before wasn't the best I guess. Anyways thanks so much for the help everyone. If there is anything else that I should know about UHM do tell.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2010, 02:05:03 PM »
Makes perfect sense. Hope you're able to find a place that's a good fit for you, whether on HI or not. ;D

Offline Stacie

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2010, 06:30:07 PM »
@Greg
When I said "I don't care for a degree nor a profession" I really meant that my main reason for going to college is to learn, to me getting a degree isn't a good reason to go to college. If that makes any sense. The way i put it before wasn't the best I guess. Anyways thanks so much for the help everyone. If there is anything else that I should know about UHM do tell.

Nice!! I think I like this guy already! ;D

Offline Stacie

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2010, 01:13:53 AM »
Yay for more ink!!!! But I have to say...I didn't realize my right leg was more sensitive than my left..left, I barely felt the needle...the right, I had to use a lot more breathing techniques. Wow, did that hurt. But it makes me feel doubly bad-ass for toughing through it...and I will still need to tough through a little more outlining, scales, and coloring.  ;D