Author Topic: MovNat/ Methode Naturelle TALK!!!  (Read 51357 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: MovNat/ Methode Naturelle TALK!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »
Yet another copy over...I know this isn't strictly MN any more. It's about interval training. I don't know if 170% or 250% of VO2 max is something you can easily figure, outside of a lab setting where you're hooked up to breath testing equipment.

@ t[Rainer] = I know. Rafe is from WA, Beretta's from CA, I'm from HI.
@ Cameron = thanks for the article. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/can-you-get-fit-in-six-minutes-a-week/?hp The summary was the best part:

Those six minutes, if they’re to be effective, must hurt. “We describe it as an ‘all-out’ effort,” Gibala says. You’ll be straying “well out of your comfort zone.” That level of discomfort makes some activities better-suited to intense training than others. “We haven’t studied runners,” Gibala says. The pounding involved in repeated sprinting could lead to injuries, depending on a runner’s experience and stride mechanics. But cycling and swimming work well.

I looked up Gibala's abstract. http://jp.physoc.org/content/575/3/901.short
Each session consisted of either four to six repeats of 30 s ‘all out’ cycling at ∼250% VO2 peak with 4 min recovery (SIT)

Total workout time/ week = [4 x :30 sprint + 3 x 4:00 recovery]*3 days/week = 42 min/ week. That doesn't count warm-up or cool-down, either. [WU/CD times aren't listed in the abstract]. Also, this test was only run for TWO WEEKS. So can you get fit in 6 minutes a week? No. But it makes a great article headline.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 11:47:35 AM »
http://gregcarver.com/blog/2009/training-in-nature-with-movnats-erwan-lecorre/

Very positive review of Erwan's first MovNattm training session.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 12:06:03 PM »

Erwan's moving to Boulder CO. This is great news for Ryan Ford, and the guys from COPK.
It's good news for anyone on the mainland, actually. It's a LOT closer than Brazil!

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 10:44:26 AM »

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 03:05:26 PM »
Watched it a few days ago, its being feature on fron page next week.

Great stuff./
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 01:25:04 PM »
One of the problems with forums is you lose good information over time. I found this thread on APK while I was searching for Methode Naturelle stuff.

Hi all, this is Erwan, 34, from France, also known as Hebertiste. This is a little message for you guys :

We're living in a world that consumes more and more things, constantly modifying them in order to fit one's desires and fantasies, so that about anything become disposable or can be customized.
Guys probably some of you want to feel free to do the same with parkour because you've been growing up with such a loose sense of what is REAL ;
Knowing the price of everything and the VALUE of barely nothing...
You want to be free to take anything and make it yours, your own way, and call it what you like right, isn't it so cooool to do so ? Go on that way. It won't change the nature of parkour anyways. Sould I say "true" parkour ? Unnecessary.

Parkour was created with some very clear and basic intention : being able to save one's own life. Nothing else.

Keep this in mind whenever you go out to do parkour. Use your imagination and think of an emergency situation, or dangerous one, because of a fire, a flood, a chase or else. If you can clear obstacles and that it means in such situation (or similar) you could save your life, job is done. If in addition to this it is graceful and "light", perfect. If you think tricks, flashy moves, flips etc...will help to save your lives, which I seriously doubt though...very seriously..., go for it guys, go for it...

But figure for a while you're in such an emergency situation, then you will know what is the true spirit of parkour.Its ACTUAL purpose.

I repeat :
Parkour was created with some very clear and basic intention : being able to save one's own life. Nothing else.

If you have something else in mind when doing parkour, forget about parkour, you're obviously doing something else. You've just got the wrong purpose, and whatever your moves look like, whatever they are, the true spirit is definetely not inspiring your mind. You kids are just playing.

I repeat again :

Go train.

Title: Re: Not Parkour, or is it?
Post by: Mark Toorock on January 16, 2006, 05:03:26 AM
Erwan has such a way with words!!

Thanks for sharing that Andi, it's very "On-target" and to the point.

Post by: Skipper on January 16, 2006, 05:25:44 AM
Very nice, thanks for posting that andi, and thanks for writing it Hebertiste!

Post by: Matthew Lee Willis on January 16, 2006, 07:31:50 AM
Good way of explaining it again...

Post by: Q Manimal on January 16, 2006, 07:47:28 AM
ive always trained relatively with that mindset, but it didnt really hit me til the other day sitting in school. if there was a school shooting, and i was almost anywhere in the school i could get outside without using the doors. if there was an actual fire, i could get out the window and get down. if im in a park and someone tries to mug me, i can almost definately get away. it was a parkour epiphany. the ability to roll to reduce damage alone could save my life. ive never jumped off a three story building, but if i ever had to, i think id be alot better off than the average person.

Post by: Ryan Ford on January 16, 2006, 10:38:31 AM
I repeat again :

and what about someone else's life? what about an emergency situation that isnt neccesarily life threatening? i think these should be included....

Post by: Mark Toorock on January 16, 2006, 10:41:43 AM
Good Point demon, quotes from David Belle say that "Parkour is to be used to help others" and certianly soldiers aren't in a situation to save their own lives, they're usually fighting for the cause of their nation, and definitely fight to help each other.

Although of course it doesn't change the sentiment behind Erwan's point.

Post by: Erwan on January 16, 2006, 11:56:27 AM
Obviously YES Demon. I just kept my post (initially posted on UF) right to the point, since anyways how can you save other's lives if you cannot save your own in the first place ?

Parkour is a specialization of the Methode naturelle, which motto is "Etre fort pour être utile" which means " Be strong to be useful ". David's dad, Raymond, was probably the best rescuer of all when still in duty. All pro firefighters in France are still trained by the Methode naturelle. Raymond greatly inspired his son to always go beyond his own limits and find solutions to escape (dangerous situation) and reach (safety place). If David hadn't first hardly and constantly trained that way, then himself inspired his little friends, then made a team, got in the medias etc...this VERY website and all parkour related websites, businesses, videos, teams, traceurs and all would never have existed. This is the roots of your inspiration,  training or even quest. It is all about inspiration, and spreading the word. But please guys don't forget the original spirit, the true essence, the real purpose : get stronger, faster, complete, so you are useful to yourself and others. If in addition to this you have lots of fun, its even better ;-)
Keep up with your training and everything that helps to help others, let them aware that it is important to be ready for any situation, and that it will greatly enhance their health and quality of life.

So naturally, practising Parkour might allow you to maybe save someone else's life one day. At least save your own. This is the real purpose. Anything else is "customizing" or ignorance. Good luck.

Post by: gearsighted on January 16, 2006, 01:00:53 PM
Absolutely excellent post Erwan, as usual. I have been perusing some word documents of your original conversations with Artful on UF a while ago, and your overall understanding of both Methode Naturelle and Parkour are inspiring, especially in your ability to simplify the underlying ideal.

Thanks for posting up, and welcome to the site!

Post by: andi k on January 16, 2006, 02:26:59 PM
I have been perusing some word documents of your original conversations with Artful on UF

i dunno what persiuthingy means but if you still have those documents why not upload/post them ? id like to see that stuff

Post by: The Manilla Gorilla on January 16, 2006, 02:28:16 PM
I think he means persuing, Which means he is trying to get them

Post by: Mark Toorock on January 16, 2006, 02:43:29 PM
I would guess he means perusing, just as he wrote, which means "browsing through at a liesurely pace" ...

I think with Erwan's permission he'd hapiply post them here, those were GREAT conversations.

Post by: Erwan on January 16, 2006, 02:51:21 PM
Agreed M2.

Post by: andi k on January 16, 2006, 02:51:22 PM
m2 i have an article for the site,  shall i email you it ?

edit: oops, i pressed quote, not IM. ah well..

Post by: Mark Toorock on January 16, 2006, 03:34:26 PM
Either way Andi, please do, we'd love to have it! :)

And Thanks Erwan, we'll get some of those posted in our Articles section!

Post by: gearsighted on January 16, 2006, 04:39:40 PM
Yes, I meant Perusing (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=perusing). I'm not sure if there is any background beyond this (I don't remember any, other than the other posts by Artful Dodger,) but here is the text of the word doc that Asa sent me the other day to help out with some research I'm doing on Methode Naturelle:

Don Jean Haberey (http://www.va-parkour.com/media/DonJeanHaberey.rtf)

Many thanks to whistolpip for the help and in-depth discussion afterwards!

If you haven't gotten to it by tomorrow, I'll post it as an article in the morning.

Post by: andi k on January 16, 2006, 06:45:02 PM
DONT DOWNLOAD !! VIRUS IN THE FILE !!

just kidding lol,  thanks gear  l

Post by: andi k on January 16, 2006, 06:48:49 PM
and there's absolutely no doubt that he inspired the quite younger kids that later on grew up developing their own style and techniques in the suburbs of Paris that lately came to the world as "le Parkour".

actually, from what ive heard, this is not up to date. erwan ?

Post by: Erwan on January 17, 2006, 01:23:53 AM
Indeed Andi, David told me he had never heard of him.

"I'll be cristal clear, I'm not claiming that Jean Don Habrey created first the Parkour. David Belle and his friends did.
But after all, Parkour is just a word, right ? Where does it actually begin and when ? Did doctor Georges Hebert initiated the parkour ? Yes and no right ?
However, Habrey is undoubtedly a pioneer since he was, as far as I know, the first guy to create a whole philosophy and technique of moving in the urban environment. When he started climbing onto bridges and jump from roofs to roof, back in the early 80's in Paris, means more than 20 years ago and Lisses teens were then...10 or so ! And he's now...60 years old."

I said it and I confirm again now : David Belle created Parkour (even though the word itself was created later on).
"Did doctor Georges Hebert initiated the parkour ?" Hébert and his Methode Naturelle book simply greatly inspired David, as well as his (then) living example of father.
Is Parkour just a word ? Yes, it is only a word, and any other could have been chosen. BUT eventually Parkour was chosen and it describes most of all an intent. A purpose. Getting out of that dangerous situation, train for it often so you can, if it ever shows up. Get able to help yourself or others in many types of situations.

Haberey had a different way of training, much closer to the Methode naturelle (in fact really similar), less spectacular somehow (no big jumps, since using no shoes), but more complete (including barefoot running, swimming, fighting, resisting cold or lack of food and sleep etc...).
But well, reading back part of  those previous posts of mine, I believe everything is explained.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 02:35:46 PM »
http://www.wildfitness.com/

They were one of the first groups Erwan trained [for MovNat cert?]. They seem to concentrate on running, boxing, and kettlebells [per their web site]. They push either a primate diet [eggs, fruits, nuts, berries, some vegetables] or hunter-gatherer diet [add fish and meat]. They offer holidays in Greece and Kenya, have independent coaches in the London area.

I've seen them on MovNat.com and ExuberantAnimal.com ... I'll keep watching them - see if they have enough cool stuff to warrant their own thread.

naturalninja

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 12:42:16 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30CUT_ONx6Q

testamonials:) i dunno why they only do kettlebells, boxing and running? apart from that they seem pretty deadly:)
i still prefer MovNat by a mile though:)

their youtube channel:) http://www.youtube.com/user/Wildfitnessmovies
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 12:49:33 AM by naturalninja »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 01:26:46 PM »
They do more than KB, box and run. That's just the core of their training. They also play Exuberant Animal games [Frank Forencich], stretch, swim, climb, go for boat rides, and sit around the fire playing guitar. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI9YPbJ6uHY&feature=related shows Erwan training in San Diego with the women of "Kettlebell Kamp". It's still photos with music, and the pace is WAY slow. Still - here's what it looks like they did:

Jump onto fixed stone spheres. Climb trees. Move around pillars. Walk/jog from flat ground over benches, picnic tables, back down. QM on a low wall. Jump from rocks to benches around edge of park. Drag partner - with your arms under their pits. Climb up stairs hunched over. Sideways climbs through railings. Lean abs over rail and balance. "Crab walk" down stairs. Stretching.

This is probably an "Exploration" type training.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 10:50:47 AM »
A couple hikes gone bad on Big Island this week. So have fun but be a little careful...

17-year-old Shea Walling of Honokaa died after he fell 80 to 90 feet down Mamaewa Gulch in South Kohala, Big Island.
He slipped while attempting to climb out of the gulch. Fire rescue personnel found Walling at the bottom of a dried up 120-foot waterfall. He was taken to Kona Hospital where he was pronounced dead 5 hours later.

Police said a 16-year-old male companion also fell and suffered cracked ribs and scrapes. He was listed in serious condition. A 19-year-old man who also was hiking with the group was not injured, the fire department said.

--- --- ---

A 43-year-old Norwegian woman who had been reported missing while hiking the Mauna Loa summit crater Wednesday was found in good health Thursday afternoon.

Responding to a 10:02 p.m. report of a missing hiker on Mauna Loa, firefighters with the Kaumana, Central and Waiakea fire stations concluded the woman became separated from her husband after he sat down to rest and she continued to hike the volcano's summit.

Her husband attempted to locate her after she failed to return, but became disoriented and hiked down to the Mauna Loa Observatory to call for help.

Fire rescue personnel weren't able to locate her Wednesday and continued their search Thursday morning with the help of Chopper 1 and a private helicopter, said Waiakea Fire Station Capt. Keith Laeha.

The woman, who Laeha described as a "seasoned hiker," apparently spent the night at the summit after she found an area sheltered from the wind. After sunrise Thursday she hiked down to the 7,000-foot elevation where she was located around 1:30 p.m.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 12:28:54 PM »
Sorry to hear about the dead kid.

On the other hand, about the missing woman.  I think she was trying to get rid of her husband  ;D
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2009, 12:55:53 PM »
Yeah - sounds like the hikers were trying to climb the falls, and fell. The reports don't say if it was loose rock, or if they were trying to do 5.10 moves without safety gear, but 2 of them fell.

Summit hikers - maybe he was having problems with the elevation. Disoriented, tired. Or maybe it was after sunset and he wanted to head back, and she wanted to reach the summit then head back. He's just lucky he made it to the observatory, and didn't fall off some cliff. At 10 pm, the sun would have been down for 3 hours or so... lows there have been 3c, so 36f [cold] with 5-15 mph winds.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 11:59:19 AM »
Picked this up from Barefoot Ted's blog while I was looking for something else. [from 2007]

Ted

I've just watched your video "ala méthode naturelle"(MN).
    It's good to see that ! However I might give you tips, if you don't mind, regarding the way you move across obstacles, which could be much improved.
    I do have a concern though because of the video, and I'm going to explain it to you and hope you understand :
    I'm preparing a website entirely dedicated to MN as you probably know.
    My big concern is the spreading of videos labeled "MN" that don't explain anything about what is the method and therefore could spread the wrong perception about what MN truly is. M stands for METHOD.
    I want to avoid people randomly performing natural drills but in a totally aleatory way, which is only for people that have no or very few understanding of the training principles.
    I do enjoy people training naturally in the nature, and that's my goal to eventually trigger such a trend worldwide and to bring people back to nature and their own nature !
    But you see, I have a plan.
    I don't know if you've ever heard of parkour, but parkour is a discipline that started here in French (due to the influence of MN) with guys training passing obstacles. No acrobatics,only the utility. No competition, only the self-growth.
    And now, because of tons of people made videos labeled "parkour" inculding flips and tricks and flashy moves, now many people think it's a lot about style and impressive stunts.
    Now, some people are even pushing for competitions !!! All that stands against the original philosophy. And there's not much that can be done because the founder didn't take care of that right from the start.
    I'm not the founder of MN, but I am the one who's going to revive it worldwide.
    There is no "my" interpretation or "my" application of MN.
    There is a method, if you use it, it is indeed the "Natural METHOD", if you don't, it's natural training (which is good anyways !!!).
    It's just that if you want to talk about MN, you must know its conceptions and training principles. It's not just a rough concept, Hebert wrote many books and explained his whole method with much details.
    I hope you understand my concern, it's because of the internet, soon we could have tons of young guys filming so-called "MN videos" but they don't know anything about the training principles or philosophy attached !
    It would create an ALTERATION and a DILUTION of the image of MN and this is what I want to prevent.
    I'm really glad you were inspired by the MN and I hope to meet you and train with you one day.
    I'm about to release more info soon, also in English. I will even pass it to you by email before it's online if you want, for you to better understand.
    My plan is to eventually build MN training centers worldwide.
    I plan to go to Brazil by the end of the year for this reason with a first pilot-center.
    If you want to become a complete natural athlete, and that's my hope that more and more people take this direction, I'd be very happy to help you with your training.

Cheers

Erwan
--- --- --- ---
    Monday, April 30, 2007
Blogger Barefoot Ted said...

Naturally, I need your advice and input in order to learn and apply
    the METHOD which I really know nothing about. I have no desire to
    dilute or misinform, so will be happy to be more careful with my
    wording. I respect your concern and desire to keep the METHOD pure
    and true to the original.

What I do know is this: I enjoy going out into nature to play. I
    like to run and climb and dance and swim. I like to be fit and injury
    free. For me, this comes quite naturally and has all my life.

BFT
--- --- --- ---
    Monday, April 30, 2007
Erwan said...

Ted no worries I know there was nothing else but a good intention :-).
    Plus you have the good mindset, willing to feel free, to go back to nature but also your own nature (our original human nature), to find a balance with our modern lifestyle, to avoid injuries by moderate and incremental training while making sure to make actual progress in ALL natural and utility capacities. You want that to improve your own life in a constructive and also fun way that feels natural to you.
    You have a generous mind and wish to share that with others to possibly help them feel better too, also to experience that wonderful feeling of natural freedom too, so why not to become a MN coach one day.
    All Hebert's books are very old and haven't been updated since more than 60 years. There's several ones, all in French, in which he explains everything about his conceptions and training method.
    Since I'm certainly not going to translate them all, I made a synthesis.
    I indeed have the vision of reviving his work worldwide and make it accessible to a greater number of individuals.
    My big concern is with :
    young people (that practice parkour because they all know parkour comes from MN) filming themselves randomly training "MN" just like they film themselves doing "parkour" because it make them feel special and "cool", but the issue is that they'll portray it wrong, giving no explanation to what they show and using music to make it look like a movie or something. They upload their stuff on the Internet, soon many others do the same, and soon the perception of what MN is is altered, misunderstood, diluted.
    My second concern is that there's many people out there willing to use anything new just to make bucks. If they can, they will use MN the wrong way for their own commercial goals.
    That's why I'm preparing to be totally free to focus 100% on developing MN but also try to avoid as much as I can such excesses.
    My plan is to build a strong new foundation for the method, worldwide.
    A serious network of people that truly believe this planet needs humans to change their behavior or else everything will go to an end.
    It's not political, it's not religious, it's not ideological.
    It's only common sense.
    Not yet enough "common" though hahaha.
    I want to show it is possible to practice physical activity a natural way with great fun and without equipment, just wood structures.
    To not destroy natural places with heavy concrete structures for a sporty activity. To not support polluting industries with plastic gear or else. To train rivalry free. To train for a helpful to others purpose in mind. To train and loose weight or get fit not as a goal, but as a natural consequence of a utility training.
    I'm deep inside of me convinced such a paradigm will happen, and that it will happen worldwide, and that it is already happening.
    And quite convinced the development of MN will greatly support such a new trend.
    I have the vision of numerous people going back to the woods, the rivers, the hills and mountains, and revive their own true nature, and find this strength and freedom. For free.
    It's not possible to tell you here whatever is in my mind about it.
    Maybe I'm a dreamer, maybe I do believe in this "reverse-evolution".
    Time will tell.

Train well buddy !

Erwan
--- --- --- ---
    Monday, April 30, 2007

Howdy Erwan

I hope to learn more about MN in the future and share what I learn to
    others. But how?

I believe that you need to make more instructional videos. I am
    looking forward to learning more.

BFT
--- --- --- ---
    Monday, April 30, 2007
Erwan said...

Ted, the problem with videos is that people start to think they know enough, especially the young guys. They're fast making videos of themselves and write inaccurate things about both training and conceptions.
    That's why I'm going to go step by step.
    First to release a long article with lots of excerpts from Hebert's books to have his conceptions better understood.
    The in a second time the training principles.
    Then I'll start making videos.
    Then I will arrange certification seminaries for people that want to become trainers. But it takes time, MN is really complete and a serious matter, you can't learn it overnight, and especially not learn how to teach it from videos.
    I'd like to see it spread also in the US. As regarding your own training, maybe we could arrange something in a next future.
    But you see, my concern is to avoid people practice (natural drills) kind of randomly and claim "this is MN" as I explained before.

If I may give you some advise, from what I see in your vid, you lack balance when running and jumping. You don't use your arms the right way. They seem to try to help readjust your balance all the time, when they should actually anticipate your moves and ensure you don't loose balance. They also should help you go faster or use less energy, but also jump further. They don't synchronize with the rest of your body.
    Your upper body looks stiff.
    I hope you understand my intention is only to help !
    You need to relax your arms and shoulders, and let your upper limbs work together with your lower ones. You need more plyometrics condition in your leg, because you seem to be a lot excentrics-concentrics, not "bouncing" see what I mean ?
    Balancing on a rail like you do is great, but it's not like balancing when in motion. You need to relax muuuuuuch more.
    I hope it helps my friend.

Cheers

Erwan
--- --- --- ---
    Monday, April 30, 2007

Yes, thank you very much for your words.

Yes, I will be an avid reader/studier/learner of your upcoming articles.

Also, I would like to post our recent emails in my blog comments if
    you don't mind. I want others to be aware of my naivety about MN
    along with my desire to learn more.

Very much looking forward to learning and absorbing as much as I can
    about MN. I really to need to attend a seminar.

BFT

PS. One of the newest additions to my training, something that I am
    surprised that MN is without, and that is drumming, i.e., drum circles
    (see Wikipedia) and/or musical /chanting/singing and its benefits.
    Have you done any group drumming
--- --- --- ---
    Monday, April 30, 2007
Erwan said...

Hi Ted, no problem posting something regarding your "MN".
    Actually yes, it could be called "MN" training but that's the kind of training for people that have only a very basic understanding of what MN is. When people that don't know what MN is, they say "hey, let's do some MN barefoot in the woods" and they won't understand what it is and spread misconceptions. My big concern like I said.
    MN is an educational method, attention to kids especially, to have them develop fully all of their natural and utility capacities, but also for grown-ups to maintain this development.
    It is a physical education, but also moral : to be strong to be useful, means to be able to help oneself, but also help others. Altruism is an important ethics of MN. It's not only the natural efforts or movements.
    You have read the little introduction on my website I guess.
    There's 10 kind of natural exercises/capacities.
    Drumming is great, just like dancing, BUT they're not utility capacities, more a cultural thing to entertain people. Your survival doesn't depend on drumming. However it does depend on your ability to walk, run, jump, climb, swim, lift, defend etc...
    so they're the priority capacities because they're the truly utility ones in order to develop and preserve oneself (as a living being).

It's easy for you to run, and also to run barefoot.
    My advise is that you should see what kind of capacity is LESS developed in you, like do you swim good ? Can you hold your breath ?
    How's your climbing ? How're you defense skills ?
    Can you walk on all your four limbs efficiently ?
    What about your jumps, vaults, drops, leaps ? Do you have enough speed, distance, precision ?
    You'll SOON understand there's MANY priority and utility skills you need to get, and that drumming is only after your training just to relax and have fun :-).

Tell me what areas you think you need to train most in order to have more homogeneous capacities.
    Yes, I forgot also, (mental) qualities of actions has to be trained as well. Will you know what it is with your ultra races, but some jumps especially require to be fast and brave. A different kind of courage. Think about it.

Train well buddy ;-)

Erwan
--- --- --- ---
    Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Haha Ted I've just noticed you've posted all of our correspondence on the matter. Hey remember English is only my second language, I know it can look very awkwardly written sometimes !
    Also it shows me you're a very sincere and respectful person.
    Have a great day.

Erwan
--- --- --- ---
    Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Erwan, your English is very good. Easy to understand.

BFT

naturalninja

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2009, 01:46:21 AM »
to go back to nature but also your own nature (our original human nature), to find a balance with our modern lifestyle, to avoid injuries by moderate and incremental training while making sure to make actual progress in ALL natural and utility capacities. You want that to improve your own life in a constructive and also fun way that feels natural to you.

YA!:D MOVNAT ROCKS SOCKS!!!!!!!!

agghhhh i wish erwans book would come out soon:(

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2009, 12:46:42 PM »
agghhhh i wish erwans book would come out soon:(

That's not going to happen until he has a solid number of people certified as Level 2 coaches. [Intermediate. At least]. Right now he doesn't even have many people certified as Level 1 [Beginner].

He'll start certifying Level 1 in 2010. I think you may get an inspirational book in 2011, but I wouldn't really expect a book on MovNattm Training Methods until 2012 at earliest. It's not that Erwan is a slow writer. History has shown that he's perfectly willing to write a LOT. His vision is to develop and certify coaches. That's not going to happen overnight. As he starts getting coaches certified at Level 1 this year, he's going to find that he needs to improve and refine his material. As they work with MovNattm for a year or so it's going to surface questions he hasn't had to explain before.

As he starts training Level 2 coaches, he'll have addressed enough of the Level 1 questions that he'll feel comfortable releasing a Level 1 book. It will probably be similar to his blog, mostly an inspirational book, with lots of pictures.

It's only as he starts training people to be Level 3 coaches [advanced] that he's going to work out enough of the Level 2 bugs to release a Level 2 book. I don't think this book will be widely released. Not at first, at least. May only be released to Level 2 and 3 coaches, and maybe some level 1 coaches.

So read through the "Practical Guide" and people who train with Erwan, but aren't Erwan. Try to think "From this reaction, from this description, what did he teach them? How did he teach it? How did MovNat change the way they teach or train?"

Best would be to train with him for an extended time... start saving your money up.

naturalninja

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 07:44:55 AM »
you seem to know a lot about what hes going to do, he said on his twitter that it'll hopefully be out by next spring, he also said there'll be a part on conditioning your (bare) feet so i reckon it'll be more than just inspirational writings, after all it is going to be "the philosohy and practice of natural movement.

yea im thinking about going during next summer 2010 or sometime 2011, as thats the earliest i could go (if i had the money id get on a plane tommorow!) but ill still be under 18 then and i dunno what the deal is with that (like if hes allowed train people who arn't 18)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 01:43:40 PM »
I don't know what he's going to do. All I can do is look at what he's done in the past, and make some guesses, based on the little I know of him. He progresses fast, but doesn't rush. He's concerned about getting things right. He wants to develop a coaching network, and doesn't want the idea of MovNattm to get watered down. He also doesn't give away information for free...

All that would imply that the first book will be mostly directed at people who want to get out of the Zoo, but aren't really sure how to do it. He will provide some practical tips. He doesn't want people to get hurt. BUT... he wants to channel people to his coaching network, seminars, and certifications. So I'm guessing he will give some basics, some practical tips, diet and recipe info, but mostly encouragement and inspiration.

He's getting press and publicity now. I'm sure he wants to take advantage of the buzz. Writing a book is time consuming, especially for someone concerned about getting things right. I'm looking forward to the book, but not holding my breath.

I hope you can train with him soon. It sounds like people really enjoy it.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »
My advice is to stop worrying about when MovNat this or that will come out, there are many other quality sources of information out there on how to develop a training program. If your goal is full broad capacity across natural movements you have explore a bit more but Erwan is not the only source of information nor in my opinion the best on many of these subjects. By holding your breath waiting for his books, his website to release information etc you are falling into the trap of his marketing. The system maybe patented and he may keep it secret but just because he doesn't broadcast it doesn't mean it contains any super crazy amazing secrets.

We all get so attached to names you want to be MovNat practioner to do that you have to read the book and go to the seminar and pay lots of money. But what is that name really worth. I am not saying don't listen to what he has to say or that his seminars or books aren't worth the money just don't get trapped into the idea of being disciple of his way. Its like martial arts people get obsessed with one coach one system but systems are never reality there just one way to see things Gracie Jujitsu maybe great but you can still learn from sambo, Muay thai maybe amazing but shotokan and Kyukushin are worth some time too.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2009, 01:03:20 AM »
I steal from anyone I can, including your blog, Rafe :D I really enjoyed your stories of running around WA. Thanks.

I'm not waiting for Erwan. I don't agree with some of his philosophy. He -IS- quite a few steps ahead of me on this stuff, tho.

Silly comparison, maybe - Zumba with "Beto". It's a patented system, and there aren't any crazy amazing secrets - it's basic Latin dance steps with a little belly dancing thrown in. Still, it's fun to watch [and try when nobody's looking] ;D "Beto and the girls are good enough dancers that they make it look fun and easy. Erwan makes natural movement look... well... hard and exhausting ;D

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »
Since I'm already looking for ways to improve my jumps, climbing, running... might as well try to steal from the "experts" in those fields. No sense reinventing the wheel...