Author Topic: Making an MN-inspired workout  (Read 6631 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Making an MN-inspired workout
« on: July 09, 2009, 06:18:21 PM »
Model training session [From Pilou's translation]

Any physical education method should include two components: a learning part aimed at educating the body, improving endurance, strength and flexibility, teaching the basic techniques for elementary and practical exercises like walking, running, jumping, lifting, climbing, throwing, swimming and defending; and an application part aimed at developing to the highest degree the practical abilities, putting them to use, and providing the means to cope with many real life situations.To well educate the body, these exercises must be incorporated into training sessions planned to logically and gradually combine the different types of exercises. An ideal session should include the following exercises, in successive groups:

Group 1.
1. Walks of all sorts
2. Posture-correcting movements
3. Movements to increase flexibility in the legs, arms and core

Group 2.
1. Elementary exercises of the legs and arms, simple or combined, freehand or with equipment
2. Lifting exercises
3. Throwing exercises
4. Defense exercises: boxing and wrestling

Group 3.
1. Suspensions
2. Planks
3. Climbs of all sorts
4. Balancing exercises

Group 4.
1. Hopping exercises
2. Speed races
3. Endurance races on small distances

Group 5.Core exercises

Group 6.
1. Jumping and vaulting
2. Races, as in group 4
3. Swimming
4. Games

Group 7.
1. Breathing exercises
2. Walks

To build a session from these groups, one can select a few exercises from each group, ideally all of them if time permits. If time is limited, a short session should always exercise all parts of the body in turn rather than focus on a single group of muscles. There should be little or no rest between exercises if the successive exercises are properly planned to target different parts of the body, so one can rest one part while working another. The number of repetitions, the cadence of movement, the choice of easier or harder exercises should match closely the level of fitness of the students, so as to provide increasing intensity but not to over exert the body. Exercise should be daily, a complete session should fit within an hour. Exercises should follow a progression: any difficulty in performing an applied exercise means that the more basic exercises of the same type need to be performed more thoroughly first.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: Making an MN-inspired workout
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 06:19:39 PM »
this is some good info gregg
i like how you pretty much put everything someone can think of into one workout
ive personally always been conflicted about what kind of training I want to do, because I'm interested in all different forms of exercise and movement, so this pretty much combines it ALL. haha

im gonna have to try this out sometime soon
it would be the most fun to do with a group

I tried to do a workout that way, yesterday. I picked one exercise from each of the 7 groups.
While I did all the things I had on my list, I quickly broke off into a more organic workout. I kept flipping back and forth, changed things around...

For example, I decided #1 = walking with posture exercises, #2 = dumbbell presses 20# each hand [heaviest I had]... #3 balancing, #4 hopping, #5 L-sits, #6 swimming, #7 walking cool down.

I was waiting for friends to show up, so didn't want to wear myself out.

I did the walk, the presses, then balanced on curb/ low wall/ as I jog walked. I kicked a sprinkler head. Barefoot is so not fun.  Cry
   Lift/ overhead press 70#, box jumps - forward and sideways. Balance walk. A small gap. 70# presses. Leg lifts and L-sits while hanging from a tree. Balancing on 1 foot with other leg extended, and arms in various positions. 500m speed walk. Jog/walk balancing on wall. Lifting. Walk. Cat crawl on wall, right above a homeless guy and all his worldly possessions. Oops.
   Sprint. Hanging from trees. Swimming - underwater, speed, back, side. Practiced hook kicks and spinning hook kicks. More swimming. Some pulls. Walking.

There are things you can't do well alone. Combat. Playing catch. Race. Chase. I think the more people you have, the less flexible you can be. Flex is still good with 2, and I haven't tried with more.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 06:21:04 PM »
Wow, this stuff really is excellent! I've been wanting to make something like this for a while...but didn't think there were other people interested in it or that it had been done before.

I'm totally going to start making up lists of "natural movements" to start forming workout sessions from. I'm probably going to be the only person at college next semester who does this stuff... oh well.

Oh, and I posted a thread over on newenglandpk.com ... so your brethren from the frozen tundra of Massachusetts will soon be in on this!

I think a lot of people are interested, and I think you'll see more of this in the future.
I love parkour, but Maui is still mostly natural, with some agriculture, and a little built up area. It's definitely not NYC, or Paris.

Theoretically, you could do MN workout completely in the gym - just keep moving, and concentrate on large body movements [like running, jumping, the olympic lifts]. I prefer to be outside.

I'm going to check out NEPK. I haven't been there for a while.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 06:22:51 PM »
neparkour.ning.com now...  Grin [Quoting Stevem156]

This type of thing seems like it would go along very well with the philosophies of parkour, and that the two would cross-complement each other very well.

After living a relatively sedentary lifestyle for many, many years, and then getting into conventional gym exercises, I started to question how exercising in the gym would prepare me for real-world challenges...and the truth is, it really doesn't. While gym training builds muscle and teaches some basic movements and body awareness, it's not natural. There isn't really any time in your life where you'll be doing pec flys over and over again, except in the gym. I'm very interested in training my body to move how it was meant to, and this is another way to do it.

If anyone's interested, would you like to study up on Natural Movement a little bit, reverse-engineer some of its exercises and whatnot, and start to implement them at group workout sessions or jams?

Pilou did a translation of part of Hebert's "Practical Guide" Get pdf at APK. Parkour was derived from this [or they both came from Don Francisco Amoros in early 19th century, according to Erwan].

Anyway - as you try things out, keep us posted on what works/ doesn't for you.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 06:23:57 PM »
Steve's post over at NEPK

I went out into my backyard today and found a big rock, one that was difficult to pick up. I then proceeded to throw the thing around using various throwing techniques (across my body with one hand, up, down, straight out). That was actually very difficult. The hardest, though, was lobbing the rock up into the air and then attempting to catch it on the way down.

I then crawled across my lawn, crawling high and then medium and low, alternating between various heights and sometimes breaking it up with sudden jump-squats or push ups. This was actually very grueling, especially on the way back across the lawn. I then commando-crawled across my yard for the hell of it.

Next, I devised an exercise involving the following: Jump squats to side plank to side plank push ups to regular push ups to sit up (grabbing a heavy rock and--when I sat up explosively--tossing the rock as hard as I could). I attempted to do this exercise as fast as possible. It whipped my butt, but was awesome.

And last of all, I grabbed the heaviest rock of the two and did two laps around the yard while cradling it low in my arms. This was a surprisingly difficult coordination and lower back workout.

All in all, it took about 40 minutes.

My body feels like I worked out for 3 hours at the gym. I like this stuff, now.

That's different than my approach. It's interesting, and sounds intense. I don't think either of our approaches are MN in the strictest sense. I think it doesn't matter. Tho some people are going to argue.  Tongue

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »
Well, I see hawaiipk and neparkour are sizing each other up, now, in terms of MN workouts!

Yeah, I'm kind of functioning as a missionary over at neparkour.com, trying to get some converts and establishing MN conditioning at jams.

Anyways Gregg, I agree that our approaches probably aren't MN in the strictest sense. Then again, MN isn't easy to define...even Erwan (sp?) agrees and had to define MN by Hebert's standards in order to make it easily understandable. I think that, as long as you're doing any exercise using practical movements that humans would use in a day-to-day survival capacity in the wild, you're going to be very close to the mark.

I really want to lash a series of long poles between trees in my back yard so I can have a climbing area, and I also want to tie a rope to a tree branch to practice rope climbing... and all this along with making some obstacles for PKing in my back yard (just for those days when I can't really get away from the house!).

Also, I want to get two packs: One a standard-sized backpack that I can load with weight and lift by its straps, and a big duffel bag that I can fill with sand to simulate a body or just a big, awkward object for lifting. Jeez, you know you've been on a tight budget for a long time when the idea of obtaining a sand-filled duffel bag gets you all excited  :D .

I wouldn't say "sizing each other up". Look at it more as trying to inspire and encourage each other.  Grin

I find MN easier to define than parkour. Just list the eight, (ten, eleven or twelve) utility exercises. What's the purpose? To be strong to be useful, first to yourself, then to others.

Even Erwan agrees that MN is hard to define? Where? Show me. I don't see that.

What I see is a guy who was passionate about Hebert, Hebertism, and Methode Naturelle. He invested hundreds of hours in learning about it, training it, and starting to build a website about it. Then he hit an obstacle that would not budge. So he had to revise MN into MovNat, updating and expanding it.

I like your backyard ideas. You could also use a ladder or strong net, or ropes from tree to tree for the climbing. The poles can also be used for balance, QM on or under.

If you suspend the sandbag from a tree, you can use it as a combat target. If it's strong enough, you could throw it. You could carry it while doing some of the other exercises. Maybe use it for static or small move balancing. I probably wouldn't swim with it tho... then you'd have a mudbag.  Grin

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »
I've been trying to find the article that I saw Erwan say that in...so far, unsuccessful.

I know that he said he had to use Hebert's definition of natural movement in order to avoid confusion when discussing exactly how to define movnat.

Erwan posted about the differences between MN and MovNat. "It would be a very simplistic shortcut to imagine that the sole change is found in the name. Despite being inspired by Methode Naturelle, MovNat is both a philosophy and a method of its own, that remodels and renovates the former approach."

http://movnat.com/archives/477

According to his twits, his seminars this summer are full up. Good for him. It would have been fun.

On a totally different note, my sister and her family watched my "UnNatural Method" video. A couple days ago they had to move a bunch of logs. My sister couldn't lift one, but remembered the video, and found that she could flip it. The kids rolled some other ones.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 06:29:24 PM »
The only thing I dont like about Erwan is that it seems he is all in for the money.

BTW he commented on the HIpk Wacky Movnat vid.

Full exploratory mode, beautiful human energy and absolutely gorgeous natural site which is really nice to watch.
Since you've labeled your video "MovNat" allow me a few constructive comments:

_that many unpractical moves makes that "MovNat" style really "wacky" indeed.

_A fully exploratory mode is cool but terribly lacks pattern and variety to be? anything else than...exploration. It is a basic stage which I do encourage but be aware it is not at all the most efficient training type.
_ Last, you want to carefully respect nature when you train.
Displacing so many rocks without replacing them back and throwing them away in? the sea while unknowingly crushing marine life habitat is not what MovNat nature-oriented ethics is about.
Connect to the nature in you, connect to nature itself, now above all respect it and don't harm it guys ;-).

Cheers,

Erwan Le Corre

Erwan is just trying to protect MovNattm. From what I've read, he was just going to call it an updated version of MN, but seems there were problems with the people who (think they) own MN. Those were actually pretty nice comments.

I don't think he's ONLY in it for the money. Sure, money's nice. I'm sure he'd like to have some. It's nice to get paid for something you love.

On the other hand... His site feels like one big ad for MovNattm coaching. Other than a little philosophical/ new age rambling, he's maybe given out 1/4 the info he used to give out for free in the forums.

Flips aren't parkour. Flips aren't MN. Therefore flips aren't MovNat, even tho they look fun, and I wish I could do them. Grin

Exploration is fun, but inefficient. Fine. I'll post the little sidebar workout from Men's Health. Or you could combine some principles of CrossFit training with MN to develop your workout. It's going to depend what you have at hand.

Respect nature. This can be taken too far. Sure, we don't want to kill coral that's taken years to grow. At the same time, it's pointless to obsess about every plant you might step on or break.

Oh well...

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 06:30:03 PM »
This is that workout from Men's Health

Sample workout [repeat cycle 2-5 times]

Evade
QM monkey 20 yards, sprint 50 yards, jog back, QM crab 20 yards, sprint 50 yards
Except on his site, Erwan says there is no "monkey" or "crab"

Escape
Long jump, run a few strides [repeat 10x]
Jog to 12" obstacle [step, bench, log]
Jump over it back & forth 10x

Attack
Run to pull-up bar. Pull-up to failure.
20 reps each: punch, knee kicks, elbows
Sprint 50 yards, jog 50 yards [x4]

Balance
Squat til fingers touch ground. Walk 10' line without bouncing. Stand --> squat 5x. Precision a couple feet away. [repeat section 5x]

Rescue
Jog to 50# weight. Lift to waist. Carry 15'. Hoist to chest. Push-throw it. Sprint to it. Repeat.

I bet his own workouts are nothing like this.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 06:31:23 PM »
Yeah...I bet he strings large sequences of movements together and does them several times before moving to another area for another training sequence.

Like:

Run (10 minutes), balance on log to quadrupedal movement on log, muscle up on to the top of a horizontal pole, jump off pole, pull ups on pole, run to water and swim for 5 minutes, run to find a large rock and throw it, combative drill (5 minutes), run to nearest hut and vault back and forth through its windows once, REPEAT.

I think it's in the Men's Health magazine:

"By combining short, explosive bursts of running with lots of power work -- jumps, climbs, and deadlifts -- you can compress 2 hours of normal gym time into 20 minutes of constant motion."

Also: "At sunrise, Le Corre vaults through my window. ... He vanishes back out the window, which is 3 feet from a half-open and perfectly functioning door." and
"He spots a bowling-ball-size rock on the sand. With a quick crouch, he scoops it up and snaps it with a sharp, two-handed throw straight at the man's chest."

So he's continually doing little things - runs, vaults, throws, catches...

Then there's his coaching method:

"The pole, as thick as his arm, parallels the ground at roughly eye level. A man is standing on it, balancing like a tightrope walker, hopping from one bare foot to the other to amuse himself while Zuqueto sweats his options. He's been chasing this man for 20 minutes, sprinting around trees, leaping off boulders, and once even vaulting through the front window of a hut and back out through the rear without breaking stride."
   "Launching himself into the air, he swings up onto the pole that stymied Zuqueto, and then twists his knees and swiftly rises like a surfer catching a wave. Then he proceeds to jump down, light as a cat, and mount the pole two...three...six more times, in each instance using his elbows, ankles, shoulders, and neck to create new climbing combinations."

So there's the whole "catch me if you can" thing, plus he's training [balance] while Zuqueto is trying to figure things out. Then there's the "show" as he climbs up 7 different ways.

Then there's the group training on the beach: Rock pass, fireman carry in and out of knee high surf, running down the beach while tossing 6' driftwood poles, rock climbing, 10' jump, sprint...

3 days of double session training...

Final obstacle course [finish twice in 20 minutes]:
   "The course has 12 stations, all of them sequenced into a natural flow through the forest. We're springing up into trees, contorting through the branches, and shinnying down 15-foot poles. He has us hoisting heavy logs on end and flipping them, top over bottom, up a hill. He has us crawling around stakes in the ground and snaking on our bellies beneath an overturned dugout canoe mounted a few inches off the ground. Even a small cabin comes into play: He has us vaulting through one window and out the other." ... "a leap from the porch and then a quick climb up a 20-foot pole braced between the ground and a branch high in a tree."

So that's how he's currently training... there may be more stuff he did while the writer wasn't looking.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 06:33:33 PM »
I think it just boils down to one two-word sentence: "Do it."

If you see a rock, pick it up. Throw it.
If you see a surface, jump on it.
See a pole/ bar? Climb on top of it.
Boulder? Jump over it.
Low/ fallen tree limb? Crawl under it.

Whatever it is, instinctively ask yourself what you can do with it and then do it.

It's NOT "Do it".

That's phase 1: the natural exploratory stage. It's a good place to start. You'll hit a plateau after a while. That's where the "pattern and variety" comes in...

Phase 2: [The Men's Health sample workout] The basic pattern is combining sprints with power work, in a mix you can keep going for at least 20 minutes non-stop. It should target your weakest point, so you have good progression there. It also has to be enough to keep you from sliding back in any of your other areas.
  Think of it like setting up a small mini-obstacle course: combine a sprint with a power move, then have a slight recovery. Repeat this several times, then move to the next "station".
  Repeat all the "stations" several times. Each station targets a different element.

Phase 3: a longer planned obstacle course that requires each of the 12 elements, chained together at speed, with a goal of completing it a certain number of times within 20 minutes.

--- --- ---

Things you could do with a rock:
Pick it up. Carry it while you walk, run, jump, swim or do QM. Throw it at a target, or for distance, or into the air, or to a friend. Catch it. Balance on it. Jump over it. Jump onto it. Use it as a hand weight as you throw punches. [Use it as a target if you're into pain]. Throw it into the water, swim down, and pick it up. Use it as a distance marker, or a target for another exercise. Balance it on your foot while you balance on your other foot. Balance it on your head while you walk. Wrestle your friend for control/ possession of the rock.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 09:29:26 PM »
"Tired" of your regular routine? Low tech, high effect training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEk5QqgYv_k

As you will see within the video above, even a tire can be turned into a useful piece of exercise equipment.  And to those who may be new around here, Dominic was born in 1941.  If that doesn’t inspire you to get up and train, I don’t know what will…

Ross [of rosstraining.com]
[via Mark Sisson's blog]

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »
That was awesome, thanks G.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

naturalninja

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 10:08:36 AM »
heres what i have planned at a (parkour) jam tommorow,

ok this will be harg to explain as you dont know the area,

jump to cat, cat sideways to failure

run seafront (about 3/4 of a km from where we start) with sprint intervals

climb finger grips (there are four of them) up and down X4

throw 2kg rock to each other, 15 throws per person (im always afraid of breaking my toes...)

quad boulders+back (about 50 meters)

jumps over concrete paths (about 6 feet) X10

lift + carry person from flower bed to rails (about 20m) carry twice per person

swim from seconed pile of boulders to third pile breast stroke with front crawl intervals (about half a km)

:)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:24:14 AM by naturalninja »

turtlekarma

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 11:51:57 AM »
if you need something heavy to throw around that won't smash your toes....try get a regular rubber dodgeball and fill it with water instead of air.  It's pretty cheap and as long as you don't be too abusive with it, your new toy should last you a while.  but tossing rocks at eachother is always a blast lol.

naturalninja

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 12:21:58 PM »
thats really geinius! thanks!:D (sorry is there a thanks button here or something similar?)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 05:11:15 PM »
The APPLAUD link off to the right works, but just saying thanks, like you did, is way better.

When I'm by myself, I usually use rocks, driftwood or coconuts. I've used plastic jugs full of sand or water. Eggs are always fun - it's a challenge to see how far you can throw them and not break them. Water balloons for the same idea, but not so messy.

How do you fill a regular dodge ball with sand? Do you have to cut a hole in it?

Sounds like you guys are going to have fun at your jam. Let us know how it turns out!

naturalninja

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 12:12:58 PM »
jump to cat, cat sideways to failure to be doubled

run seafront (about 3/4 of a km from where we start) with sprint intervals hard 'cause i did it fast, but good (this is back aswell so its actaully 1.5km)

climb finger grips (there are four of them) up and down X4 changed to X6

throw 2kg rock to each other, 15 throws per person (im always afraid of breaking my toes...) physicaly much too easy

quad boulders+back (about 50 meters) im gonna double this

jumps over concrete paths (about 6 feet) X10 good stuff

lift + carry person from flower bed to rails (about 20m) carry twice per person no-one wanted to be carried!

swim from seconed pile of boulders to third pile breast stroke with front crawl intervals (about half a km) i was a bit afraid of sea monsters

overall:

a little easy but im working on it, although i dont want to do the same thing everydayD:

does anyone know is Erwan still gonna do those training tips? ive been hoping for them for ages!

EDIT:
I don't think he's ONLY in it for the money. Sure, money's nice. I'm sure he'd like to have some. It's nice to get paid for something you love.

i used to think similarly but really hes got to pay for food, a place to stay, hes gonna build a yoke in Boulder, i dunno maybe hes gonna publish his book himself, so id say thats really just whats hes gotta charge , he said himself if i can remember correctly he said hes not got much money at all
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 12:56:30 PM by naturalninja »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 10:02:11 PM »
So you found it a bit easy? What was the water temp like in Ireland in October... pretty chilly I would think? If people don't want to be carried, find some heavy stuff to lift and carry. Rocks, logs, refrigerators, sinks, garbage, there's tons of stuff around, I'm sure...

naturalninja

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 12:01:24 AM »
well in Ireland in general its cold so not exactly a heated swimming pool :P yea there are some big rocks on a nearby mountain so ill probably go there,

im gonna add a balance game we used to play at hockey where everyone stands on one leg and you push each other over, oh you could add defence in there too hmmm......