Author Topic: Barefoot training  (Read 14815 times)

Offline Sala

• Patas
  • Cell:230.4570 Hit me up! We go Train
    • View Profile
Re: Barefoot training
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 01:06:10 AM »
That diargram about the landings is surprisingly accurate to what i noticed about my own before i took up barefoot-edness.

Ill make sure to read those articles and post back here with my thoughts.
If we cant make love, we can always make peace. Cant we?

Offline baki20xx

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Balance in all things is key.
    • View Profile
    • My Parkour.com URL
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 11:56:09 AM »
I think training barefoot is THE way to train. It promotes a proper running posture on the balls of the feet and builds proper muscle structure in the foot and legs. I do as much training barefoot as I can and only use extremely low profile shoes when I have to. I think that it's better to have some type of protection and be able to sustain training rather than destroying your feet in one session and being out for long periods of recovery time.

When I do wear shoes, I've found Inov-8 to have the best shoes on the market for low profile running. They specialize in trail running shoes that have super low profile insoles but still provide moderate protection from the elements and are super grippy. Their 3mm insoles are like a piece of paper under your foot. I feel just about everything I run on in my shoes without being hurt by it. Even their 6mm thicker shoes still promote a proper toe running posture.

I have two pairs (I order them from Zappos.com). The F-LITE 230 PK's (3mm insole) for running, Pakour, olympic lifting and CrossFit type workouts. They are extremely low profile and I feel everything. They also have sticky rubber and great grip. For more hazardous conditions, I use their slightly heavier version with Goretex. The F-LITE 305 PK GTX's (6mm insole). I use them for trail running and other harsh environment training. I posted pictures of both of my pairs.

230's

305's

No matter what type of shoes you wear to run, you should adopt a running style where you land on the balls of your feet (the padded area right behind your toes). This is the proper piston action for your foot and leg. By jamming on your heels every stride, you put extra stress on the shins, calves, knees, thighs and hips, which will also affect your lower back. When you run on the balls of your feet, you develop your facia muscle and you're using the entire foot and leg systems to run, spreading impacts over a more broad range of muscles and joints.

Hope this helps some of you.

Train hard and often.
-Blake

"In Omnia Paratus"

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »
Steve from Inov-8 used to come to the HIpk forums almost daily. You talked more about their shoes in one post than he did in several months ;D

Thanks, for the info, tho!

I have a knack for destroying my feet in new and creative ways. I love the feel of bare on grass, sand, smooth surfaces, slow rock climbing... until they get sliced, bruised, or mangled.

One problem is I have to wear shoes most of the time, and my feet are ok for "easy" surfaces but I haven't been able to condition them for anything more than gentle walking on coarse gravel and rock, etc.

Any ideas how to make the most of my VERY limited time?

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
  • Not related to Frosti in any way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 01:48:59 PM »
Any ideas how to make the most of my VERY limited time?

Hmm, hammer dozens of tack nails up through the soles of some old shoes so only the tips poke through the inside?

Just like laying on a bed of nails!

(I don't really suggeest you do this)

You could just scoop up some beach and put it in a shallow bucket, then step up and down in it. You can do that while sitting, or doing the dishes...
That seems to be working for me some. It's slow, but doing it fast leads to blisters and callouses.
"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again..."

APK Roof Police Member

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 02:03:11 PM »
I don't have a problem with sand. Tho that reminds me of the old martial arts conditioning - strike sand, then coarse sand, small gravel, medium gravel, large gravel. Maybe I'm trying to speed the progression too fast?

We have some of those vinyl mats with the pokey things on the bottom. I can jump up and down on those ok. It's gravel and dirt with scattered rock that's giving me the most trouble right now.

Offline baki20xx

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Balance in all things is key.
    • View Profile
    • My Parkour.com URL
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 01:35:39 AM »
Steve from Inov-8 used to come to the HIpk forums almost daily. You talked more about their shoes in one post than he did in several months ;D

LOL. I can definitely rant sometime. haha
-Blake

"In Omnia Paratus"

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »
http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1342&CFID=42815873&CFTOKEN=46705893

Soft Star RunAmoc's 2mm street soles or 5mm trail soles. Prob I see for the street soles is there's no water channel. That sucks on rainy days on pavement. Each step is basically hydroplaning. The design looks simple enough to maybe DIY. At >$80 I'm not willing to shell out money for these. Not yet.