Author Topic: Hebert's "PE or Complete Training By The Natural Method"  (Read 13199 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Hebert's "PE or Complete Training By The Natural Method"
« on: July 09, 2009, 04:09:58 PM »
MN, Methode Naturelle, Natural Method, MovNat, etc. => Going Natural => Topic started by: Gregg on April 22, 2009, 12:56:59 PM

Title: Hebert's "PE or complete training by the natural method"
Post by: Gregg on April 22, 2009, 12:56:59 PM

GOOGLE TRANSLATION (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbooks.google.com%2Fbooks%3Fid%3DPwb1Lj9HETAC%26pg%3DPR6%26output%3Dtext%0D%0A%0D%0A%0D%0A%0D%0A&sl=fr&tl=en&history_state0=fr|en|rendre%2520tel.%250A%250A%250A%250A%250A&swap=1)

I went to Harvard Library to see if they had a better version of "Practical Guide to PE". Nope. It's the same bad Google scan. But...they have SEVEN Hebert books. Only one other is online: "Physical Education or Complete Training by the Natural Method"!!! in French (http://books.google.com/books?vid=HARVARD32044051103216&printsec=titlepage#PPR6,M1)

It's WAAAAYYY shorter than the other book. It seems to have all its pages [at least to page 100]. It has the COMPLETE rating form for the 12 exercises.

It doesn't show you 15 ways to climb a rope. Look at the pictures in Practical Guide for that. So I'm going to spend some time here for a while.

See you in a couple hours...

Title: Re: Hebert's "PE or complete training by the natural method"
Post by: Gregg on April 22, 2009, 01:51:49 PM

Oog.

He's very "chatty" in this one. It reads more like a blog than a training manual. A really LONG blog.
Google Scan and Translate did a fairly good job... I'm not going to bother to do a better translation.
FYI: "Mousses" are Ship's Apprentices. Google translates it as "moss" almost every time.
After I finish my first read-through, I'll do a quick summary, for my own use, [and to help HIpk, of course]

Post by: Ozzi on April 22, 2009, 02:21:00 PM

15 ways to climb up a rope...? Dang, can you paste that here please?

Post by: Gregg on April 22, 2009, 02:29:08 PM

That's in the OTHER book, in the chapter on Climbing that I was translating. I'll get to it.

"PE by MN" is weird. That's the best I can do today in the time I have.
Tune in tomorrow for something more useful.

Post by: Shiloh on April 22, 2009, 04:27:02 PM

I couldnt save and post these pictures.
Pretty nutz

Check out the obstacle course on    pg. 64
QM                                                            pg. 70

Post by: Gregg on April 23, 2009, 12:03:19 PM

p 64 isn't obstacle course - it's the ropes training/ climbing area for four groups. It would make a pretty nasty obstacle course, though.

p 70 in this version of MN, quad movement is considered one of the "elementary exercises" to build climbing strength. I think balance is also considered part of climbing. [It is in the other book].

I'm going to leave out a fair amount of stuff... my goal for this book is to give you a decent overview, so you understand what's going on. Enjoy...

Post by: Gregg on April 23, 2009, 01:50:20 PM

PHYSICAL EDUCATION, OR THE COMPLETE TRAINING BY THE NATURAL METHOD -- STATEMENT AND RESULTS
THIRD EDITION - PARIS - LIBRAIRIE VAUBERT
[Severely abridged]

CHAPTER ONE
THE NATURAL PROCESSES OF DEVELOPMENT
[updated Mar 2010]

If one considers any being living in a free state, we see that it reaches its full physical development by the simple practice of the exercises or movements to which it is intended by nature or which are essential for its protection and conservation. It is enough to walk on all fours, run, jump, make with its members or its body all the useful efforts to clean itself, for defense, or to reach its full development. A bird needs only to fly with its wings and walk, run or jump with his legs to reach the same result. It is seen as a first law of nature man is subjected to, just like the other beings.  The natural exercises of locomotion and those essentially useful for its protection and conservation should be enough for a man to develop himself in a complete fashion and attain the highest degree of physiological development.

Otherwise, if means other than those dictated by nature were required to become strong, if it was necessary for him to know scientific methods, human beings, especially the savage or the ignorant, would be condemned in advance to stay feeble.

To be convinced of the contrary, it is enough to note that at the present time, on the entire surface of the globe, the most remarkable human specimens of strength, beauty and health are found primarily among people of certain savage or barely civilized tribes (Negroes, Indians ...) who have only ever known or practiced the natural and useful exercises. Similarly, in all periods of history, wonderful subjects existed, such as the Greek and Roman soldiers and athletes whose physical value is always cited, will certainly never be surpassed, who did not know other development processes than the natural processes.

Finally, among the civilized races, the most complete athletes are undoubtedly those most trained in all types of natural and useful exercises.

In summary, the natural processes of development derive from a very simple concept:

Man, like any living being, must reach his full physical development by the sole use of his natural means of locomotion, work, and defense. This use is obtained by the reasoned practice of exercises which I call essential utilities and which make up the real educational exercises. These exercises form eight distinct groups, which are walking, running, jumping, climbing, lifting, throwing, natural defense (boxing and wrestling), and finally swimming.

Walking, running and jumping make up the most excellent natural exercises; they are the most essential of all. But it is enough to reflect for an instant to understand that these eight types of exercises are all useful to varying degrees in the course of all existence. Besides them, there are only exercises of secondary usefulness or which are restricted to certain categories of people such as fencing, riding, rowing ... ; or games, sports, acrobatics, fancy movements on all sorts of artificial devices: horizontal bar, parallel bars, rings, wooden horse ... having no practical utility. None among them is essential for all individuals, irrespective of profession or class.

CHAPTER II - CHARACTERISTICS OF THE NATURAL METHOD

The most remarkable specimens of the human race acquire or maintain their physical development through constant and daily activity. Any body or body part that remains inactive is inevitably doomed to weakness, disease, degeneration, and finally to atrophy. You are more likely to become strong if you work more and better. However, you also need food, sleep and rest. If too little work gives little results, overwork wears out the body instead of improving it. Don’t work to the limit of your strength. If you do, the fatigue will be too much for your daily repair forces, and several rest days will be needed.

The basic characteristics of the natural method:

1 Daily output in a specified period, sufficient work or effort, to develop strength and speed, the first elements of force to have.

2 Regular and continuous practice of all kinds of essential utility exercises, without exception: walking, running, jumping, climbing, lifting, throwing, defense, swimming, giving each of them the degree of importance it deserves.

3 Development of manly qualities: energy, courage, determination, poise, courage, etc.., By utilities, or other exercises requiring the issue of these various qualities. At the same time raising morals, ie development of the idea of charity, duty and dedication in the implementation of these qualities, as well as in the use of physical skills.

4 Hardening the body to cold, heat, sun and weather by working outdoors, air and sun bathing, the great water baths of river or sea, the use of cold water for washing.

5 Connection to the rustic character by habits of frugality, sobriety, simplicity in the way of life in general, moderation in all pleasures, and also by observing the rules of hygiene and all that makes up physical morality.

To these main principles add: increasing aptitude and physical knowledge by practicing, as often as possible, exercises other than the utility exercises, games, sports… and by learning manual labor.

In my opinion, the diet, ie the nature of food absorbed, the amount of the daily ration, how to chew and eat, food preparation, meals composition and regulating their number, their moments, etc., plays a role as important as the exercise and movement, in research or conservation of physiological development  It is not enough to have skills in all kinds of exercises, it is necessary to use them at any instant, and for that have a body in perfect condition. However, I note that the more the races are civilized, the more weakness for good food and gluttony are widespread and even dominant defects.

I have not addressed nutrition, because it gets too little attention, and I risk not being heard if I talk about return to the natural method for food as for the cultivation of skills. Many civilized diseases have no other cause than diet too artificial and excessive consumption of food or drink absolutely unnecessary to the maintenance of life. Humans are the only souls of creation, which accommodate food and distorted/ spoiled things, that cooks, often pathetic cooking, eats more than his hunger and is saturated with food as much as drink.

In all latitudes and in all countries where the natives perform feats of strength and endurance especially the most remarkable longer journeys, more arduous heavier portages, etc., the daily food intake is still relatively small and consists, in general, a plate of coarse food such as rice, cassava, ... adding a few vegetables or some raw fruit, without any other drink than water.

Some Negro carriers of Central Africa and in particular Wagandas, the Ban and all Karivondos, which are rivals on the surface of the globe, sometimes eat nothing but bananas for their daily diet. These men carry an average of 30 to 40 Kg goods on the head and shoulders, 25 to 50 km a day, depending on the nature of the terrain, for thousands of kilometers. They only need a little rest. In the evening, when they arrive at each new stage, after eating, they usually dance and sing until late in the night, much to the chagrin of the whites who accompany them. They possess an energy and extraordinary courage and endurance to pain which seems superhuman. Finally, they are affectionate, loyal, kind, happy and always in a good mood, it is rare to see among them one grumpy or cranky.

All those who have traveled have witnessed feats of strength and endurance made by subjects of white, black, yellow or red races who need a very small quantity of feed, such as nature provides us. These facts are irrefutable proof of the excellence of the natural and the uselessness of our complicated or artificial diet. If we consider only the amount of food, one can even say, all things considered, that the less you eat, the stronger you become.

Another example:
   In Morocco, from  May 1 to November 1911, out of 25,000 men of the French occupation 4171 men had to be evacuated by ambulance due to disease. According to statistics compiled by the Casablanca staff, the percentage of evacuees, with the various elements of metropolitan troops, colonial and indigenous communities, was as follows:

Colonial troops (infantry and artillery): 48.1 %.
Metropolitan troops (Zouaves, African hunters, foreign legion, train crews, etc.): 23.1 %
Indigenous troops (skirmishers and Algerian spahis): 4.1 %,
Indigenous troops (Senegalese skirmishers): 0.4%

The colonial troops were composed almost solely of metropolitan French, and the metropolitan troops of French from the city, or from Algeria and the foreign subjects belonging to the foreign legion.

These figures speak for themselves. They show the absolutely overwhelming superiority of the resistance of indigenous peoples: Arabs, blacks from Senegal, Algeria or Tunisia, raised following the natural laws and remaining consistently frugal and sober. That is not an object of acclimatization, because the French from Algeria and Tunisia as well as veterans of the colonial troops are at this point in the same conditions as the natives. On the other hand, such an objection does not apply to the Senegalese, the most disadvantaged of all in the circumstances because of their sudden transition from tropical climates to the temperate zone.

These examples prove the value of these two qualities: frugality and sobriety these elements produce and conserve strength.

Post by: Shiloh on April 23, 2009, 08:47:57 PM

Thanks Gregg.

Its like Herberts natural method philosophy in a nutshell.

I really embraced the nutrition part, since this is the first I see him talking about it, and since I struggle with it myself.
I'll  take this new info to heart. Mahalo

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:37:48 PM by Gregg »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: Hebert's "PE or Complete Training By The Natural Method"
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »
Post by: Gregg on April 25, 2009, 10:32:57 AM
CHAPTER III
EDUCATION OR TRAINING THE CIVILIZED SUBJECT [updated Mar 2010]

One may ask why the civilized being can not grow as easily and as naturally as the uncivilized. There are several reasons:
Insufficient activity or unsuitable for development;
An incomplete or insufficient practice of essential utility exercises;
A life style contrary to the laws of nature, exaggerated comforts, etc. ;
Hereditary defects, a feeble constitution, a malformation, deformations from practicing trades, etc.

In civilized life the human being generally does not have the possibility to lead a life according to the laws of nature and give free rein to his natural need for activity. From a young age he is subject to obligations and social conventions that force him most times to retrain his desire for spontaneous activity or force him to perform work which has absolutely nothing in common with the exercises which he is intended by nature or which are essentially useful for his protection and conservation. As a result, it is impossible to freely and naturally reach his full development as a being in a free state. But the environment in which he acts and operates does not change his nature. Just like the uncivilized being, he is made primarily for walking, running, jumping, climbing, lifting, throwing, defense and swimming, and he may need these exercises at any time to get through a crisis. This is especially true of the child who has not undermined the instinct, the little village boy in particular who may freely indulge his antics, practice by himself, without being taught, all kinds of essential utility exercises. To convince you, watch him walk, run, jump and frolic, climb and scale, lift objects or carry them, do all sorts of throwing, fight politely or exchange blows with his comrades, and finally bathe or swim when he gets the chance. Unfortunately this beautiful activity, if not checked early or hindered by the errors of parents or teachers, is in any case reduced or changes direction the day the child sits on the school bench or reaches working age.

From this later age, about thirteen or fourteen, the youth may be subjected to arduous and tiring work, but with little or no connection with the essential utility exercises. This explains why the peasant and the worker, who both lead active lives, do not reach their full development (eg the peasant never runs). But both are close to this development especially as their business has more to do with the essential utility exercises.

The civilized being is almost certainly condemned to stay weak or have a lower physical value if he is not daily subjected or forced to practice the various kinds of essential utility exercises outside of his occupation or work of his profession.
Compared to the uncivilized being, he is under very disadvantageous conditions. Because, despite everything, he can only devote a very limited time to the education of his body, if we assume that his profession requires him to remain stalled or shut up, to produce, in the time allowed, a dose of activity nearly equal to that which would be a full day of outdoor life in a free state. Hence the need to reason with his work and carefully compose his exercise sessions.

On the other hand, he often inherited a weak constitution, weak points or defects of varying severity; or else he is forced to exercise a profession or engage in occupations that contribute to weaken or eventually deform him.
To fight his debility or strengthen his weak points, he must according to the case, either graduate the difficulty, length, speed or violence of the exercises or break some of them down, and run each part or element separately. For example, a subject with a weak heart should produce only moderate efforts and increase his habitual dose of work with caution; another, unable to perform a "recovery" on a bar or platform must start to separately do each of the basic movements which make up the “recovery”, that is to say simple suspensions, complete pulls and arm supports, before attempting the full exercise.
To combat a hereditary defect, deformity, or to correct any abnormal condition, the civilized person may appeal to physiology and add to the ordinary exercises of walking, running, jumping, climbing ..., the conventional exercises of the limbs and trunk having determined effects on different parts of the body, eg: strengthening the abdominal walls, enlarging the chest... or to correct the most common deformities or defects: sunken chest, shoulders forward, hunched back...

Types of rural children, 8 to 12 years, which grow freely in the open air by practicing the exercises which make up the natural method. This group of children competed in race walking and the results are shown Chapter IX.

Types of young people 15 to 17 years, developed by the natural method at the School of Mousses.
In the foreground lie three of their instructors.

CHAPTER IV
BASIC LEARNING EXERCISES.
[Mar 2010]

The conventional exercises of the members and the trunk, as well as those drawn from breaking down the essential utility exercises, form the series called basic learning exercises. I call them this because they are not only composed of the elements of the essential utility exercises or simply realize the particular effects of the latter but accentuate, clarify, or amplify them.
   As we have seen, these special exercises are an aid or precious fix for the subjects whose body has weak points, defects, deformations, or any of abnormal condition.

They include:
1 – All the simple or combined movements of flexion, extension, rotation, and circular movements of the arms, legs and trunk, permitted by the normal play of the joints.
2 – The simple suspensions from the hands; the simple supports over the arms; the balances on one leg.
3 – The little jumps of all sorts: legs together, apart, crossed, bent…
4 – The movements of forced breathing
5 – The movements of forced correct posture

They can be classified in the different groups of essential utility exercises, which they belong to, by the similarity of their effects.

For example:
1 – The elementary exercises of the legs, especially the preparatory exercises for the action of the lower members, and the elementary exercises for the arms which help correct the posture of the opening of the chest and also permit good breathing, are part of the utility groups: walking and running.
2 – The suspensions and supports are clearly part of climbing: as well as the balancing on one leg. These prepare for climbs and traverses of narrow or dangerous passages, and develop the sense of balance.
3 – The little jumps have their place indicated in the group of jumps.
4 – The elementary exercises of the trunk prepare the abdomen and the small of the back for the many diverse efforts which are part of the groups of lifting, throwing and defense, but particularly the group of throwing.
5 – Finally, the respiratory movements, which consist of taking long, deep inhalations and are destined to combat breathlessness, to augment the respiratory capacity and increase flexibility of the ribs, are not part of any particular group. They are used as often as possible at any time, but particularly after every violent effort.

Post by: Gregg on April 25, 2009, 02:32:47 PM
CHAPTER V [Gregg Translate – missing from Google]
Opposition of the complete spirit to the Natural Method and other methods.

The indispensible utility exercises have to be considered more important than the educational exercises. They alone permit the complete preparation of the organism and to attain the final and practical goal of education or training, which is the formation of the subject’s development in a complete and useful manner. The educational exercises, in all their number and variety, can’t replace them. They follow very naturally the preceding considerations and result in the nature even in the later exercises which are uniquely composed of the elements borrowed from indispensible utility exercises or not that particularly their effects.

However I believe it is necessary to insist on the point which clearly characterizes the natural method and put in opposition to the complete spirit of all the methods actually in use, particularly with the Swedish Method and the recent Regulation of Physical Education of the Army of January 1910, established by the Normal Military School of Joinville, which is nothing more or less than a disguised copy of the Swedish Method.

It doesn’t act here, to a simple relative discussion of the value of the words, the expressions serving to design such or such or such group of exercises, or such or such part of the elements of the method, but well the absolute difference, fundamental, carried not only in the choice of groups of exercises employed, but over the work procedures themselves, also as well over the practical goal to attain.

--- --- ---
[back to Gregg’s abridged version w/ help of Google translate]

The Swedish Method has been condemned by practitioners, doctors and medical authorities. Because it has been officially adopted by the School, it appears to unfamiliar people as the “most perfect physical education.” The Swedes have almost a sacred obligation to work diligently at gymnastics in the school, army, and family. The French do little or nothing. That’s why the Swedish Method appears “better”.

If the French worked as hard at the Natural Method, we would be a nation of athletes.

The Regulation is used to train our troops and military youth, but also 90% of our primary school PE teachers. Since 1852, the School has no practical results. Even the latest version of the Regulation admits that it’s practially useless.

--- --- ---

The fundamental part or educational essentials of the Natural Method, walking, running, jumping, climbing… does not have a secondary or even insignificant part in other systems of education or training. They’re regarded as optional, not recommended, to do “with caution, when the body is sufficiently able to practice them without  inconvenience.”

No other method advises the complete set of utilities. They consist of basic learning exercises. If walking, running, or jumping is included, they’re not valued as important, and are given an insignificant part in the official lessons.

The Regulation says running is done in groups, at a slow pace, regulated, and always the same, never allowing for progressive individual effort, having no educational value for the weak, and completely worthless for the strong. Jumps are done in the conventional Swedish style, which destroys part of the excellence of their effects.

At first glance, the diverse methods appear to present enormous differences: one uses free hands, others use dumbbells, light weights or elastic bands. Some involve breathing without muscle development, or muscle development without breathing, etc. But they’re all elementary educational exercises. Authors discuss as far as the eye can see how to do them.

The spirit of the Natural Method is the opposite of other theories or systems of education or training. What is essential in the Natural Method is not even an accessory in the others. The latter proceed by analysis: to obtain the general development of the body, they successively look to partially develop the different organs and muscle groups. This is a fundamental error, and nothing is more contrary to the laws of nature. Physiologic improvement and even simple development of the muscular system must be the natural consequence of a coordinated work resulting from practicing the exercises for which man is specially built, and above all, those which interest the heart and lungs, not the result of conventional exercises with localized effects. *  Never has one seen an animal develop its muscles in a series of movements or use movements other than those that are absolutely necessary for locomotion, maintenance or defense; nor the idea of a breeder or trainer using artificial methods to develop some animal.

* [Footnote: G. Demeny, authoritative physiologist: “Analysis is a false way to train our movements; it upsets the harmony of the muscular contrations and replaces them with the acts of convention or schematics of the just relationships or have to have actions  or use partial efforts rather than the whole movement. This disharmony leads to a result of not only zero, but negative. It is only the natural movements, used from the beginning, as they should be used, which are the educational movements, unlike the schematic exercises.”
 “For example, one cannot call the breathing gymnastics the movements to life or the air which has passed from out lungs in a breath, without producing the mechanical work, as a totally different phenomenon from the case of the complete respiratory act.”
The educational exercise has to develop the nerve centers which preside at the coordination of our movements at the same times which develop the muscles. It is never indicated to separate the serving movement of developing the muscle to the best use of its work.  ]

The elementary educational exercises render service in the case of general or local weakness, deformation, defect, or any abnormal state. They are also useful for the rehabilitation of adults and men whose body has suffered the consequences of prolonged inactivity, like those bound by their role in education or training. It even has, at some point of view, regarded as the beginnings of medical gymnastics. The normally built and healthy being does not need it to acquire its development, but he can and should eventually not remain inactive, to keep in shape, not to lose the benefit of previous training, etc.., whenever the circumstances, such as fault of location, equipment, lack of time ..., oppose the practice of the essential utility exercises. Better to perform incomplete exercises but workable in all circumstances, and even produce a certain amount of work, than nothing at all, because you can not practice in the outdoors, there is a lack of space or you do not have what it takes.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:52:38 PM by Gregg »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »
Post by: Gregg on April 25, 2009, 05:35:13 PM

CHAPTER  VI [abridged]
Superiority of the Natural Method to the Other Methods

It’s easy to prove.

Take two subjects or two groups of subjects whose physical value is close to nothing. Find this value by using the measurable tests and note the performances in different types of utilitary exercises. Work the subjects equally and during the same time, one month for example.

One group will do only basic learning exercises from the process of any of the methods currently known. The other group will perform under the rules of the Natural Method * all kinds of essential utility exercises, or to simply prove what I advance, running, jumping and climbing, that represent the three most important of these exercises.

* These working rules are contained in the books “Practical Guide to Physical Education” and “Complete and Utilitarian Lesson-type Training”

At the end of the month, compare the two groups trained, to determine the physical value of each subject by measurable tests, as at the beginning of training. You see then the superiority of the subjects who used the indispensable utility exercises is enormously affirmed. The others have made, in terms of all the abilities, insignificant progress. If they have made it by chance, this is due to a practice such as low intensity running, jumping or any other of the methods we’ve been talking about to their series of basic exercises.

The natural method, applied and practiced following the working rules which a long practice has permitted to establish, has given results that are so superior that any discussion on the subject of superfluous. Prove it yourself.

All the secrets of this superiority comes in sum of respecting the laws of nature:
1 – Body subjected immediately to the practice of exercises for which it is destined by nature as much as needed.
2 – General development achieved by a work of coordination due to the practice of the indispensable utility exercises, and none by a work of local effects over each part of the body, which happens if we use only conventional exercises.
3 – Put at the first plan of development of the vital center of the body – heart and lungs – accord the very greatest importance possible to exercises which act on these organs, particularly running, which should remain the number one educational exercise;
4 – Work in the open air with baths of air and sunshine; body naked or free from anything which might hinder the free play of the joints and muscles and the regular functioning of the skin.

The false idea, which considers the elementary educational exercises as the sole fundamental part or essential of education or training, and sees the rest as accessory, or completely without importance to “the application” reserved uniquely to developed subjects, is actually very widespread. This has even penetrated the military.

Many people… refuse to see or understand the educational value of the essential utility exercises. Walking, running, jumping, climbing ... all this seems too simple and too natural to be the best means of cultivation of the body. And their opinion is explained because they do not properly use these simple exercises and develop educational programs or training in accordance with natural laws and, secondly, they are not sufficiently aware of the complex effects of these exercises, while they are much better informed on the effects of relatively simple basic exercises.
Some argue that the most of the essential utility exercises are too violent and that they can not agree to the physical education of youth.

To this it is sufficient to respond that the children outside the formal gymnastics lesson imposed on them, are fast to deliver with zeal and never ask the opinion of their masters: their games are in effect combinations, more or less varied, of the essential utility exercises. But hear us well, and don’t be agitated, in education through the natural method, to distort the value of the essential utility exercises by employing an irrational manner and without regard for their immediate and distant effects on the body of subjects to educate. The principle which dominates all others in education or training and allows the body to achieve without any danger the maximum power is the gradual progression of the amount of work or of efforts.

The essential utility exercises are only as violent or dangerous as we make them. This generally occurs when the goal to accomplish costs that cost one performance or the winning a test, a match, etc., without considering the effect on the body.

Running, with the most violent reputation of these exercises, can be run looking very moderate and over a very short course. It is a suitable exercise for the most feeble. It is dosable at will, in distance as well as duration. To the master it is apparent to regulate this dose according to age, the physical value, and the degree of training of their students.

Moreover, the indispensable utility exercises can be seen from two different points of view: Simple education, or the proper utility application, say in sports. In the educational point of view, we study the mechanism of the execution of the exercise, or perfect the manner of execution, or on the use for obtaining a determined effect on the body. From the application point of view, it seeks only to obtain a practical result, regardless of delivery mechanism or the effect on the body.

Given the variety of effects that can be drawn from the essential utility exercises, the results of education or training depend necessarily on their use, the mode adopted to employ them, in a word, the way to work. These results are even better when this way is based on a more precise knowledge of details of the mechanism of execution of exercises, as well as their general and specific effects. Physiology and science of the mechanism of movement is therefore a great help. But for the establishment of education and training programs, and especially for the conduct of exercises, theoretical knowledge is not sufficient; It should be an educator or trainer of other information which cannot be provided except through experience and practice.

[Caption: Sickly types of subjects showing on arrival at the Military Service (School of Marine Riflemen)  the most characteristic defects of the civilized: arched back, shoulders and neck forward, sunken chest, stomach beyond the chest, spine deviated laterally (scoliosis ), uneven shoulders or hips, legs badly conforming, general muscle atrophy, etc..

Types of subjects, particular students of the author, normally developed by the natural method, to compare with the above subjects.]

Post by: Gregg on April 30, 2009, 11:22:38 AM

CHAPTER VII
PRACTICAL WAY TO WORK. — MODEL PLAN OF A LOGICAL WORK MEETING

One should not imagine that it is sufficient to practice the necessary utility exercises without order or method to achieve full physical development. The final value of an education or training books at random is necessarily very uncertain.

Uncivilized men, for example, were entirely instinctive, but that obviously depends on environmental conditions in which they live and which may result not always be properly directed. This explains why, among wild populations, some individuals are sometimes stunted, while others are strong and physically perfect.

Practice, even hard, of the different types of essential utility exercises is not sufficient; one should know work, ie follow a working method in which rules can not be dictated, [except?] by experience.

The method, in effect, provides for accuracy in the work, rejects what is useless and ensures results. It assists the civilized subject and points out from the beginning the best procedures to follow; it avoids a large number of unsuccessful attempts and useless or dangerous personal experiences. Finally he can walk with confidence towards the goal we are proposing, which is complete development. His usefulness is even greater when the time spent to the growth of the body of the civilized is usually very limited and there are always among the latter defects or faults to fight.

A good way to work, a method of working, can only be the result of long experience, one part by working yourself, the other by educating and involving people of all ages of all classes, all professions and from all sources. It is always improved, through new experiences.

A complete session of reasoned work, according to the rules that I personally set, involves the successive execution of all the types of essential utility exercises, ie: Walking, running, jumping, climbing, lifting,  throwing, natural defense, and swimming (when possible).

Each type of essential utility exercise includes the actual walking or running, etc. and also various elementary educational exercises attached to that group of exercises by the analogy of their effects, according to the classification mentioned above (Chapter IV).

The program of a work session may consist of a choice more or less complete exercises undertaken in each group of following utilities:

1 - Walking: walk ordinary with movements of forced correct posture, walk with rhythmic breathing movements, walking on tiptoe and heels, crouched walking, Indian walking or crouched and bent, walk with various arm and leg movements, walks at various speeds distance and speed: in flexion and extension, etc.

2 - Running: run slow with forced correct posture, race with rhythmic breathing movements, running on tiptoes, running with great leaps, running sideways, backward, serpentine, making very small circles in all directions ... the various races of endurance and speed: in bending and extension, etc.

3 - Jumping: little jumps of all kinds: the legs together, legs apart, legs crossed, squatting position, bending the legs; High jump without and with momentum; long jump without and with momentum; jumps of various depths; jumping real obstacles; jumps with hand support, etc..

4 - Climbing: simple suspension by the arms, simple supports on the arms, various progressions supported on the hands and feet (walks and runs on all fours); various balances on land or on an elevated object; various recoveries on bar or platform; hoist or move with or without the assistance of the legs, using devices such as: smooth vertical or sloping ropes, ropes fixed along a wall, various ladders ...  Climb or traverse various obstacles or where the balance is difficult to keep; cross a dangerous passage where vertigo is a fear, etc..

5 – Lifting: basic flexion and extension movements of the arms in every direction possible with relatively light weight so the complete amplitude of movements is not hampered; classical movements to lift with both hands and one hand developed to throw and pull; loading and transporting sacks, objects of all kinds and people, etc..

6 - Throwing: basic flexion, extension, torsion and trunk rotation movements; juggling with different weights, two hands and one hand; throwing various heavy objects with both hands and one hand, without and with momentum; accurately throwing light objects alternating each arm, at a fixed target, etc.

7 - Natural defense: basic movements of muscular opposition alone or in pairs; various pulling and pushing efforts alone or in pairs; pulling and pushing struggles between pairs or group against group. Punching and kicking at nothing, at a bag, and working in pairs; assault boxing. Holds and parries of open hand wrestling and the regular free fight in pairs; fighting assault with flat hand and freestyle wrestling; ways to deal with a dangerous individual, and so on.

8 - Swimming: Swimming on the belly, back, side; treading water; floating; diving by the feet and head; dive and swim under water; swim in your clothes; bring aid a person, etc.

This latter type of exercises can obviously be performed only if you have a river or a pool near where you work. Otherwise, run a special session, as often as possible, following a specially prepared work plan*.

* [For details of the meeting about swimming, see the books: Practical Guide to Physical Education Lesson and Standard Swimming. ]

At the end or during each meeting, we must consistently perform flexion and extension runs on determined courses and with time given, without prejudice in the ordinary part set aside for these courses during the same meeting, as exercises of put in train or moving or of the allure of development. This aims to ensure that the course exercises get the prominent place they deserve and allows you to adjust the progressive effort in length or duration of their implementation.

It is best to perform in the same way the walks in flexion and extension, if the duration of the session allows.

The work session also includes an air bath, during exercises, and skin care after work. It lasts for three quarters of an hour to an hour on average.

If we have to direct the education of groups of subjects, we can introduce, in addition, simple games, songs and dances.

The various exercises of the model plan are executed one after each other, not necessarily in the order listed above, but in the best suited to ensure the continuity of work, which is one of the main characteristics of the natural method.

No important rest should occur during work; rest a few seconds should be sufficient. The ideal is to order the succession of the exercises in such a way that no rest is required. To do so, first, alternate the violent efforts and the moderate efforts, as well as exercises with different effects, and adjust appropriately, on the other hand, the duration, speed, violence or the repetition of each exercise or movement.

All sessions have the same plan, ie they include the same kinds of essential utility exercises. But their difficulty varies according to the same choice of exercises which comprise each group, and according to their speed, their duration, their violence or their repetition.

In summary, the following question: What should you do during a session? My answer: we must walk, run, jump, climb, lift, throw, defend, and whenever we can, swim; also, take an air bath of varying duration depending on the weather and healing the skin after work. Finally, we must ensure that the meeting is really a sustained and continuous work, the sum is high enough and progresses every day, however, never reaching the extreme limit of forces.

--- --- ---

When we want to educate or train, we establish in advance or as we go along, an exercise program for a number of weeks or months. This program includes a number of sessions per week, all copied from the model plan, but whose succession has a gradual increase in the amount of work and the difficulty of implementation of selected exercises.

In my opinion, the period of work or methodical and progressive training to make or improve education should not exceed eight months per year, four to six sessions per week. From childhood to the age of man, it is necessary each year start a new period of work or training. It acts in effect, not only not to lose what we gained and keep in condition, but also to increase its physical value to a measure corresponding to growth. The length of methodical work can be reduced to six and even four months for the most vigorous subjects.

During the part of the year not devoted to methodical work, it is enough to maintain through the intermittent practice of different types of essential utility exercises, or to engage in sports or occupations that involve these exercises, single or combination of them. For example: we practice walks and excursions in the countryside, all outdoor games (tennis, football ,...) which are just various combinations of walking, running and jumping; hunting, fishing, skating, cycling ..., the water games, etc..

During military service, methodical training should be particularly pushed for a period of eight months a year.

From twenty-five years, when growth is complete, it remains only to maintain the health and strength by engaging as often as possible in practice, simple or compound, essential utility exercises and spending each day a sufficient dose of activity. To keep all its resources to old age, we must repeat each year a period of systematic training for a period ranging from two to six weeks. If the physical condition is good, this retraining six weeks more must also be sufficient at any time of life, to regain its original condition.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:03:55 PM by Gregg »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »
Post by: Shiloh on April 30, 2009, 10:57:48 PM

It is alot to take in but very useful.  Mahalo again Gregg  ;)

This is another I will print and show my parents. They really liked Chapter 2 ;)

Post by: spambot on April 30, 2009, 11:33:31 PM

You're very welcome. The OTHER book actually has all the running, jumping, climbing, etc exercises. I'll keep working on everything...

Post by: Johnny (BoA's Traceur) on May 01, 2009, 04:58:17 AM

Boy, Gregg's gotten really good at holding his breath.

Post by: Gregg on May 01, 2009, 08:43:06 AM

;D I forgot about that. [trying to type my entire post in one breath.]

I'm sorry I can't give a shorter, smoother translation. I AM leaving out the more boring parts. Some times.

Post by: Gregg on May 01, 2009, 02:17:38 PM

Sorry - for some reason, the forum does NOT like the huge long tables showing the different performances and their relative values. I only entered the 0 values. If you aren't at this basic level, work to build up to it. If you're above it, work to get even better. It's all about progression. The full charts in French can be found here (http://books.google.com/books?vid=HARVARD32044051103216&printsec=titlepage#PRA1-PA33,M1)

CHAPTER VIII
FINAL PRACTICAL GOAL AND UTILITY OF THE PHYSICAL EDUCATION OR TRAINING.
STRENGTH AND APTITUDE MEASUREMENTS

No teacher has ever thought to specify, in a concrete way, the end that he proposes in physical education or training, ie the material results to achieve.

From what we know, this is not surprising, since most methods are interested only in the practice of basic learning exercises. But it follows from the lack of evidence that pupils and teachers do not know what they have to do to succeed. Yet, not only do we work without enthusiasm and enjoyment when we work without precise goals, we inevitably lose time by repeating certain exercises without profit.

The practical goal of education or training may be summarized as follows: to become strong.
But what is the meaning of the words: to be strong? What qualities should you possess? What are the exercises to be performed, performances to accomplish? etc..

As nothing has yet been fixed on this subject, I tried to develop this important question by defining in a precise manner the elements which make up physical force and in giving a practical way to measure it.*

* [The question of force is closely linked with that of education or training by the natural method. Also the reader please excuse me if I frequently refer to my book: The Code of the Force, which contains developments on the subject too long to be reproduced here.]

Physical force includes a number of diverse elements: strength, speed, muscular strength, general and special skill,  aptitude for various kinds of essential utility exercises, manly qualities, the general hardening of the body, frugality, etc..

Being strong means being developed in a complete and useful manner. For example, a remarkable specialist in one type of exercise, but not in the others, such as a weight lifter or a wrestler unable to run or climb. .. or as a runner or a boxer who can not swim or climb ..., is not strong in a complete way.

On the other hand, a subject that is content to shine in exercises or fancy sports (such as games of all kinds: football, tennis ... gymnastics with equipment: horizontal bar, parallel bars, etc..), but he ignores the art of swimming, to defend himself or is afraid of heights ... he is not strong in a useful way.

In short, the qualities that characterize the strong can be summarized as follows:
A strong being is tough, muscular, fast, skillful, energetic, hardened, frugal and sober. Moreover, he can walk, run, jump, climb, lift, throw, defend himself, and swim.

Since there are different degrees in the physical development and, secondly, the athletic development can not be achieved by all, I thought it necessary to establish exactly what should be the minimum physical background of the educated or trained subject.

Under this title: The basic development. Eligibility to be considered as "managed", I listed in The Code of the Strength, the performances and exercises which let one come through the affairs in every circumstance. I also specified, in designing the measurable tests with the performance lists, the minimum degree of general physical value to be possessed, according to age, to not be a physical nothing. At such an age (from eight years) a subject of normal constitution must be able to walk and run such a distance in such a time, jump this obstacle, lift this weight,.. etc.

To measure the value of the strength or general ability, I have prepared a series of twelve classical tests including running, jumping, climbing, lifting, etc. which the execution brings into play, together or separately, the various elements which make up the useful and comprehensive strength: resistance, speed, muscular strength, skill,  the qualities of energy, the aptitude in the essential utility exercises, etc..

In The Code of the Force, I gave the reasons for the choice of tests and the practical significance of each. This choice is combined in this fashion to give resistance and speed priority over pure muscular strength. In other words, of two subjects tested, the toughest and most agile must necessarily prevail. This is logical and corresponds well to the definition of being strong as I see it. The strength lies more in the heart and lungs than in the muscles.

The twelve tests of the series model are the following:
1. Race 100 meters.
2. Race 500 meters.
3.Race 1500 meters.
4. High jump without momentum.
5. High jump with momentum.
6. Long jump without momentum.
7. Long jump with momentum.
8. Climbing a smooth rope.
9. Lift with both hands in "developed".
10 Throw weight of 7.257 kg [16 pounds]
11. Swimming: course of 100 meters.
12. Swimming: diving under water.

The performances realized in these different tests are listed in points after a determined scale, called scale of ability.

The zero of the scale corresponds to the minimum performance every adult at least eighteen years that will have to be able to do to have what I call the lower limit of basic development and not be a physical nothing.
The ratings 1 and 2 characterize the average performance; the ratings 3 and 4, the performance of superior value; ratings 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, performances of athletic or exceptional value.

The ratings from 11 to 15 and above characterize the maximal performances reached by the elite subjects or the specialists, ie those approaching the limits of human power.

Finally, ratings below zero or negative characterize the performances of insufficient or non-existent value.

The tables of pages 33 to 36 contain performance tables of the twelve tests of the classic serial-type.
The value of the strength or ability is expressed numerically by the total number of points obtained in the twelve races in the series-type. This number of points is obviously a sum if certain performances are listed in negative points.

To conduct the physical examination of a subject and know what he is practically worth, as well as to see his progress, it is sufficient to undergo, in certain very precise conditions, the twelve races in the series and to establish what I call its "form-type".

Next to the the number of point obtained in the twelve events, the ability is called:
1 - None, where this number is less than zero.
2 - Inferior, where this number is at least equal to zero.
3 – Average, where this number is at least equal to 18.
4 - Superior, where this number is at least equal to 36.
5 – Exceptional or Athletic, where this number is at least equal to 60.

The series model is not only a kind of formula for evaluating the general physical fitness: It is an accurate and practical way of controlling the results. It embodies them and makes them palpable.

It can also, and this is one of its greatest advantages, differentiate the subjects by giving them an idea of their value, not by a simple appraisal "to the feeling," as that given in almost all competitions or reviews of gymnastics, but by taking tests with measurable performances, avoiding any discussion on the respective abilities of each.

Its application allows you to easily realize the indisputable superiority of the results of education or training by the natural method compared to those obtained by following the methods of other methods that use only basic learning exercises.
                           RACE                    RACE                    RACE
VALUE                    100 METERS    500 METERS    1500 METERS
OF PERFORMANCE   Perform    #    Perform    #    Perform    #
Insufficiant or
invalid performances   
Lower limit of
basic development   16 sec    0    1:40             0    6:00             0
Average performances.   
Superior performances.   
Exceptional or athletic performances
Performances close to the limits of human power
--- --- ---
Maximum achieved by elite subjects or specialists.   
Official Records. French and World Records

HI JUMP   HI JUMP   LONG JUMP
VALUE                                  No dash    w/ dash    No dash
OF PERFORMANCE                 Perform    #    Perform    #    Perform    #

Lower limit of basic development   0.80 m    0    1 m            0    2 m            0

LONG JUMP    CLIMB    LIFT
VALUE                                     w/ dash        Smooth rope    With 2 hands
OF PERFORMANCE                   Perform    #    Perform    #    Perform    #

Lower limit of basic development   3.50 m    0    5 m            0    40 kg x1    0

THROW           SWIM           SWIM
VALUE                                    7.257 kg
                                                [16#]            100 METERS    Dive under water
OF PERFORMANCE                   Perform    #    Perform    #    Perform    #

Lower limit of basic development   6 m            0    3:00            0    10 sec   0

The twelve series tests, by their very nature, indeed involve all the qualities that contribute to physical development; also they clearly add the practical and utilitarian goal of education or training.
The subject who is tested is given notice to demonstrate objectively the value of the qualities he possesses, and to prove his abilities in the different types of utility exercises. If he has never practiced the basic learning exercises, his skills are necessarily very low.

NOTE. - The figures in the tables on pages 33 to 36 correspond to figures of the performance tables in the 1st edition of the Code of force (1911). The results of experiments, described below, in chapter ix were calculated rating performances according to the tables of the first edition.

In the tables of the 2nd edition of the Code of force (1914) listing of performances was partially amended to allow a more precise measurement of physical fitness.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:08:40 PM by Gregg »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 04:16:16 PM »
Post by: Gregg on May 04, 2009, 11:12:24 AM

This chapter is pretty boring. To me, the interesting things were the rations and the comparison of MN v Army training. Sorry for the messed up tables. Also, you're going to see the word "mousse" a lot. That's the French word for a ship's apprentice. It was easier to type "mousse".

CHAPTER IX
RESULTS OF PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE
From what we have just seen, the measure of physical fitness can be obtained with sufficient precision using the twelve classic tests in the series.

The personal experience I have acquired through my special functions, allow me to say now, after having been duly noted by means of tests of this series, the general physical value of young people arriving in military service between eighteen and twenty-one years is the state of nullity or is extremely close.

In other words, if, conforming to the rules relating to the measurement of the aptitude detailed in The Code of Force, one establishes from the earliest days of arrival, the individual sheet of each of the subjects of a any unit: company, battalion, regiment ... or a group of at least one hundred subjects assembled at random and then, after the algebraic sum of all their points, we divide this sum by the number of subjects, I affirm that the overall average thus obtained is usually below the zero level skills or above this zero only two or three points at most. Still needs to be done, in the physical examination of subjects, setting aside the two swimming tests and being content with just the first ten races of the series.

There are, indeed, a considerable number of subjects who can not swim at all and can not therefore be rated negatively in these same tests.

From my personal observations, the number of subjects who can not tread water reaches 60 to 75% of recruits from the interior and 20 to 30% for the recruits from the coast or of the registered near the sea.

These relative conclusions on the value of physical fitness of young people arriving under the flags results from the review that I could make of the cards of thousands of recruits from all professions and from all sources. Five hundred of these young people belonged to an infantry regiment, much of the other (two thirds) were committed by the army of the sea, mainly workers and peasants from all parts of France; the remainder was composed of registered shipping.

That said, here are the practical results obtained by using the natural method in the two institutions following depending on the Navy or the organization, which I worked at for some time, is the best point: the School of  Ship’s Apprentices and the School of the Marines *.

* The natural method is now adopted in the Navy for the physical training of crews, and its implementation continues gradually to the various services, both on board and on shore. It is practiced not only by young men and men made, but also by young persons under eighteen years at the School of Mousses (1100 students) and the Mechanics School (675 students); Finally, by children from seven to fourteen years at the School of wards of the Navy (650 orphans).

I. At the School of Mousses [ship’s apprentices]

The Navy has in the bay of Brest, in the ships Britain and Magellan, the School of Mousses, which includes the current 1200 students from fourteen and a half years to seventeen and a half years. These young people come from all parts of France, but particularly the coast of Brittany. The main physical conditions required for admission to the school, the minimum age of fourteen and a half years, are as follows: 40 kg weight, having 71 cm thoracic perimeter, 1.429 m height, and, at the age of fifteen and a half years, weigh 42 kg, have 1.478 m height, and also 71 cm at least thoracic perimeter.

The School of Mousses is designed to train solid, trained sailors; it is the nursery of future non-commissioned officers of the fleet. The number of students admitted could reach 1600; 400 places are currently vacant due to shortage of candidates. There is obviously little pronounced taste of French youth, except the Bretons, for the hard work of the Sea. *

* Of these 1000 students currently in school, 76 % are Bretons and 30 % sons of seafarers.

Physical education of the mousses is especially careful and we can cite it as an example to all scholarly or military establishments.

It is established in strict accordance with the principles of the natural method described in this study, and it continues throughout the time of the youth stay at the School, ie for a period of eighteen months, two years at most. The regular working sessions of one hour each are only four in number per week, including two onshore and two aboard, but apart from these regular meetings, mousses are daily subjected to by their own occupations, to practice the types of essential utility exercises that are most important. For example, almost all movements on board involve running: running in the ladders of the panels and in the shrouds of the masts as well as the bridges; mast exercises, hoisting and handling of boats, of gear ...consist of all kinds of climbing, or climbing or traverses in dangerous places or where the vertigo is a fear, various efforts of pulling and pushing: The various jobs on board, supply and other chores, forced to lift and transport burdens of all kinds, etc..

On the other hand, maritime exercises, as well as washing the deck performed in all weather and bare feet, trains the mousses to the elements in a remarkable fashion, and sleeping in a simple hammock without sheets accustomed to harsh conditions.
Finally, manual work, which is learning to file, chisel, weld, forge ..., to tie knots and work the ropes, give them the ability to practically address everything while helping their overall development.

Upon leaving school, between sixteen years and a half and seventeen and a half years, or later, the mousses are paid on board vessels of the fleet where they are subject to fatigue and harshest conditions of the deck, and it is never necessary to consider their young age.

Their diet at school is the same as the boarded sailors. Only boys under sixteen years shall receive thirty cl of wine a day instead of fifty. The daily ration is composed of:
Meal bread and soup bread (grayish brown bread): 750 gr; fresh meat: 32O gr, or canned beef: 250 gr; coffee: 20 gr; sugar:  20 gr; wine 50 cl; for a fixed premium 0.20 francs per head for the purchase of groceries, vegetables and fruit. [about 4 cents!]
This ration costs, following the course of food, 0.95 to 1.05 francs [19 to 21 cents]. It is ten to fifteen centimes more expensive than the ration of the soldier, mainly because of the wine that is not usually in the composition of the latter. As a curiosity, note that the minimum soldier ration includes: 1 meal bread and soup bread (white bread): 675 gr; fresh meat: 320 gr; coffee, sugar, groceries, vegetables and fruits : for a value of 0.225 francs.

The 1200 mousses currently at the School are divided into eight companies, each averaging 150 subjects. The arrival and departure of contingents are held every six months in January and July. Approximately 250 to 300 mousses foams, or the quota of two companies, leave the school every six months.

The following table summarizes the results of the physical education of the past three years, giving the overall average for the ability of mousses after one year and eighteen months or two years of residence at the School. This average is deduced by examining cards of subjects belonging to the same groups or companies and by the same age and same length of stay in the school. At the arrival of new troops, the material difficulties of all kinds always prevents advance training of the complete sheets of all the subjects without exception. But those that have been completed so far in the first month of stay in the school are enough to indicate that the physical value of young entrants oscillates around -20 *, not including the swimming events.

* It should be noted that the lower limit of development is the basic code - 12 for the subjects from sixteen to eighteen years and the code - 24 for subjects from fourteen to sixteen years, including Swimming races, respectively, or to – 10 or - 20, without swimming (see The Code of the Force).

The following results are established without taking into account the swimming tests, which are held separately. The first ten tests of the series have been suffered by each mousse in the space of one week and not in a single day.
   GENERAL AVERAGE
   OF PHYSICAL FITNESS
LENGTH OF STAY IN SCHOOL    on arrival 14 ½  to 15 ½ years    after one year of residence 15 ½  to 16 ½ years.    after 18 months or 2 years of residence 16 ½  years to 17 ½.
1 July 1908 to July 1, 1910.
1 January 1909 to 1 January 1911. From 1 July 1909 to July 1, 1911.    -20 approx
Same
Same    + 6.80
+ 5.10
+ 8.50   + 13.10
+ 15.10
+ 17.40

The final averages increased from 1908 to 1911, as the organization of exercise lessons has advanced. It is hoped that now, thanks to the zeal of the instructor officers, the final averages are never lower than currently.

With the goal to complete this presentation of results,  the general physical fitness of mousses currently attending school (November 1911) and having at least one year of residence, has been determined in an extremely precise fashion, from the 15 to 30 October 1911.

The results obtained in the first ten tests of the series, affecting each mousse in the space of one week, were as follows for different groups:

1 - Contingent of old mousses before disembarking December 31, 1911.
Number of students: 103.
Duration of stay at the school: 22 months.
From what we said above, 250 to 300 former mousses quit the School every six months. The contingent of formers landing on 31 December 1911 should include at least 250 subjects, but there are only 103. This follows a ministerial dispatch which authorizes the school commander to pay the crews of the fleet, from the age of sixteen and a half years, the most educated and most robust subjects who have had at least an eighteen month stay at the school.

The 103 former mousses of whom we speak represent the remainder of a group of 333 beginning mousses presented  June 30, 1911, ie effectively of two companies, companies 2 and 3. In the circumstances. Other mousses forming part of the original company have been released early since 1 July 1911.

Physical examination of 103 former subjects gave the following:
Overall average of 103 subjects:  + 18.10
Overall average of ten strongest:  + 40.54.
Overall average of the ten weakest: + 7.90.
Total points of the strongest: + 51.20.
Total points of the weakest  + 2.80.
Average weight of 103 topics: 59.1 kg
Weight of the heaviest: 74.5 kg
Weight of the lightest subject: 48 kg.
Height size of the largest: 1. 77 m.
Height size of the smallest on: 1.55 m.

The strongest subject, ie one who has obtained 51.20 as the total number of points in the first ten races of the series-type, has the main features: height 1.74 m, weight 74 kg; 1 meter chest circumference with forced inspiration; 32 cm arm, right arm bent. He is a Breton named Henry, born in Huelgoat (Finistère), he is seventeen years and three months.

2 Contingent to land in June 1912 (First Company).
Students: 121 subjects.
Duration of stay at the School: 16 months.
Overall average of subjects + 11.64
Overall average of ten strongest +32.94.
Overall average of the ten lowest - 7.98.
Total number of points of the strongest + 40.45.
Total number of points of the weakest: - 31.8.
(This is a subject with a weak and sickly constitution.)
Average weight of 121 Topics: 56.3 kg
Weight of the heaviest: 73.5 kg.
Weight of the lightest subject: 43.5 kg
Height of the tallest 1.75 m.
Height of the smallest 1.495 m.

Characteristics of the strongest, having obtained as total number of points +40: Size: 1.62 m Weight: 67 kg, perimeter thoracic in forced inspiration: 0.92 m; arm perimeter, right arm flexed: 3o cm. He is a Breton named Lorec, born in Belle-Ile, is sixteen years old and five months.

3 - Contingent before landing in June 1915 (4th Company).
Students: 119 subjects.
Length of stay in school: 16 months.
Overall average of 119 subjects: + 13.77.
Overall average of the ten strongest: + 37.74.
Overall average of the ten weakest: - 1.36.
Total number of points of the strongest subject: + 45.4
Total number of points of the weakest: - 6.05.
Average weight of 119 subjects: 56 kg.
Weight of the heaviest: 71 kg.
Weight of the lightest: 46 kg.
Height of the tallest 1.75 m.
Height of the smallest  1.47 m

Main features of the strongest subject, having obtained as total number of points + 45.40: height: 1.65m  Weight: 62 kg; chest perimeter in forced inspiration: 0.88 m; arm, right arm flexed: 28 cm. He is a Breton named Ferrère born in Lorient and aged sixteen years and three months.

4 - Staff instructors.
It may be worthwhile to add to this suite of results, the overall average of the instructor staff at the school, which includes 12 districts teachers of musketry and 4 rifle patented, whose age ranges from twenty-three to forty years .
Average of 16 instructors: 34.80.
Total number of points in the strongest: + 70.45.
Total number of points in the weakest: + 14.25.
Total number of points in the oldest (4o years): + 35.75.
These instructors are not experts; the teaching of physical exercises just falls within the scope of their very complex duties. We must also consider that several of them have suffered the fatigue of long campaigns before their arrival at the school.
The main characteristics of the strongest instructor, having obtained as total number of points +70.45 are as follows: Size: 1. 76 m; weight: 69 kg; chest perimeter in forced inspiration: 1.01 m; arm, right arm bent: 32 cm. He is a Breton named Martin, born in Loqueffreis (Finistère) and aged twenty-four and a half years.

5 Summary of results concerning the value of fitness. Average performance in various tests.

In summary, the overall average for the ability of different groups of mousses having at least one year of residence at the School was the following 31 October 1911:

GENERAL AVERAGE
Number remaining in 2 and 3 companies: 103 subjects
before starting the 31 December 1911 + 18.10
I Company, effective: 121 subjects before starting the
30 June 1912 + 11.64
4th company Effective: 119 subjects before starting the
30 June 1912  + 13.77
This represents an average of + 14.00 for the 343 mousses aged sixteen to seventeen and a half years currently attending school.

One can assume that in June 1912, after eight new months of training, 1st and 4th companies will at least equal + 18, the actual average of the former contingent of 2nd and 3rd companies.

It is interesting to know what accounts for nearly all of these averages. The following table gives the average performance of different groups of mousses in each of the ten tests of the series:
Groups           Races                           Jumps                                  Climb   Lift   Throw
                   100m   500m      1500m   Hi 0       Hi +      Long 0   Long +   Rope   40kg   16#
Old [2 & 3 Co]   14.8   1:33       5:34           1.0m       1.21m   2.30m   4.12m   8.50m   2x   6.10m
New 1st Co           14.9   1:35.5   5:37   .89m   1.12m   2.21m   3.77m   8.33m   1x   5.92m
New 4th Co   14.8   1:36   5:40   .93m   1.15m   2.24m   4.00m   8.57m   1.5x   5.95m

The average performance in throwing the weight was weak for the three companies relative to average performances of the other tests. That is because there was not enough material for throwing, so the exercise was not practical or convenient.

6 ° Endurance racing background.
To show the durability of mousses in the race, I add that the various contributors mentioned above, except a waste of 10 % formed by the sickly subjects, executed on a track, grouped in military formation, ie at a pace slower than that of an individual race, a race of 12 kilometers without stopping. The minimum time was 1:04 and the maximum 1:10.

In general, at the end of each week there is an endurance race on progressive courses varying from 1.5 to 10 kilometers.

7 ° Swimming.

With regard to swimming, from a total of 573 mousses composing the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th companies on 1 July 1911, 226 were unable to tread water. 3o September 1911, 11 still could not swim at all, after eight weeks of swimming exercise because, for the entire month of August, mousses are on vacation.

On 4 September 1911, at the fifth week of training, a test of swimming took place on a
course of 500 meters: 250 meters in one direction and 250 meters in the opposite direction due to the current; 117 mousses participated and 57 have fully completed the course: the 1st in 13:52 and 57th in 20:34. The weakest of the other 60 had traveled 220 meters.

8 ° Air baths.

Mousses mix with air daily on board or ashore, either during the exercise session, or during part of this meeting, according to the weather.

Their training to cold, heat or the burning rays of the sun is particularly remarkable and has always astonished those who can see them at work. The population of Brest, which always follows with interest the mousses exercises for several years, often witnessed the spectacle: in winter, on their field exercise, in the polygon of the navy, especially where beaten by the wind, the mousses exercised with bare torsos; in front of them soldiers, torso warmly dressed in a shirt (and often a flannel or a sweater on top), a flannel belt, a jacket and sometimes a hood perform the exercises in the Regulation of Physical Education in the army.

Post by: Gregg on May 04, 2009, 12:48:51 PM

The final installment: Severely abridged, because I'm bored of this book. The rest of chapter 9 is more stats on people he's trained.

[Caption on QM picture]: Exercise walking and running with support hands on the floor.
(Elementary exercise of climbing). This complete exercise of travel with the four members strengthens especially the upper limbs and develops some of the skills needed to climb and scale.

He talks about training kids. How one would run off to chase butterflies during races, etc.

The most extraordinary of all this little band is certainly Lo Louay, who has just turned ten years old. The day after the 50 kilometers test [31 miles], he showed absolutely no trace of fatigue. He is very well equipped for all types of exercises. Here are some of his usual performances:

High Jump without dash: 0.6m;
High jump with dash 0.8m;
Long jump with dash 3.05m
Throwing 16# weight (average of both arms): 2.5 m;
Press a 15 kg bar: 3 times
Climb the rope without using the legs (start sitting on the ground): 3.5m.

To climb with legs, Le Louay reached the top of the highest string of the gymnasium of the School of Marine Riflemen, or 15.5 m, or he goes up three times in succession at the top of a string of 12 meters, sitting just two or three minutes between each climb. He commonly passes over the traverse of gates 8 meters in height, etc..Finally, like all his young comrades, Le Louay is a great little fighter, fighting Breton naturally.

I wish to point out, in conclusion, that the performances we just read were not performed by choice subjects or having specially preparation under the direction of a professor or even having been pushed into the tests to the extreme limit of their forces. It is simply the results obtained, without force of any sort, with any children who are growing freely outdoors without supervision and who are far from having a diet as rich as that of a son of the bourgeoisie. These budding young athletes are also ready to start again and do a lot better.

I delivered their performances, I personally checked them all, at the meditation  of parents or teachers too timid when it comes to exercise their children or students.

CHAPTER X
PRACTICAL CONCLUSIONS [abridged]

Only the natural method gets such great results. Theoretically, other methods will work, but practically, they are pursuing different goals, for a variety of reasons.

[and then he goes over the reasons, again]

And that's the end, as far as I'm concerned. I'm free from translating! Free! Free, I tell you! Oh wait - there's the other book, still...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:51:24 PM by Gregg »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 04:56:04 PM »
I hope this works....

naturalninja

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 01:00:56 AM »
"image not available" can you guys see them?

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 01:57:31 AM »
Yes. I may have to email it to you, then.

naturalninja

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 08:43:31 AM »
if its not too much trouble that'd be awesome:D if it is trouble then its grand im not too far off the 0 values anyway:)

voteketchup@hotmail.com

turtlekarma

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »
"image not available" can you guys see them?

I can

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
I had to email it to him. Weird that it won't let him view it. Maybe because of the differences in US and Euro copyright laws? Under US law, this book is public domain, but under Euro law, the copyright is still owned by the Hebert family until year of author's death [1959] +75 years = 2034 or something like that.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 03:01:15 PM »
I inserted the pictures... most of them are taken from Practical Guide.

Going thru this book again - I skipped so much of it. I'm almost tempted to take another look, and see what I left out.
After a year away from it... maybe there's an important nugget I missed?

naturalninja

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 09:55:16 AM »
i would be very grateful! :D although to be honest i havent read everything you've translated first...:(

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 01:33:17 PM »
I had started translating this book after weeks of reading the Practical Guide. At that time I thought "I don't need this - I've already read it." I've now gone back and re-translated [and replaced] Chapter 1. I've got a ton of other projects to work on... Let me know when you've finished chapters 1 & 2, and I'll think about translating chapter 3.

The appendixes are other people's reports of how great the Natural Method is: doctor's reports, press coverage... I'll ignore those. You can Google translate them for yourself....

« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:48:08 PM by Gregg »

naturalninja

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »
The appendixes are other people's reports of how great the Natural Method is: doctor's reports, press coverage... I'll ignore those. You can Google translate them for yourself....

!?!?! sounds like it was all movnat-ish back in its day!:D if only it had caught on and WWII hadn't happened:(

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 02:06:44 PM »
Ok. Chapter 3 has been fully translated. It's no longer a 2 sentence summary.
I see things that need work in all the chapters. I'll try to polish the English.