Author Topic: The Hole  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
The Hole
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:06:14 PM »
Photos from CK's phone-cam. Mahalo!

Satellite photo [Google]

Overview

Looking inside

Detail - lots of opala :(

Concrete and rusty metal

Small gap jump
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: The Hole
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »
I found the Hole when I was randomly running through cane fields near King's Cathedral in Kahului. It's easy to find with Google Maps, but hard to spot from the road, since it's a hole/ below ground level. Is it trespassing? Probably, but I came from a weird direction, so didn't see any signs. There's plenty rusty metal. It's not in good shape... especially the building [pump house?].

Is it good for parkour? I think it could ok be if it was cleaned up more. The fun is more in running around in the fields and finding it. Danger level depends on what you do - jumping [or falling] from the edge would probably bust you up real bad. Walking down the stairs and doing the little gap jumps is super easy, especially compared to rock jumping Iao Stream.

It's more fun to go with a friend. Some day we'll head down there with brooms, gloves, shovels, etc... see how well we can clean it out.

Offline Michael Porreca

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Billings Team Parkour
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 03:17:31 PM »
sounds like a good eco friendly pk move plus it'd make it more fun to train there after, im going to google map it now that i know the general area
There is a chance you could kill yourself tripping on a rock on a sidewalk. There's a chance your heart could suddenly stop. There's even a chance that the atoms of the ground and your body could line up perfectly and you would fall through the ground into the earths mantle. - Jake Vigil APK

turtlekarma

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »
cool spot...is wall climbable?  meaning are there hand holds?

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:49:12 AM »
I ran here again last night, but didn't have much play time.

Look at the first photo: The side wall is pretty smooth 30' drop to rock/ concrete. The back wall is rock part way up. If you look at the left side of the building, esp in the blurry second pic, you can see there's a pool of scummy water at the bottom.

The far right side of the wall is climbable but the first bit is undercut, and the rock on top is loose. Chris and I made a couple tries to get up, but decided to move on.

The front wall is pretty smooth up for 15-20', then has ledges. Some jerk dumped boxes of nails down that side... It's easier to use the stairs :D

Here's some stuff from HIpk forum that didn't get copied here.

To me it looks awesome and scary from above. I over-guessed the depths and stuff. I think Chris under-estimated it. It's just this hole in the middle of nowhere. I only found it because I was running around at random.

The building houses a pump or generator and some busted up electrical panels. What I wonder is what was on the concrete blocks that was so massive that it took so many heavy bolts to hold it down? Also, why did they build it below ground level? Why isn't it there now? There are all sorts of World War 2 buildings scattered on the island. Is this left over from then?

There's 5' deep [scummy] water between the building and the back wall. When I came down before, I think I said it felt weird and oppressive. I didn't get that feeling going with another person. Most of the garbage is stuff like books, auto parts, baseball trophies, 45 RPM records, stuff that doesn't stink. The water's a little musty. Maybe that's part of what I was picking up?