Author Topic: What if you can't do the workout?  (Read 3588 times)

Dekudude

What if you can't do the workout?
« on: July 07, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »
Hi there!

So today, July 7, I gave my first WotD a try. Let's just say, I can't do the planche, pseudo-planche pushups, or the handstand press. What am I supposed to do if I'm ever given a workout I can't do? Improvise and do something else? TRY to do those things?

Also, while I'm here, and to prevent creating another topic, when doing handstands, what is the best way to prevent the wrists from hurting (mine hurt... and I was doing them against a wall, too) and the blood from rushing to your head? That was definitely the reason I couldn't < 30 seconds... my arms were fine; face, not so much.

Thanks a lot! :)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
Re: What if you can't do the workout?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 04:15:21 PM »
If you can't do the WOD (which is the case for a lot of people - self included), it's all about scaling. Basically you look at what the WOD is asking you to do, in this case:

For 20:00, work the skills that preclude the planche. These would include Handstand holds to slow-lowering (whether against the wall or free-standing), the appropriate Planche Progressions, Pseudo-Planche pushups (pushups with your hands down near or at the level of your hips, hands facing to the side or towards the back) and the handstand press.

Now, most people can't just do a planche straight off the bat, which is why the instructions say to work the skills that will help you work up to the planche (I'm assuming they mean "precede" rather than "preclude" :P). If you click on the words "Planche Progression" in the email, that sends you to Coach Sommers' site, which gives you more information on skills you can use to build up to the planche - like frogstands. Basically just do what you can in the WOD, and if you can't do something, work a skill that will help you be able to do it the next time it comes around.

I'm gonna leave handstand advice to someone who knows more than I do. ;)
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Dekudude

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 06:14:13 PM »
Hmm, okay. Sounds fair enough.

Are these workouts meant to replace all other fitness-dedicated exercises? EG I used to do a lot of pushups and situps every other day. Should I follow these workouts instead?

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »
Hmm, okay. Sounds fair enough.

Are these workouts meant to replace all other fitness-dedicated exercises? EG I used to do a lot of pushups and situps every other day. Should I follow these workouts instead?

Depends on what your goals are
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Christopher Meyer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 08:00:38 PM »
First off, congrats for starting your first WOD!  I just started them last month, even though I'd seen them for 3+ months prior ... they are intimidating for sure, but in time, doable.

I'm 37 years old, 10-lbs overweight, and in moderately good physical condition.  These workouts have taken me to another level in only a month, and I look back at my "old" workout routines and think, 'how boring!' ... I'm aiming to be a hellishly fit 40-year old so I can keep up with my two toddlers as well as try some serious parkour moves.

One thing that helped me prepare for the WOD - and this was completely by accident - was the Mens Health Bellyoff! Bodyweight II program; I used to be 40-lbs overweight.  Here's a link to the program:

http://www.menshealth.com/bellyoff/

Also look into workouts called "grease the groove" ... I learned about them on this forum, and they work really well.

Good luck, and keep at it!

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 04:52:06 AM »
I just got my freestanding handstand for 28 seconds the other day and you have to remember to breathe regularly as if you were just standing on your feet. 
I eat a lot of food.

Dekudude

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 07:30:52 AM »
Yeah, I got 30 seconds when I did it, and my face felt like it was going to explode. How to people do 3 minutes handstands with that limitation in mind?

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 01:48:45 PM »
You have to breathe like I said, on a completely off topic notion good job on the 30 sec. freestanding, it usually take people alot of time to work up to that.
I eat a lot of food.

Dekudude

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 02:03:17 PM »
...Who said anything about freestanding? :-[ ;D