Author Topic: APK Magazine  (Read 9035 times)

Offline Team Avian

• Completely and Utterly Banned not.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
Re: APK Magazine
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »
Plus, I could read it at school during down time... THAT would be EPIC! I'm already excited about that because I can see myself NOT being bored anymore when I'm done with my work... Instead I can be learning!  You know... that thing that we go to school to do...

Plus, I could spread the word better If I had material to back me up!

-Kyle(Rage)
Team Avian soaring through the city-scape

Team Avian's Home Page

Team Avian's Youtube Channel

Quote from: Beretta
"Open mindedness is an essential parkour skill."

**APK Roof Police**

Offline Jordan Dominguez

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 08:50:34 PM »
I would honestly subscribe to this magazine if it came out.

Offline Skye

• Ambassador
  • Mangabey
  • o.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 08:21:48 AM »
I would def sub to the mag. It would beat me downloading instruction vids on my psp hopeing no one would take it while I train. ^,..,^
ME:  "I'm a graphic artist."
HIM: "whats that? What do you do?"
ME:   "well actually it can be pretty hard, i have to  code and..." (getting all technical with my words on what i do."
HIM:  "blank Stare"
ME: "I make pretty pictures..."

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 08:45:06 AM »
BIG part of Magazines... they are Portable... so I would be able to take it with me to have a CONSISTANTLY refreshed memory...  That would be GREAT... it could work as a reminder for Jams and such too... like a Calender in it somewhere... maybe 4 pages of it (Regional Calender posting the biggest jams for that area)

-Kyle(Rage)

Oh yeah, I'd love to see a calender with all the big jams and events around the world (Well, if not around the world, then just the U.S.) Currently the new APK Calender is cluttered and hard to read...
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Adam Doll

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Holmes County Traceur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 12:30:50 PM »
Cool idea; i would probably subscribe if it was reasonably priced.  However, print media is dying.  Zach Cohn realizes why:
So where would you draw the line between content that goes on APK for free, and content that you have to pay for in the magazine?
  Not many people will pay money for a mag when they can find the same thing for free online. 
"One thing is certain.  If you do only what you feel like doing, your life will be miserable and you will be a failure."
-Matthew Kelly

Offline Mitchell

• Patas
  • Je m'apelle Mitchell, je suis un nouveau traceur.
    • View Profile
    • Valca Design
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 02:36:43 PM »
Cool idea; i would probably subscribe if it was reasonably priced.  However, print media is dying.  Zach Cohn realizes why:
So where would you draw the line between content that goes on APK for free, and content that you have to pay for in the magazine?
  Not many people will pay money for a mag when they can find the same thing for free online. 

As I said before:
The design industry for the last decade has been continually screaming, "PRINT IS DEAD, BAIL TO THE INTERNET!" but in many respects it's crying wolf. For the news industry, yes. Print is dead. News needs to be received while it's current, and the internet allows a constant feeding tube. Magazines, however, are not just news. Real, timeless content can occupy that space.

They can't find the same thing for free online if you don't post it online. There doesn't need to be a line drawn, you just put content wherever you want it.
Nous changeons le mouvement de l'humanité contemporaine.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 02:50:29 PM »
There does need to be a line drawn though. We have to make a choice: Does this get posted online, or does it go in the mag?

If it goes in the mag, we instantly have a much smaller exposure to that content. If it's high quality information, we want to get it out there to help as many people as possible. If it's low quality information.. then we don't want to release it at all.

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 04:35:08 PM »
One solution could be to print content in the magazine first, then post it for free online a week or so later. That way those subscribing to the magazine get the content first and feel justified for paying for it, while everyone else eventually gets the same treatment and won't feel shortchanged. I'm pretty sure that's how Men's Health does it.

Also, you can give subscribers little benefits at the website, like perhaps wallpapers, limited access videos and behind the scenes, etc. (Sorta like how we already donate)

Offline Team Avian

• Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 06:06:01 PM »
I still think the portability of it would be best... I mean... you can't ALWAYS have the internet... well I can't... I'm NOT gonna go out and buy a Black Berry and pay 257,000 dollars for the special service that it requires just to get internet that I can surf...

But a Magazine, I could read ANYWHERE... I could watch the frame by frame shots and compare it to what I am doing ON THE SPOT...  I could have a permanent calender to take with me that would show the Jams around the country (Reminds me perfectly)... It would give me incentive to spread the word if I could just open it to the Philosophy section and just say, here read this and look at the pretty pictures...

I say it'd be pretty much, perfection... I would LOVE to have something to occupy me in down time... and a Demon's Drills section (That I never get to see because I ALWAYS forget...) Would be epic to have while training... remind me while I'm there... not show me and then have me try to remember 3 days later

and if you REALLY wanted to, you could have an online version of the magazine...  Maybe the same, maybe not... either way I'd carry the real thing with me...  But yea... Like I said... the REAL perk is that it is portable...

-Kyle(Rage)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 06:07:36 PM by Team Avian »

Team Avian's Home Page

**APK Roof Police**

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
I'm not arguing against it, I think it'd be awesome too. I'm just posing questions to get different answers - there really isn't a need to keep stressing the same positive points over and over again.

Offline Everett McClain

• Patas
  • Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 07:12:40 PM »
I 185th this idea (because everyone who even looks at the topic name goes: that would be awesome)
However, MONTHLY!!!!
I already read a running magazine monthly, but its more... nonrelated :x Yes, You could easily fill a year or two with the articles already on this site, then with people writing in, feature traceur/traceuse, Movement of the month, get some more of the forgotten movements in there(Sorry, I love those articles) tips and tricks, some merchendise selling.

THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL IDEA! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN
"Everyday Men and Women are the World are seen Climbing Scaffolding and Jumping off Walls.

For Them The City Is A Gaint Jungle Gym And Recess Lasts Forever." - New York Parkour ~ Physical Graffiti

Proud to still be a kid out the

Offline Team Avian

• Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 08:08:46 PM »
I'm sorry to have been stressing those points but it seemed like it was getting ignored completely...

I see now that it was not the case (My bad)

I just can envision me sitting in school bored out of my mind and then, "APK MAGAZINE!" and anouncer shouts (Kids cheering) and applauding... Then black cut between scenes and I'm just casually sitting there reading it...

t'would be amazing beyond belief...

Well ok, then as for the info, I like the idea of posting it up 1-2 weeks after the magazine

but another thing is that you could do rare things every now and then like Interviews with top Traceurs and Traceuses or something that are only on the magazine

you know, things that don't REALLY matter but are really cool to read about

-Kyle(Rage)

Team Avian's Home Page

**APK Roof Police**

Offline Jericho_Sides

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Omaha Parkour / Freerunning
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2009, 02:41:36 PM »
Some great Ideas here you guys, and good insight Mitchell and Zachery.  From you two I’ve gathered that it needs to have all of the latest and future events/stories while giving sections a timeless quality different than what can be found on the internet. 

Here is what else I’ve been able to piece together:  I includes a summation most(if not all) of the ideas posted.
"Information that would be useful to its readers"   "epic idea" 

Content

Highlights and interviews of different traceurs (famous/known, maybe unknown) to see what they do "A Day in the Life of..." 
Warm-ups, exercises, conditioning, training methods, moves, drills, etc...    (Demon's Drills section)
Featured traceur/traceuse, Movement of the month, forgotten movements, tips and tricks
Tutorials of such showing 6 progressive frames on one page to demonstrate the motion involved (with text of course)
Local and international parkour news/events and stories, headlining what's taking place in the community
Calendar listing the biggest jams, and special events in different regions of the US, and maybe the world
Philosophy, psychology, physics/science, sports, travel, and history surrounding parkour/freerunning and its development
Perhaps every once and a while an issue specifically dedicated to certain subjects i.e. tutorials

Inspiration

Other sports magazines to look at the set-up
To base it similarly off of the APK site
Local and/or international focuses

Funding

No shortage of subscribers with some 65,000 members on APK, not to mention all of the Traceurs/Freerunners that aren't on APK
Get companies (i.e. Nike or Adidas) to pay for advertisements/reviews of their brands/items/equipment
Generous donors
Merchandise sales
American Parkour itself (obviously) etc

Pricing

Can't be too expensive to start out so that people are interested
Create a special offer or likewise

Other positives

Might get more people into the discipline
Increase APK membership/publicity
Earn more respect for the discipline

Extras

There should be a poll to see how many people would buy it. (needing to account for whether or not some people see the pole)
print content in the magazine first, then post it for free online a week or so later.
Use special codes to give subscribers benefits at the APK site, like wallpapers, limited access videos and behind the scenes, etc.

Freerunner & Internet vs A Physical Magazine

"Whatever happened to The Freerunner?"  "It still comes out every month" 
Here is the link http://freerunnermag.net/live/ I checked it out and it looks great, but it's limited to the internet/computers. 
Point being not everyone has a computer, a magazine is more portable, reads better, and might have knowledge specific to the magazine.  Check out Mitchell Lewis' comments for other reasons.
"Quality. As bad as this might sound, printed stories tend to have more weight than internet stories. They tend to be more thought out, more thorough, and more informative." "Portability and Coverage"

Other people mentioned how it might help them not be so attached to and distracted by the internet.
"i need to quit spending so much time on here and more time outside training!! lol"

Other Points

"I could read it at school during down time"
"It would give me incentive to spread the word if I could just open it to the Philosophy section and just say, here read this"
"Currently the new APK Calender is cluttered and hard to read."
"THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL IDEA! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN"
I'm going to do what I can.  More feedback people?  So far it's all sounding good to me. :)

Now I just want to hear about what APK thinks about it.
+10 push-ups

Offline Saki Krys

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 02:54:33 PM »
I don't really have any useful feedback (sowwy) XP Just wanted to say that I, along with all you others, think that this is an amazing idea! :)

The fact that you can carry it around and show it to ppl will be a great way to spread the knowlege of parkour to the "uncultured" ppl XP

Offline Team Avian

• Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 07:29:29 PM »
lol, any more questions? I'm sure we can discuss and conclude anything in question...

-Kyle(Rage)

Team Avian's Home Page

**APK Roof Police**

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2009, 08:25:03 AM »
Jericho_Sides - Thanks for the awesome summary/analysis! Definitely very helpful. The one problem...

Here is the link http://freerunnermag.net/live/ I checked it out and it looks great, but it's limited to the internet/computers.

That's not our magazine. :p Jason Todrick was planning on publishing a magazine similar to The Freerunner (he called his "Freerunner Magazine actually..). Our website is: http://thefreerunner.net/. We've been neglecting it a little bit while focusing on some other efforts, but it redesigned our template which should make it a lot easier to keep it up to date. Also look out for PDF versions available on the website soon.

I like all these ideas, and I've actually done a fair amount of research on my own about the costs involved. I can't promise anything for sure, and I can't promise anything soon, but there's definitely been a lot of very interesting and helpful discussion on this thread...

Now here's another question for people to talk about. Lets say there was a quarterly print magazine.

Would you be content with four print issues a year, or would you still want the online version too?

Offline Team Avian

• Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2009, 09:31:56 AM »
I'd be content with just 1 print magazine at all  ;D

I know that it would take a lot to constantly be working on a magazine to publish so I'd understand any amount (many or few) of magazines per year (Online or Offline)

-Kyle(Rage)

Team Avian's Home Page

**APK Roof Police**

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 03:18:40 PM »
I'd be happy with four prints a year, and maybe one special issue as a wrap up or preview for that year. I understand the logistics and money involved in such an endeavor so a quarterly print is all you could ask for for now. The nice thing about it though is that, if people like it, we have a built in fan base. (The members of APK and eventually all other PK/FR groups)

My only suggesstion would be to make the magazine as independent as possible, offering views/opinions from all sides. Otherwise it could look like a marketing ploy for APK. (Honestly, GNC and many other health industry based companies publish their own "magazines", which are just vehicles to push their products further)

And I'm going to throw my name out right away and say I'd be more than willing to help make this happen. I'm a Health & Exercise Science major in college with a minor in Journalism so this is literally right up my street.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 08:05:34 PM »
How would we cover the most important part of Parkour/Freerunning..... video?!

lol, We would need a pretty dedicated effort to produce a hard copy. Printing, editors, etc.... It would be awesome though!!

Offline Hamish West

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2009, 08:26:45 PM »
hi,
im thinking of making a parkour e-zine, heres the link for more info:
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=18758.0
Thanks,
HR3