Author Topic: What happened to fpk?  (Read 4986 times)

Offline The Unexpected

• Patas
    • View Profile
What happened to fpk?
« on: July 06, 2006, 10:39:12 AM »
Where oh where has my freestyle gone,
oh where oh where could it be?
Where oh where has my freestyle gone,
was it lost in the jump overseas?

I forget the url of the old website, but before there was americanparkour.com, the people here were all involved in a website that included traceurs from all over (mostly in europe), and I have noticed one big change from the european scene to the american one.  There isn't any mention of freestyle parkour! Anytime somone posts a video that they happened to do a flip in and asks for help or critique, everyone is quick to jump on and help but then goes on to comment that you shouldn't work on flips because they aren't parkour, or they are just for goofing around.  But that is the mentality of fundamental parkour.  Fresstyle parkour allows for the flashy movement even though it might not get you there faster, or is completely redundant.  I have heard it said that flips are just tricking. That isn't true.  Flips may not be Fundamental Parkour, but they ARE Freestyle Parkour.  If you do a kong to precision, and then backflip off of that precision, then it is Freestyle Parkour!  How come no one brings up fpk anymore?  I always liked it better because it was flashier and I'm a showoff ;D, but it seems it has been lost in translation from europe to america. :-\ :'(

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to fpk?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 11:53:04 AM »
Is the old site www.urbanfreeflow.com. Also yeah that is what I believe is FRPK, but I still can't do flips...cause I don't care.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 11:56:37 AM »
FRPK was term invented by Urban Free FLow it has has been broadly rejected by parkour community cause its oxymoronic. Parkour can not be freestyle or it ceases to be parkour. If you like mixing parkour style techniques with acrobatics the most accepted terms for that are free running or le art du deplacement. www.3run.co.uk is the best place to find a community of people with similar interests.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Sam Slater

• Patas
  • a.k.a. 'Disciple'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 12:00:58 PM »
I have to say that you are quite brave for bringing up this subject, as I am sure that many people will respond telling you that this has been discussed a hundred times.  However, as I have the time I'll attempt to explain as best I can.

This website's goal is to promote the original goals and intentions of parkour.  In order to do so, they stress that flips and other such motions are often not to be considered parkour.  This is so that people new to parkour, including the media, do not go out and spread the idea that when someone sees acrobatics outside a gymnasium, it is parkour.

Now from what I can tell, no one person associated with this web site has said that people should not do flips.  I have read countless posts from them attempting to explain that they should not be classed as parkour, but they almost always include in these posts that if people want to train in acrobatics and gymnastics that they should feel free to.  In fact, quite a few of the individuals associated with this site do practice gymnastic and acrobatic skills as well as parkour.  Actually, if you visit the videos section of this website, SkyNative's video is a video devoted mostly to acrobatics and parkour.  The key is that they do not confuse the two of them or try to say one is the other.

Now I don't doubt that freestyle parkour has made a name for itself, and that people will continue to use that name to describe what it is that they are doing, however it is really just parkour and acrobatics.  So when people demonstrate these abilities via videos on this site, they are often described as such.

I am sorry that you have pervieved a loss of such videos and activities.  If you really want to find some on the site though, try SkyNative's video that is/was in the videos section.  And if you have questions on acrobatic or gymnastic moves, I am sure that there are many individuals who frequent this site that would be more than willing to help you out. 

« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 12:25:19 PM by Disciple »

Offline The Unexpected

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 12:09:42 PM »
Im not talking just about flips.  Wanted to clarify that.  This has nothing to do with flips.  What is the name for it then?

I don't care what anyone thinks.  Im going to move around in the same spot, do wallflips, handspring vault, and pull aerials off of whatever I please AND call it frestyle parkour.  You can't stop me! 8)

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 12:46:36 PM »
there are plenty of names for it. tricking, 3run, freerun, yamakazi, l'art du placement (think i spelled that wrong). they are all similar if not the same and include wasted movement and flips. Freestyle parkour is just adding to the list and i personally dont get why anybody needs it. they have plenty of other names to choose from.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 01:40:40 PM »
If you want to throw in flips, spins, and other things for show, or increased difficulty, there is already a name for that. Some of the original people Belle trained with wanted to do this. So they broke away from parkour and now they do something known as Yamakasi. There are also other things like this such as 3run (team evo) and l'art du deplacement (team adrenaline). And then long after these people, UFF (seidojin) decided to make up their own name for business purposes (freestyle parkour). do you see the oxymoron there? parkour is all about effectiveness, and freestyle wants to add flips and flair. what does that mean? freestyle parkour essentially means "ineffiecient efficiency".

Nobody cares what kind of movement you do. People only get annoyed when you label something wrong.

Offline FrostBite795

• Guenons
  • The Balancing Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 03:46:43 PM »
Wow, is this the exact same question that Matthew Lee Willis got smitten for all those months ago?

Austin, APK doesn't oppose flips, and I don't think that videos get flamed for having flips in them.  Demon and Faelcind answered your question the most accurately; the term "freestyle parkour" is a contradiction of itself.

M2 (or any of the admins), I suggest you Sticky a topic to the top of the forum titled "ABOUT FLIPS AND FRPK", and say everything there is to say on the topic.  I think the community would like to stop wasting energy explaining.  Clearly, not enough people have read the "What Parkour is" article on the homepage.
Some laws are made to be broken.  Like gravity.

Offline Nick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 05:09:38 PM »
yeah make the  "what parkour is not" link rrrreeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy big and flashy, just so people get the idea.
"We aren't here right now to live forever, we'll live forever tomorow

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 05:51:54 PM »
[disclaimer]comic relief[/disclaimer]

Offline IwishIcould

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 06:52:40 PM »
No such thing as FSPK as it contradicts itself and causes acne, severe volcanic acne.

Offline Tsumaru

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Michael Yon: Online Magazine ((NOT MY SITE!))
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 07:21:22 PM »
Where did this whole "3run" thing come from? Last I checked that was the name of their website (and maybe their group as a whole?) - not what they called what they do. I don't think they'd say "Let's do some 3running". As I understand it, that would be the equivalent of saying "Let's do some Urban Freeflowing!"

Of course I may be incorrect, but it just sounds stupid. Especially the fact that it's a 3, a number. That sounded more like a pun in a name for a website/group, not as a title for the entire artform.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 07:47:36 PM »
3run because they do a mix of 3 disciplines. freerunning, wu shu, and street stunts.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 09:41:25 PM »
dude!!! hey that is when FREESTYLE was STILL AROUND.  LET ME TELL YOU...IT IS NOT ANYMORE.  I REPEAT.  THAT IS WHEN FRPK WAS STILL AROUND. 

FRPK DOES NOT EXSIST!!! *plugs ears* LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Tsumaru

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Michael Yon: Online Magazine ((NOT MY SITE!))
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 02:36:15 AM »
3run because they do a mix of 3 disciplines. freerunning, wu shu, and street stunts.
Yes I understand - but as I said, it sounded more like a pun in a name, not what they intended to be a name for the artform that they practice. As I said, I don't think they say "let's go do some 3running". *shrugs*

Offline Nick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 06:17:03 AM »
chill with the caps lock  8)
"We aren't here right now to live forever, we'll live forever tomorow

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 08:12:55 AM »
Matthew.................................... I applaud you :) hah

and the only people talking any sense in this thread are the ones telling you that freestyle parkour does not exist. UF created it, and they also abandoned it. NOT EVEN THE FOUNDERS OF THE WORD AGREE THAT IT IS CORRECT. Like what was said, freestyle and parkour are polar opposites and cannot be combined to fit one term. We have given you plenty of things to name what you do, just check demon's post. So there you go, now you dont have to sound like a retard by calling it freestyle parkour.... because thats exactly what it is, retarded.

please dont argue against this, there is no point. weve been around for some time now, so just trust us that we know. Please dont crap all over the name 'parkour.'

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 09:06:24 AM »
Dusted off the old applaud button just for you, Matt.

Offline Daniel Faulkner

• Guenons
  • pierced one
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 09:33:15 AM »
I think what is being left out here is what that type of movement is called now by the majority of the community.  Now this type of movement is reffered to as free running. Which once was used to describe parkour in "American Terms". Things have changed, its just what happens.

So as akh horus said lets stop beating this dead horse. :)
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Not all who wander are lost. J.R. Tolkien

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 09:41:24 AM »
Yes I understand - but as I said, it sounded more like a pun in a name, not what they intended to be a name for the artform that they practice. As I said, I don't think they say "let's go do some 3running". *shrugs*

Well when your talking to another traceur, you ask them "do you want to go train". They probably say teh same thing.