Author Topic: What shoes should I wear for Parkour?  (Read 172126 times)

Offline philosophe

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: What shoes should I wear for Parkour?
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2007, 03:24:46 PM »
I used extensively worn down skate shoes for PK at first, they felt fine, they had no grip on the shoe, although i could grip better than others who had big grippy shoes somehow.

But I decided to buy some Nike Air Pegasus due to fear of getting knne/ankle problems from not having shock absorbing shoes. Firstly i felt like i was walking differently, everything felt too cushioned and i could walk alot more quieltly in my skate shoes. I tried doing all the things i usually did in my skate shoes.

I had less grip/found it alot harder to grip properly. Wall-runs were much harder. Balancing was badly effected due the all the grip on the underneath of the shoe.
 Landings felt slighlty heavier, didnt feel right, and also they sounded much heavier.
 When running on a treadmill, i felt that i was running differently, even the gym instructor said i was running wrongly. And ive never had problems with running properly.
 Overall i felt that i was restricted, and that i could not use my feet properly.

When i switched back to my tatty old skate shoes, i could balance no problem, felt like i was walking properly, my landings had to take a teeny while to adjust back to normal, and grip was a million times better. I think that grip is not too important on shoes (unless it is wet or something), and that its the way you use your feet that enables you to grip better.

Offline Cervias

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2007, 10:29:56 PM »
Ok I have a pair of Nike Shocks from playing basketball for school last year and didn't know if these would be any good for PK. Right now I'm using a pair of DC skate shoes but I can't seem to get a good grip on walls

Offline PD

• Patas
  • Tru Freedom
    • View Profile
    • Tempest Freerunning
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2007, 11:06:06 PM »
If you can find yourself a pair of 5.10 savants I would try those. 5.10's grip is very impressive and worth trying.
Follow your dreams

Offline PD

• Patas
  • Tru Freedom
    • View Profile
    • Tempest Freerunning
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2007, 11:15:15 PM »
I find that skate shoes don't give enough support and no where near the grip that you want.
Try out the shocks, they should have good cushioning. I had a friend that pked in nike shocks and they fell apart very easily, so watch out for that.

Follow your dreams

Offline Cervias

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2007, 11:20:28 PM »
haha ok thanks! I've been looking around the net at some Asics but they are a bit pricey... and the 5.10's are just a little cheaper... My sister is take me up to Fairview Heights tomorrow so she can get some shoes but I might look at some cross country shoes. do you think they would get mad if I tried them on and started vaulting some benches and try to run up the walls?

Offline Cervias

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2007, 11:40:14 PM »
ok, so I tried on the Shox and I'll test them out at the church tomorrow. I can't test them out right now cause its 2:30 in the morning and can't see anything outside...Just setting on my feet against the wall they seem really slippery, but its probably from not being worn for a while.

Offline littleboy PK

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2007, 11:26:06 AM »
You have my vote for the Saloman Xa 3D these shoes are comfortable hve good grip and are "hella sexy". ;)

Offline pete

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »
firstly, cheers boulder for the insight, i'd long forgotten that fact about grip.
secondly, what is the purpose of arch support? why would you need support for the arch of your foot?
we'd naturally have zero arch support so how come some shoes have it?

cheers, pete
its nice when people are nice...

Offline LiveToRun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2007, 01:49:55 PM »
Im so TORN!!
which to get..

Nike Pegasus
--or--
La sportiva 522 Fireblade
--or--
merrell chameleon slam II

Can someone give me info about them.. plz tell me all you know. As in where to get, which is best and all the specs you can think of. Thx so much.,

Offline Cervias

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2007, 03:28:11 PM »
Well there are many posts about each shoe. Best thing to do to get alot of people's opinion on each shoe would be search for each shoe and read each post about it  ;D Mostly its going to count on which feels best for you. For instance, I wear nothing but skate shoes so if someone handed me a good pair of running shoes that would technically be twice as good in every aspect compared to a skate shoe, I would do better in the skateshoes because thats what I wear day to day and I'm used to doing things in them.  You can read about the shoes all you want but you won't know if they are good for you until you wear them and geta  good feel of them.

Offline philosophe

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2007, 05:42:44 PM »
Heh. I just bought these: http://www.evolvesports.com/PSYCHE.htm. You can't beat $19 shoes with climbing rubber, especially since I'm just starting out. Evolv is a really good climbing shoe manufacturer, too, quite reputable.

Offline LiveToRun

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2007, 07:18:29 PM »
ok guys a quick question. ima go pick up a pair of new shoes, and i need to know what size would be better. Im between a 10.5 and 11 . Should i get the slightly tigher 10.5's or the slightly looser 11.  i would think that 10.5s would be better for parkour, but those 11's would be more relaxing. Idk, any suggestions on what would get me longest and best parkour experiance and enjoyment?

Offline Blarg

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My 'Space
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2007, 12:10:11 PM »
I have recently bought a pair of Nike Air Tri-Vis. Are they any good?
AIM me if you're near Chester, VA n wanna train...
Me: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/the_blarg_ninja/100_2701.jpg
Now stop asking.

Offline Blarg

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My 'Space
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2007, 12:10:43 PM »
I have recently bought a pair of Nike Air Tri-Vis. Are they any good?
AIM me if you're near Chester, VA n wanna train...
Me: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/the_blarg_ninja/100_2701.jpg
Now stop asking.

Offline philosophe

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2007, 03:28:04 PM »
Heh. I just bought these: http://www.evolvesports.com/PSYCHE.htm. You can't beat $19 shoes with climbing rubber, especially since I'm just starting out. Evolv is a really good climbing shoe manufacturer, too, quite reputable.

arrrgh they just called me and told me that they're out.  :-[ poopy.

Moa

« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2007, 10:23:02 AM »
Im so TORN!!
which to get..

Nike Pegasus
--or--
La sportiva 522 Fireblade
--or--
merrell chameleon slam II

Can someone give me info about them.. plz tell me all you know. As in where to get, which is best and all the specs you can think of. Thx so much.,

Go pegasus they are all around the best shoe of the ones you are considering. Or fireblade, if you are new dont get chameleons it will be hard to do alot of movements with them for you.

As for me birkenstock sandals all the way. even though i have worn them down so much from wall runs if you are looking for a challenge

Offline naroz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2007, 06:36:12 PM »
the Pegasus' are nice, but I found them too cushy. currently i don asics gel trail attack 3's. they have great arch support, ample cushioning and grip that gets better with wear(haha)

I recommend Asics and New Balance. New Balance have some amazing products. The M873 and the M1000(Pegasus killer)
Being 'as good as you can get' means you never stop learning.

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2007, 10:05:03 AM »
i dont care what you think the best shoes out there are the puma roma.   the sole is about 1mm thick the grip is horrific in a bad way and they get dirty fast  i love um.  my shoes are just about the closest thing to bare foot as you get  its also nice because after you ware them for a moth or so they get nice little holes all over them so your feet can breath well.     
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline PK1292

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2007, 08:07:16 PM »
Ok i just bought the Nike Free Trainer 7.0v2. Tell me wut u think there on Nike.com i really like them i pimped them out they look pretty nice but i wont get them fr 22 to 30 days cuz of my pimping :'( but i think the wait is worth it well tell me wut you guys think...

Offline PK1292

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2007, 08:38:21 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
UHH scratch that they ran out or something well anyways i got the Nike Hurrache There basketball shoes but the grip is awesome and the shoe in its entirety is very durable