Author Topic: What shoes should I wear for Parkour?  (Read 165889 times)

Offline Klon Re

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: What shoes should I wear for Parkour?
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2006, 07:06:54 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll take it all into consideration and dicide tomorrow, cuase the rubber sole on the shoes I have now is hanging on by a thread (litterally, the whole rubber sole is peeling off and the only part that is still connected to the shoes is where it goes over the front of my toes. The rest is dangling there, barealy hanging on. ;D) So I have to get the new ones tomorrow. lol

Offline Parkourndreams

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2006, 06:19:12 AM »
I wear Aisics Onitsuka Tigers ~~~> very light, very comfy, durable....

Offline PKintermediate

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2006, 12:55:13 PM »
Ok, I haven't really tried these shoes yet, but they are Nike Trail Running shoes called, "Air Alvortas" from the Alvord series. I'm about to be back in school, and I'll try them there. But all I can say right now is, I can move my carpet with these shoes. They are also comfortable. But you can not move these shoes unless you pick them up, or if they are on a smooth, or slick serfaces. But these shoes are the best I've ever seen. Well other then the "moving the carpet", all of this is in my opinion, so you may want to see if you like them before you buy them.
Well, I think I can do my landings and rolls right, I just need to combine them.

Do you live in a area close to tallahassee? Then we should run sometime.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2006, 08:46:59 PM »

Vasque Velocity shoes.

Great Support, Great Grip, Excellent Durablity (had them over a year and they haven't gotten worse). They're pretty light also.

thats what my shoes look like but mine are some off brand and they are the best shoes ever with added gel insoles :).
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Jonathan McCarver

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2006, 11:41:18 PM »
just bought the nike junga today. It is very nice and light also the padding is incredible withought slowing you down.  These add an inch to my vertical over my older and much heavier merrils.  The merrils are exelent too but much heavier.

http://niketown.nike.com/niketown/catalog/pdp.jsp?productId=108300&categoryId=52722&productGroup=108302&catalogId=1 to take a look.  I found them for 90 in store so dont pay more than that.

I'm so unorigional

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2006, 01:40:49 PM »

The one I use.
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline nymbis

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2006, 07:42:06 PM »
Right now, Im using two shoes: Merrel Stretchs - Great for grip and the weight really isnt bad and then I also use Saccony cross country shoes. But Klon Re on those Brooks.... I used those two years ago for Hurdles in track and they hold up quite well except I found the toe area to be HUGe which bugged me. But all in alll, they are a decent shoe.

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2006, 09:14:29 AM »

The one I use.

which model are those?
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline parkourkid

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2006, 05:25:36 PM »
i just got new asic sidewinders and i was wondering are they any good for parkour ???

Offline NathanE

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2006, 10:04:49 AM »
heh I use some older new balance shoes or my old work boots with thick wool socks. the socks give me extra cusioning and the boots can stand up to the need to be able to take impact fromt he enviroments.... But if your on like the fake plastic floors and have freash mud you might slip a little XD
I see no reason to try and impress you, But I will impress myself.

Pain may be weakness leaving the body but it sure hurts.

Offline parkourkid

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2006, 04:50:35 PM »
how expensive are the Solamon XA pro 2

Offline Aperion89

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2007, 09:50:04 PM »
um any recomdations for a size 12 wide that isn't teribbly expensive like under the pegasus' $80.00 price tag
any suggestions would be appreciated.
"Please stand by"

Offline pete

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2007, 06:25:45 AM »
I think we should try to make beginners (actually everyone really) read these articles on shoes
http://www.quickswood.com/my_weblog/2006/08/athletic_footwe.html#more

http://tullyrunners.com/Articles/RaucciArticle.htm

then people may get a better idea of what is best for their feet, and actually landing softly, not just relying on shock absorbing shoes when really they are landing more heavily than they should.

note: read these articles when you have some spare time as they are quite lengthly.
its nice when people are nice...

Offline pete

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2007, 06:45:51 AM »
I used extensively worn down skate shoes for PK at first, they felt fine, they had no grip on the shoe, although i could grip better than others who had big grippy shoes somehow.

But I decided to buy some Nike Air Pegasus due to fear of getting knne/ankle problems from not having shock absorbing shoes. Firstly i felt like i was walking differently, everything felt too cushioned and i could walk alot more quieltly in my skate shoes. I tried doing all the things i usually did in my skate shoes.

I had less grip/found it alot harder to grip properly. Wall-runs were much harder. Balancing was badly effected due the all the grip on the underneath of the shoe.
 Landings felt slighlty heavier, didnt feel right, and also they sounded much heavier.
 When running on a treadmill, i felt that i was running differently, even the gym instructor said i was running wrongly. And ive never had problems with running properly.
 Overall i felt that i was restricted, and that i could not use my feet properly.

When i switched back to my tatty old skate shoes, i could balance no problem, felt like i was walking properly, my landings had to take a teeny while to adjust back to normal, and grip was a million times better. I think that grip is not too important on shoes (unless it is wet or something), and that its the way you use your feet that enables you to grip better.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2007, 11:41:51 PM »
My favorite parkour shoes right now are merrell water pro trail shoes
The grip is descent though nothing compared to 5.10 or la sportiva, it is good enough in dry conditions. The thing I like about them is the feel flexibility and lightness of them I feel very similar to barefoot with just enough protection from scrapes and bumps. When I first got them it hurt my feet to take impacts in them however since I started training barefoot they are fine and I have begun to really question weather significant shock absorption is a positive thing in parkour shoes, I have found that the chondromalacia in my knee is not irritated training barefoot or in the water pro's while a short sessions in padded shoes leaves my knee's aching. I think if the impact is to much for your feet to handle then without padding then its to much for your knees to take at all.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline jamminb0111

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2007, 08:36:16 PM »
eig s i am really new young and running on a low budget do you have anything in mid in youth sizes cheap and long lasting i don't mind any other drawbacks

Offline pete

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2007, 06:59:16 AM »
jamminb0111 - not the best of things but maybe try some cheap skate shoes or something simlair? skate shoes are ok as they are made to withstand being raked across sandpaper so they work quite well on the durable part,and dont have a ridiculous amount of shock absorption which you would know you dont need if you read the two articles i suggested on one of my previous posts.

Offline hcarlson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2007, 08:08:22 PM »
skate shoes are extremely durable, don't get me wrong...but their shock cushion is minimal, sole is too soft, support is next to none, and they come off real easily.

TO ALL: 5.10 SAVANT'S ARE THE WAY TO GO. extremely sticky climbing rubber, lightweight, very breathable, durability unmatched (made for climbing approach and light hiking), cushioning very good, wide and nearly flat sole, support unbelievable. this is the most advanced shoe available for parkour, i think. rumor has it that 5.10 is making a new parkour-specific shoe. i highly highly recommend them. they will last a long time, so the 75 bucks is well worh it.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline squar3d

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2007, 05:37:45 PM »
So a couple months back i got a pair of Nike Free's5.0 (v2) and they were wonderful at first. There are some things i've learned tho.
-First, they are extremely light, and flexibly, so easy to move in them like a ninja
-Second, they are very grippy, sticking to walls is no problem at all, because they are so flexible it's so easy to grip and climb.
-Third, (some problems) there is no heel cup just this meshy stuff, so when you move laterally your heel could slip off the shoe. Which is very dangerous cuz you can roll your ankle. I got out of a fountain (long story) and sprained my ankle- in crutches for a week and a half. Then in like the past 2 weeks i rolled my other ankle twice, (but much minor). See what happens is the shoes are very grippy, and so when you plant your foot the shoe stays, but then your ankle can slide off and then your roll.
-Fourth, (a little more problems) there is hardly any cushioning, so when you jump your landings have to be perfect, cuz you sure feel it when they aren't.
-Fifth, These things wear out fast, 1 pair for 5 months
---So i really like these shoes, but the whole rolling of my foot really bothers me. I think im going to try their Nike free 7.0 trainer , because it has a lot more lateral support

Offline philosophe

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2007, 03:23:32 PM »
I used extensively worn down skate shoes for PK at first, they felt fine, they had no grip on the shoe, although i could grip better than others who had big grippy shoes somehow.

But I decided to buy some Nike Air Pegasus due to fear of getting knne/ankle problems from not having shock absorbing shoes. Firstly i felt like i was walking differently, everything felt too cushioned and i could walk alot more quieltly in my skate shoes. I tried doing all the things i usually did in my skate shoes.

I had less grip/found it alot harder to grip properly. Wall-runs were much harder. Balancing was badly effected due the all the grip on the underneath of the shoe.
 Landings felt slighlty heavier, didnt feel right, and also they sounded much heavier.
 When running on a treadmill, i felt that i was running differently, even the gym instructor said i was running wrongly. And ive never had problems with running properly.
 Overall i felt that i was restricted, and that i could not use my feet properly.

When i switched back to my tatty old skate shoes, i could balance no problem, felt like i was walking properly, my landings had to take a teeny while to adjust back to normal, and grip was a million times better. I think that grip is not too important on shoes (unless it is wet or something), and that its the way you use your feet that enables you to grip better.

On concrete, the grip of a shoe is based on the kind of rubber it has and the amount of rubber it can put on the ground. In the dirt, points and lugs in the tread will dig into the dirt and give you better traction but on hard smooth ground they will prevent you from putting rubber on the ground. More surface contact=more friction=more grip. This is why I don't think trail runners would make optimum parkour shoes, because they tend to have more lugs for grip on dirt. That is also why your worn down skate shoes gave you more grip, it's because you were able to put more rubber onto the wall. Keep this in mind when looking at shoes. Flatter tread will give you more friction.