Author Topic: What shoes should I wear for Parkour?  (Read 138278 times)

Offline Polecat

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: What shoes should I wear for Parkour?
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 09:21:10 AM »
Ok, first post here, I'd like to make it a good one.

I have an interesting condition going on with my body, specifically, my feet. My left foot is about two sizes (US) larger than my right foot. That's about a 9 and a 7. Now, I have three options:

1. Buy two pairs of the same shoe (Mix n' Match)
2. Buy one pair, but swap them out in the boxes (Stealing? Kind of....)
3. Wear hi-tops (so the right foot doesn't slip out of the larger shoe, but the extra room is.... difficult)

As of recent, I've been praciticing with your standard Converse All-Stars, but they lack in.... just about every field with the exception of weight.

I also had an operation on the right foot a few years ago, and it now lacks a full 360 degree rotation. Up and down? Yes. Left and right? Not so much.

I need a shoe that can help me out with my situation. Any suggestions?

As I'm new to the sport myself so I wouldn't know, I think the biggest concern might be the price. It might be possible that the store will help you out with the size different.

My question is concerning price. Is there anything out there that is decent for under $40-50?

Offline BlackShadow

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 02:59:48 PM »
I use AND1 Stinger, they've last me for about a year of on and off roughness, mainly from basketball, and they're now only pealing the outside skin and the cloth underneath is in great shape and the soles are slowly pulling off, it is fixable. I bought them for 30 bucks they're worth between 50-60 though.

Brand new
Scale 1-10
General:
Durablity: 8-9
Weight= .5 LBS each

Grip: 9
Comfort: 8
Ankle Support: 7
Shock Absorbtion: 5
Breathablity: 5.6
Appearance: 7

Between 6-12 Months old

Scale 1-10

Grip: 8.90
Comfort: 7
Ankle Support: 5.5
Shock Absorbtion: 4.5
Breathabilty: 5
Appearance: 4.7
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 10:28:51 PM by BlackShadow »
Life is too short to dwell in the past. You need to push foward hard enough to be at your top when your old age lays you to eternal rest.

Offline Hybernianous

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2006, 07:46:20 AM »
Been looking at shoes and recommendations on various sites and here is what Ive come up with, the criteria being; 1) light, 2) cheap, 3) Style, 4) Cushion?, I initially thought I wanted a pair with lots of padding for landings however...

One PK site recommends the Pose method of running and Dr. Romanov recommends flat running shoes with little to no cushion such as racing flats.  His logic is that cushioning allows for the ankle to roll more and so there is more room for injury.  Seems like the same logic would follow for Jumping/landing. (Anyone?)

It seems in principal that these would work for PK as well, provided you could find some with good traction (I know Merrill came out with sprint shoes a few years back and I still have a pair though the tread is wearing thin.)  Also in this catagory would be trail runners except for the fact that they are not particularly flat.

What I've surmised as the top choices in PK seems to be are;

Asics Gel 2100,2200 series
Merrel Chameleon stretches, Slams?,or Ventilators
Nike Pegasus
Adidas Nova

Offline Thomas Edwards

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 11:02:35 AM »
so, i'm looking for a shoe that is nice to run in (nicer than merrel chameleon slams), and yet can grip a whole lot better than nike air pegasus.  would asics work out for this criteria?

Offline Myrrh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2006, 03:04:02 PM »
Conditioning vs Training

I'm in the conditioning stage of Parkour.  I'm working on the basics (jumps, rolls, vaults).  I run two miles three times a week among the other stuff-- stretches, flexes, etc.  I run in New Balance shoes, but I want to get some Asics Gels.  Do you guys just use one pair of shoes for everything, or do you have 'Parkour shoes' and a pair of 'running shoes' to wear out on runs? 

It probably doesn't matter, but it would be cheaper not to wear out my shoes when I'm not really doing anything except running.
Throw in sand from no man's land and I'll show you more of my cards.

Offline Alan Burgess

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2006, 01:36:51 PM »
Asic Gels what are the cost again cuz i heard that they are like 130 near where i live.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
- Henry Ford
Perfection is a continual state of improvement.
- Me

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2006, 05:59:15 PM »
I totally recommend asics gels I have a pair and they are awesome great grip shock absorption haven't had them for that long but they seem like they will lasta  while

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 06:56:23 AM »
Ok guys, I have tried many different kinds of shoes from merrals, to I paths (lol), and they all seemed to be just ok, in the past couple years of pk. One day I forgot my shoes at home when I was going to West Virginia for family and parkour (I was wearing sandles). When I got there I was bummed but decided to just go buy a cheep pair of shoes from the small store down the street. I got a pair of Champions and they turned out to be the best shoes for parkour I have ever had. The grip is amazing and they are very comfy. The thing is that all payless stores have them from what was told and if they wear out I could just buy another pair for 15 dollers. It has been 5 months and they are still in good condition, I did have a broken arm for a month and that did ration my parkour. Overall I was very surprised. When I got home I put Adio shock absorbant Impact insoles in them and now they are perfect. If you really want to see what I mean go to payless and look for a shoe with crazy grip on the bottem with the brand name champion, they are running shoes.
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 08:47:30 AM »
I haven't actually bought them yet but i will. They are the newbalance975's. They are very light and what is cool is that they have vent's in the bottoms of the shoes. It is worth at least trying them on. They are about $89 from foot locker but they are cheaper online.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 10:31:57 AM »
Merrell Chameleon II Stretch. These complelty rock and the weight doesn't bother me at all because it is just so comfortable with my Polysorb insoles. I'd recommend these to anyone who don't mind a little extra weight.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Casper

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2006, 12:15:06 PM »
I've been practicing PK in my cross country shoes, Asics Gel Kayanos. They're just about the best training shoe money can buy, and they've held up decently in PK. The rubber on the bottom is starting to come loose in one place, probably from tic-tacking, but that's about it. The grip isn't excellent, but they are a good beginner shoe with great support all around. They are somewhat pricey, however, mine were $130.
Stairs are for Squares.

You can hide, but you can't run!

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2006, 08:53:25 PM »
This is mostly personal choice here. If people would post the stats of their shoes in the consumer whores section then poeple would check the shoes out and maybe make an informed decision.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline NC

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2006, 10:14:44 PM »
I just bought a pair of New Balance 643's.  A running shoe.  I'll let everyone know what I think about them.
PK 4 LIFE!

Offline BlackShadow

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2006, 12:04:08 AM »
Here is the Ultamite Parkour shoe, it is made by Adidas and is specificly designed FOR Parkour/Freerunning. One catch is it is sold in Europe only, but it is worth looking at. Maybe it might be possable to get it over here to, but that might belong in a diff. thread.

Well here is the link, I'm sure you can find your way around. :) 
 http://www.flyfree-forever.com/content/language_launch.html

There IS a pair of shoes made by Adidas called Gigaride that can be bought online. They are close to the Hyperride but don't have AS great a cool effect compared to the Hyperride.

Here is a link to a store that, I HAVE NOT tried it myself, will give a look at the Gigaride.
http://www.zappos.com/n/bs?q=gigaride

BlackShadow
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:07:16 AM by BlackShadow »
Life is too short to dwell in the past. You need to push foward hard enough to be at your top when your old age lays you to eternal rest.

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 10:16:40 AM »
Actually all accounts I've heard say those are garbage for parkour. I just bought the Nike Pegasus shoes and they are absolutly amazing, exaclty what I was looking for, highly recomended.
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Klon Re

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2006, 05:07:39 PM »
I need some more advice on which shoe I should buy. I went to a store and the guy told me to walk around so he could see what shoes is best. The results of that combined with what I said I would do with the shoe gave me this: http://www.brooksrunning.com/prod.php?p=BSI41166&k=23645 . I tried it on and I liked the feel. It had very good toe coushioning and staybility. What do you guys think?

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 05:20:26 PM »
Looks good to me. The issue I can see is it looks like there could possibly be plastic on the sole, and some people don't like that because they could slip of rail precisions. Personally, I never land on that part of my foot, and you have the most control by landing on the ball of your foot. The other issue is the grip seems to be in many parts, this could lead to premature tearing of the sole.

Offline Klon Re

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 07:15:29 PM »
Looks good to me. The issue I can see is it looks like there could possibly be plastic on the sole, and some people don't like that because they could slip of rail precisions. Personally, I never land on that part of my foot, and you have the most control by landing on the ball of your foot. The other issue is the grip seems to be in many parts, this could lead to premature tearing of the sole.
Yeah I see what you mean...do you think I should try find somthing different (what do you wear?) or do you think I should just go for it?

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2006, 02:26:40 PM »
If you scroll up a couple posts you'll see that I recomend the nike pegasus, thats what I wear. They are really great shoes but the tread is such that some of the nubbons might come off. This happened to me recently but a spot of super glue will get you back to perfesct shape in 30 seconds. Worth it I think for the feel of those shoes. However, if those brooks feel good to you, go for 'em, they look just fine!

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2006, 03:11:18 PM »

Vasque Velocity shoes.

Great Support, Great Grip, Excellent Durablity (had them over a year and they haven't gotten worse). They're pretty light also.
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime