Author Topic: knee protection?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline yougotkicked

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
knee protection?
« on: June 27, 2009, 10:47:02 PM »
     as i have been practicing over the past few days i have scraped my knee's up a little, this alone isn't really bothering me much, but earlier today while trying to do a kong over a park bench i slammed both my knees into the table and left two nicely spaced 1.5" long blood stains on the table for someone to find tomorrow (the wood just sucked the blood right up, it was kind of weird).  the pain was bad enough that i couldn't bend my knees to make another attempt and it was already 11:00 at night so i decided to call it quits and walked home.

i don't mind getting bruised and bloodied for a sport (try taking 2nd place in the city wide karate championships when your knee hurts so bad you wonder if you shouldn't be at a hospital, and your entire style is known for it's low stances).  but ideally i would like to cope with the pain while perfecting a move, not when i am just starting to learn it, i need more that one or two attempts a night to learn something like this.

so i have been trying to think of a good way to protect my knee's while trying new moves, but so far i have been unable to find something that would work well without restricting the freedom of my knee's during practice.  i would need something wide enough that it would catch the blow instead of just shifting it to another part of my knee, has enough padding that it can cushion an impact like i mentioned before (i'm no lightweight either, i weight in at almost 210; mostly muscle muscle mass built up around my legs from karate, but i do have a moderate amount of "padding" i plan to loose this summer), and would not impede my ability to bend at the knee.

i can't just wear sweat pants because they wouldn't have quite enough padding and the past few days have been at least 95*f out during the day.  and if at all possible i would like something that i would be able to wear frequently (ie: doesn't need to be adjusted frequently or take long to put on) because i am rather concerned for my right knee in terms of more serious injury.  i have messed it up a few times to the point where i was on the couch for a good two weeks (reason my knee hurt at that tournament, slipped the landing on a 360* jump kick and my knee hit HARD, the tournament was 5 days later and it was still bad enough that i could only manage 2nd place XD ).  running and jumping doesn't seem to bother it, but whenever it gets a good bang it acts up bad enough to make training VERY uncomfortable.

i may be asking too much for simple protective padding, but i hope someone out there has a good idea what i'm looking for and can help me, as i really don't want to land myself on the couch just while i was getting started.
yes, your forum did just get a new troll, but in a good way :)

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
Re: knee protection?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:44:55 AM »
my suggestion is just train in the gym in a safer environment until you get your form right.
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline yougotkicked

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:16:20 AM »
      hmm, i don't really have access to a good gym area to practice in, i'll try and find something to practice on that would allow me to avoid knee injury and i'll keep my eyes peeled for something to protect my right knee should i find it necessary to give it extra padding for my daily practicing.

thanks for your thoughts.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:13:01 AM »
you need to focus more, you need to know exactly what your body is doing when you are first learning. thats the only way you will be able to take away from the experience.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline yougotkicked

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 11:50:22 AM »
     i definetly agree with you,  last night i made a ton of headway by really breaking down the moves as far as i could.  i managed my first roll on concrete withour a scratch and realized something new about my body; i cannot touch the palms of my hands to the ground when i have my legs between them (if all my weight is on my feet that is).  so if i ever hope to do a kong i'll really need to work on my techique and arm strength.

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 01:29:20 PM »
yes but technically, if you are performing the move correctly, your feet should never come even close to the obstacle.  usually it means that you are not leaning forward enough, because by the time your body passes over in a kong, your hands have already come off the obstacle, and thus, your legs never pass through your arms.
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline yougotkicked

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 11:04:34 PM »
    thanks for the tip, i realized that you pushed off with your arms before your legs came through but i wasn't aware of how much of a difference it was supposed to make. i'll take this into consideration when i practice next.