Author Topic: Another Vid  (Read 7342 times)

Offline Speeditup

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
Another Vid
« on: July 04, 2006, 04:14:07 PM »
here is another vid from us, its cleaned up a little, http://youtube.com/watch?v=EOGA2Go0Fq8

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Re: Another Vid
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 04:41:53 PM »
I am glad you guys found parkour and seem to be super enthusiastic about it. However, I am going to give you a little advice which I hope you will consider.

Your basics are very poor. Your landings and rolls are worse. You guys are damaging your bodies by doing all these jumps, vaults, and flips with such poor form. Sooner or later, you will get injured, and in the long term, if you dont improve the basics, you will eventually incurr more injuries.

So here is my advice. Put the camera away and save the next video for a few months down the road. Instead, focus on mastering your basics so that you can continue to do parkour for a long time. Your landings on basic jumps need work, let alone your vaults and flips. Practice your technique on ground level and once you have it mastered, you can then advance to taller obstacles and acrobatics.

Offline Speeditup

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 05:33:45 PM »
I totally understand that our rolls need major improvement, also our frontflips arent that great but everything else is pretty solid, everything can use tweaks and thats why we've been training almost everyday, so i see where your coming from and i'll watch out for what we do, not doing anything too extreme but the camera is for showing of improvement, we make a movie, show it to people and people point out what we can work on, but thnx for the help

Offline houston

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 05:45:49 PM »
i think you dont need to work on the back flips or front flips
they aren't parkour
but if  your doing them for fun thats  cool

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 06:18:11 PM »
Ok, since you seem to think most of it is pretty solid and you want constructive criticism, here goes...

0:00-1:03 - this intro took way too long, i fast forwarded through it all.
1:07 - ouch, looked like your knees almost snapped on that jump. if you cant jump that high cleanly, roll or plant onto it or something.
1:18 - really bad landing.
1:24 - bad roll
1:26 - sloooooow climb up. dont use your knees unless you enjoy long term bruising and calcium deposits.
1:31 - bad rolls
1:47 - 1 foot jump would be faster
1:49 - slow climbs, why are you walking afterwards? keep running after everything in your video and it will look much better.
1:54 - im not even sure what that was but the landing tells me you cant handle it.
on backflips you need to jump higher before you start your rotation. you also need to tuck or at least hold a tighter air posture.
2:19 - flailing around in the air and terrible landings. you guys arent ready for these drops.
2:26 - you all need much improvement on form and landing.
2:29 - reach farther over the table and the vault will be easier. land 1 foot at a time and continue running in stride.
the flips are really bad. most them arent even done straight over. need to work on the jump, height, tuck, and landings.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 07:04:33 PM »
some people follow the meter rule  but it is pretty strict. how bout you guys dont jump anything over your head height for the first year. that will get your body conditioned and ready for higher. train ground level moves, they are what will most likely be used most in a real situation.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 07:10:30 PM »
Demon knows his stuff guys.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Speeditup

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 07:11:36 PM »
on ur 2 29, that is a kash vault so theres nothing wrong with the vault, and the flips are getting better as we do them more and more improving along the way, i actually just learned how to do it saturday but i can improve, and like i said before the rolls are in need of improvement which is the goal of tommorws training session, thnx for the help guys, and if it seems like im being an ass, im not

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 07:57:14 PM »
no worries man, we are all here to help each other. good to see you being open minded to constructive criticism. it is a great way to improve.

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 09:00:12 PM »
I would reccomend investing in some running shoes. It looked like you guys were running around in skate shoes. The flat soles are ment for skating, not running and they force you to take a different stride. It will be very beneficial especially at your age to get some running shoes and wear them all the time. I wore skate shoes for 4 or 5 years and doing so seems to have really f#cked with my stride, both my walking gait and running. If you we're wearing skate shoes, then ignore all this rambling but if you were please heed the advice of someone who would do things differently had he been fortunate enough to recieve this advice years ago.

As far as the vid is concerned, I would work on a lot of strength and conditioning as well as technique drilling for the time being (more advice I wish I had heeded a few years back)
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Speeditup

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 07:39:33 AM »
Well, me with the backwards texas longhorns hat, i was using my mizunas, so they dont screw me up, but yea my friends need to get some running shoes

Offline michiganparkour

• Patas
  • WHAAAAAAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 11:45:26 AM »
i have one thing to say.....FLIPS ARE NOT PARKOUR
Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Subliminal

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 02:55:06 PM »
dude parkour is just a way to get from one place to another besides walking or driving or what ever. Some people will go from there house in the city to the store by going threw allys or up fire escapes or threw the park and will jump ledge to ledge or percision jump and crap like that. So if they decide that they want to flip then thats there form of parkour. some people do parkour as a form of a sport or a way to exercise so they can flip if they want. like i said parkour dosn't have rules u can do what ever you want. So leave them alone

P.S. good job guys

~Jon~
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 03:07:01 PM by Subliminal »

Subliminal

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 03:05:45 PM »
O yea P.S. to my last message im one of the overlords for AIR 21 crew. Dude just lay off you do what u want and we'll do what we want. Plus how do we know what is and isn't parkour theres no rule book and we've only been doing it for half a month so what ever. If one of thoes russian guys tells us that then yea we wont consider it parkour but hearing it from you is not even close to being enough to get us to reconsider. So until you can match up to thoes russians dont be going around tell people what is and isn't parkour because the fact is you dont even know every thing there is to know so lay off.

~Jon~

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 03:08:42 PM »
Go easy on him guys, they don't come much more ignorant than this. ::)

Offline Valigon

• Patas
  • Death to those who oppose me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 03:23:54 PM »
as for you saying that flips are pakour...... and that you would listen to the russian dudse.... well i cant get you them but i can get you David Belle, and since he IS OUR FOUNDER, i think he has more say then the russian dudes about what is and isnt parkour, here is a link to a vid of him and hes talking it is translated. watch from 1:15-1:20

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1996675427048738448

Offline Eric Kropp

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 03:40:10 PM »
O yea P.S. to my last message im one of the overlords for AIR 21 crew. Dude just lay off you do what u want and we'll do what we want. Plus how do we know what is and isn't parkour theres no rule book and we've only been doing it for half a month so what ever. If one of thoes russian guys tells us that then yea we wont consider it parkour but hearing it from you is not even close to being enough to get us to reconsider. So until you can match up to thoes russians dont be going around tell people what is and isn't parkour because the fact is you dont even know every thing there is to know so lay off.

~Jon~
In what way will a flip help you move from point A to point B efficiently?  Say you were being chased by someone, you wouldn't get up on a picnic table and do a backflip.

Offline Speeditup

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 04:30:32 PM »
Alright everyone just lay off, i completely understand that flips are not parkour, ive seen the video many times, i just learned flips about 6 or 7 days ago and thought it would be cool to put it in our movies to add some spice, yea i understand it does look excesive and i also understand that we shouldnt put flips in at all to let alone call it parkour, so we are gonna lay off of doing the flips in our movies and more focused on the training that parkour gives us, we've been looking at some of demon's tutorials which are great btw and they are a help to us improve upond just about everything.

Offline Valigon

• Patas
  • Death to those who oppose me
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 07:20:02 PM »
didnt mean to make you feel bad, just wanted to point out that you cant call something parkour because you can use it to get somewhere... though if you feel you want to have a few flips in your vids, go for it, they look cool and it is your vid after all... as for demons drills i would worship them.... wait i already do.....
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 07:22:09 PM by Valigon »

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 06:29:09 AM »
Directed at Speeditup-
Oh...my gosh.  Demon.  I am going to take your advise and go easy.  But Seriously...I had been practicing the philosophy for about 1 month and realized that flips are not parkour.  I didnt even do that much reading and training at the beginning...THERE IS ONLY ONE FORM OF PARKOUR!!!!  What they were doing in the video was REALLY bad Free Running.

Rest of Crew-
Mostly everthing has been said to you guys already about the video but seriously...If you keep hyperflexing your knees (bending past 90*) your knees are going to explode.  PLEASE practice that in your next training session.  You guys, Seriously have a lot of potential!!!  Just please practice safty first off PLEASE.  With you guys if you all went to an open gym or something you would all your back tucks 20$ and 1 hour later.  I hope that you guys atleast know that Flips are not parkour.  But of course you have to know that already.

Oh and Air 21 Crew.  There is NOTHING wrong with doing flips.  You learn and grow on those SERIOUSLY!  Just dont call it parkour.  And the person who hosted it never called it parkour so you guys are in the RED!! :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 06:35:32 AM by Matthew Lee Willis »
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging