Author Topic: Idea - COPK Statewide video  (Read 6465 times)

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Idea - COPK Statewide video
« on: July 03, 2006, 10:08:55 AM »
I had an idea yesterday to make a COPK state wide video. The point of this video would be to show how strong and big our scene is as well as the great parkour locations we have all around the state.

This video would be a little similar to the parkour connection video. Each segment would have like 10 or 15 sec. and then it would somehow transfer to another segment from somewhere else in the state. For example, in the parkour connection video, someone loses a wallet and traceurs work together to get it back, at the start of each segment they catch the wallet and at the end, they throw it. The next person catches it and so on. Obviously I dont want to use the same idea but you get the point. Any ideas for a cool theme to make the transitions?

I would love to help everyone shoot these segments and then I would edit the video together.

What do you guys think of the idea? If you like the idea, try to offer ideas and suggestions instead of just saying "sounds cool" or something.

Offline Berkut

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • All roads lead to Cat Fountain.
    • View Profile
Re: Idea - COPK Statewide video
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 12:17:00 PM »
Well, I think I see what you're wanting to pull off...At one time I had a similar idea in mind for a four or five minute video with my local team where we would do an extended run through the City of Centennial which would eventually end up at the Littleton Light Rail Station. After a small segment of the ride, we were going to exit the Light Rail and do a run down the 16th Street Mall, turn up through the Qwest Building, and then eventually coming to a stop at Skyline Park.

This would cover a much smaller area and participation than I think what you're shooting for Demon, but I think it's a similar concept; the idea of going from area to area to show just how far Parkour reaches in Colorado, or in my teams case, Denver and its suburbs.

I think its a great idea, definately. I even think that the wallet idea would be a fairly strong concept, by kind of signifying the strength and dedication of the Parkour community in the state.

Perhaps another transition theme could be a kind of "convergence" to Skyline Park or Red Rocks, both of which have struck me as the kind of "universal hotspots" for the state. Where you would show different crews (each of which could be buit specifically for the video) from around the state PK'ing in their own areas, but guving the impression of this rush to meet at one of the two hotspots, where eventually everyone will meet at the exact same time. There'd be a lot of management involved of course, but, it's an idea.

Offline Chris Cole

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 02:42:46 PM »
Dude, I think both ideas are excellent, especially the Centennial run. Although it would take soe time to plan, we could organise that pretty well. I know that area pretty well, and the Littleton LR Station would be an excellent place to transition into another video segment. I'm down with both ideas, and if anybody needs any suggestions, or ideas, let me know.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 02:56:53 PM »
good ideas but i dont know if the convergence one is realistic. I want to include people from all over the state and the logistics of getting every traceur in the state together just isnt gonna happen. we might be able to work some kind of ending shot into the big co jam though.

the locations are irrelevant because everyone will have their own locations to choose for their segment. like if you were in CO springs, I would hope you would represent your "home turf" instead of shooting in denver or something. there are good spots all over the state and that is one of the points of the video, to show a variety of traceurs, locations, styles, and more from all over the place.

let's keep brainstorming...

Offline Umbles

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 01:07:23 PM »
lol, i might have let my imagination go on this one, but how about someone in the hospital needs an antidote  :o, but the city is out of power and trafic is built up, so they cant use the trains or go by car, and its up to the traceurs of CO to get that antidote to the patient  8), have the person who needs it on either the far north or south side and then have the person with the antidote on the adjacent side, then have the scenes from all over CO of the people carrieing the antidote there  ;D... ok ya... that was a little 2 much.... ill keep thinking  ;D
He who fears death, Limits life.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 01:38:28 PM »
heh thats actually not bad. good creativity.

lets keep brainstorming!

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 09:49:50 AM »
one idea may be a little harder to carry though would be to have like a student have to turn in some papers by a certain time and they just pass it along

Offline soar

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 12:26:08 PM »
I like the idea of doing the wallet thing.  Not only would it be a huge boon to the people working the international project, but it would show the coolness of the CO scene to the larger community.

That said, I also like doing something different.  We could toss the idea around of adding or subtracting something from the carried item on each person's trip.  It's logistically more complicated, but would vary the theme.

One simple example of this would be needing to use a little money from the wallet each time.  We finally deliver it, get the big reward, and walk off.  The punchline is when the dude opens his wallet and finds it empty.  Or could be done with food, each person grabs a cookie from the bag & there's only 1 left at the end.

Something a little more complex would be to add something each time.  Using a variation of the Lawn Gnome/Rubber Ducky urban legend, we'd have a picture "taken" of some cool Pk move each segment.  At the end, the Gnome/Ducky is delivered with a stack of pictures, and the whole clip ends with a quick slide show of each of those pictures from each of the locations around the state.

One last idea, would be that we try to move some object from one place to another, but each Traceur keeps loosing it.  In each clip, a  Traceur finds the object but somehow looses it each time, the next segment's Traceur finds it, repeat.

One very last idea would be to do it like a Mentos commercial.  Does anybody remember these?  Lots of ideas could be run here, the whole thing ends with that big fresh Mentos grin and thumbs up to the nemesis.

Objects carried could be wallets, love letters, undetermined "merchandise", collecting litter (going after the dude responsible), school papers, an organ transplant, someone's lost pet (1st clip shows putting the pet in a backpack, the backpack is tossed between Traceur/clips, opened at the end and pet pops out), blueprints, good clothes for a special occasion (prom, wedding, graduation, barmitva), some food item, tape or record with music for some festival, guitar picks delivered to some famous guitarist, picnic stuff, etc etc etc.

Let the ideas flow...

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 01:23:36 PM »
I like how this is coming along

Nice to see everybody stepping in to make it happen

I'm still thinking

"In heaven, we'll all freerun with Jesus"
                           ..."His Kongs are off the hook!"

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 01:32:53 PM »
good idea, i am glad people are participating in the thought process.

i dont want to use the wallet idea because thats just copying what is already being done. we can do something more original than that.

i like the idea of having the traceur drop something and have the next person find it. that would be very easy to do and could be elaborated upon.

what are the old mentos commercials you are talking about soar?

an idea i just is to have it be centered around some sort of mural or puzzle type thing. Each person provides their own piece of the puzzle or picture to contribute to the end result. at the end everything is put together to make some sort of message or masterpiece.

one thing to keep in mind is that whatever it is shouldnt hinder our movement in any way. i want all of our best parkour from around the state to be shown in this video.

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 01:36:25 PM »
I like the idea of each piece adding on to the previous one

I'm searching my brain trying to find a good example of this, I just remember seeing similar themes in videos before (not exclusively pk, just videos in general) and thinking that the concept is really enjoyable to watch.

I recomend building more on that idea, it has potential
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 09:01:45 PM by Quazar »

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 05:23:13 PM »
wow dano you rock

Offline Umbles

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 09:05:52 PM »
damn, i really do have to agree, i like that pieces to the puzzle and a masterpiece in the end idea.... but wow is that hard to think of what object could be taken apart then put back together into one awsome piece. it cant be too big or else we couldnt run around with it...... hmmm... or maybe not a masterpiece but a working piece... ya know like a clock or maybe get some pieces of a radio, like batteries and an antenna, and such, and when you assemble it, a group of people listen in for said info they wanted to hear on time,... orrr ummm, i dunno, i cant think of anything.

Offline soar

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 09:36:14 PM »
If we choose carefully, it won't be a big deal if the added objects are actually too unweildy for a run.  Video game characters have a secret pocket where they put enough objects to fill a decent sized garage.  As long as its something innoccus enough, we can probably maintain suspension of disbelief enough to make it convincing.  Extra bonus points of we can actually add things and run and not cheat.  Now if we're all trying to get enough tires to fix up a semi that had it's wheel stolen, then we'll have problems.

Ooh, there's another idea if someone really likes video games and editing videos... tape everything and put some sort of video game overlay with points and suchlike.  Just an idea, there's no way I'd have time to put that much work into this project :)

For those that don't know what Mentos commercials are, you little scamps narrowly missed seeing some very brilliant and very very cheesy commercials.  Its best to see them, the descriptions pale to the reality.  But for what its worth: http://home.socal.rr.com/mentosfaq/commercial.html

As for the question of what to build, maybe brainstorm about something mundane that you never think of but can't live without (and can be segmented).  Or maybe something that can be segmented, like each person adding a bunch of weird clothing (leapord skin underwear, tiny spandex rhinestoned shirt, etc), turns out to be the costume for a rock star who gets it just in time to go on stage.

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 04:38:18 PM »
leopard skinned underwear?

I think were starting to get a little carried away here  ;)

Offline Captain Trips

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 09:18:54 AM »
Here's an idea. What if we did a sort of espionage theme. Where the video starts off with a Traceur copying information onto a CD. We then cut to him being chased and having to escape. As he progresses maybe he would have to throw the CD to another Traceur, and that would be where someone from another part of the city or state would take over and again we see him being chased, and so on and so forth until we can include people from all over the region.
Well that's the beginning of my idea anyway, I'm sure we could expand on it, and go from there. Maybe we could have it end up being that the information on the disc ends up actually being the movie B13 and our hero is trying to get it to a movie premier or something.
I refuse to tiptoe through life......only to arrive safely at death!

Offline Umbles

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 08:59:20 PM »
ya, that would be a good one, what should the CD contain? maybe a shoe  design for nike and aidia's is trying to get the info  8) we could have people in suits chasing us

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 06:12:28 AM »
I sport a pretty mean suit  ;)

Offline motreltets

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 11:14:01 AM »
i am for sure liking that idea, its better then anything i came up with, and a disc would be really easy to carry around...
If you aren't willing to give everything you have, dont bother showing up.

Offline Chris Cole

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 02:26:34 PM »
irony: the disc could be a rival parkour crew's video, or something, and we had to dispose of it, or even better, its the video that we did on the disc and we gotta take it to a publisher, or something, or gotta put it online. i love these ideas that we are coming up with, you guys are very creative and imaginative.