Author Topic: Training on your own, some tips?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline AetherFang

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Just keep on keepin on
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Training on your own, some tips?
« on: June 21, 2009, 07:50:42 AM »
So, I've been getting some conditioning done for parkour, but lately my motivation's been pretty low. This is mostly because I don't know anyone around that might even be interested in doing some training and stuff with me. I've asked a friend of mine if he might be interested, but he hasn't gotten back to me in a few days and I'm not feeling very hopeful about that. If that ends up falling through, I guess I could either just keep trying through the rest of the summer until I hit college.

What I'm asking for really would be some advice for training by yourself and staying motivated. I'm not the kind of person to get motivated easily though... But I do want to keep going. I suppose I could drive down the 3 hours to Philly if I really had to sometime over the summer, but it would be nice to have some traceurs close by.

Offline Luke Schaefer

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Training on your own, some tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 07:55:21 AM »
Well, I am a beginner myself, and am just starting to learn how to do stuff. I have done some conditioning for a little while now, and I find that whenever I get discouraged, watching videos of really good people is motivating. I am also in a situation like yours, I don't have any friends that would actually be serious about parkour. But, I continue to work out and train. Unfortunately, the past 2 weeks have been incredibly rainy, and I havn't been able to actually try anything out yet.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
sounds like your first plateau, think about why you train and why you want to. what is it bringing to your life?

and i mean really think, dont just spit back excuses you have heard over the time you have been involved. parkour is personal and your own expression.

so think deeply and you might find the answer you were looking for. lack of motivation usually comes from getting bored, add some new shit in. go out and play for a while and have some fun.

after you have some fun go back to work and conditioning, keep cycling through this and you should kick your motivation out pretty quick.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline AetherFang

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Just keep on keepin on
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:04:47 PM »
But, I continue to work out and train. Unfortunately, the past 2 weeks have been incredibly rainy, and I havn't been able to actually try anything out yet.

It's been pretty much the same way where I live. On and off pouring for the past week and a half to two weeks.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 06:31:20 PM »
But, I continue to work out and train. Unfortunately, the past 2 weeks have been incredibly rainy, and I havn't been able to actually try anything out yet.

It's been pretty much the same way where I live. On and off pouring for the past week and a half to two weeks.

One of the best days I've ever had training was at UC Santa Cruz, running through the campus and redwoods, chasing deer, vaulting, jumping, running, training HARD... in a constant heavy downpour.  So much fun!  My friends and I discovered that day that if you go barechested in the rain, you'll generate enough body heat to keep yourself dry and warm, as the water evaporates quickly off your skin, but if you keep your shirt on, it gets soaked and you get cold.  When it's cold: train.  When it's hot: train.  When it's overcast: train.  When it's raining: train.  Adapt to your environment, find what you can do safely in the current conditions and consider the weather just another challenge.

As far as training solo, I live about an hour away from the nearest more experienced traceurs.  When I started out, it was all solo training for a few months.  I worked hard and practiced what I could.  Networking online I eventually found another new person locally and we started training together, as well as driving out of town to find people. 

The bottom line is, if you want to, you will train.  Think about Max's questions, they're spot on (+1 Max).

I'd add the suggestion to go train somewhere you've never been before.

Also, places/groups/people who might be into PK, if you introduce 'em:
-Capoeira classes
-other martial arts
-gymnastics gyms
-track and field athletes
-Bboys (aka breakdancers)
-dancers (especially someone into Contact Improv)

Be creative with your own routine, and maybe reach out and make a new friend.  Use the nearest local PK forum, place a Craigslist add, tell all your friends about parkour, and no matter what keep training.

Or, give up.