Author Topic: The growth of an art  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
The growth of an art
« on: July 01, 2006, 04:55:36 PM »
Theres no doubt pk/freerunning is growing rapidly. Jump Britian wil be airing again which means there has been a bigger demand for it. Urbanfreeflow made a T.V. show for Mtv which will be realeased Oct. 12, 2006. Companies are making shoes with parkor/freerunning in mind. Events are bigger than ever with people traveling all over the world just to go. It makes me glad to know I started early because pk/freerunning is going to explode!
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
Re: The growth of an art
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 07:26:30 PM »
Ultimately, the discipline will be corrupted until none of the original intention exists at all anymore.  Parkour will become only a set of movements with no spirit nor philosophy behind it at all.  And standing tall and gloriously at the front will be Urban Freeflow, the wind of change.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 07:00:05 AM »
WOW! That was more deep than I expected.
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 09:27:29 AM »
Ultimately, the discipline will be corrupted until none of the original intention exists at all anymore.  Parkour will become only a set of movements with no spirit nor philosophy behind it at all.  And standing tall and gloriously at the front will be Urban Freeflow, the wind of change.

Y is ubanfreeflow trashed so much. I think what there doing is cool. You can make money travel around the world and stuff and still have the basic principals.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 12:06:43 PM »

Y is ubanfreeflow trashed so much. I think what there doing is cool. You can make money travel around the world and stuff and still have the basic principals.

Because they promote none of the original principles of Parkour.  I don't think anyone here has anything against making money.  The issue is, firstly, whether or not money is your primary concern (Parkour should be your primary concern, of course) and, secondly, whether or not you are promoting a philosophical and spiritual Parkour.  If you think about certain things that UF has done...  Well, let's look at the video game.  What's the purpose of a video game?  People will play the game and see nothing but inhuman stunts (and they really are inhuman since the game is not realistic AT ALL) and their impression of Parkour is that it is nothing but moves on obstacles either to look cool or just for sport.  Parkour is NOT just a set of movements; it is an idea and a discipline (albiet incomplete).  Movement without spirit is nothing.  UF lack that spirit.  You also see UF selling their name to ANYTHING willing to buy it without even considering what it could mean to Parkour as a whole.  Again, nothing wrong with making money, but you have to consider what a company wants with PK.  Just like you have to be careful about being involved with certain medias that want to cover Parkour in case they spread a detrimental message.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 01:30:40 PM »
But of course, we only assume we know what UF's intentions are, based on past happenings. They havent outright said that they are only interested in making money, but it sure seems like it. Its somewhat unfair to just sit back and accuse without really knowing whats going on.

Now, im not defending UF by any means. I dont approve of where they are taking it, because it seems like money is the only motive. everything theyve done in the past year or so was for profit. thats great and all, but it really needs to be balanced out with some protection of the name of the art that is making them all this money, and that is what is lacking.

Yes, it is growing. This is great for people who put so much time and money into spreading parkour around, without asking for a dime back (cough M2 cough), because pretty soon if money was the main drive for the leading promoters of parkour, then kids will be looking up to these figures because they want sponsorships, money, and fame. just like skateboarding, i know very few kids that are driven SOLELY by the fact that its a fun thing to go out and do, rather, they cant wait to be making as much money as Bam Margera. continue to spread parkour by giving it credentials for being Fun, exciting, and physically demanding, rather than making it out to be a money-maker.

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 02:10:07 PM »
I think im going to bust out the old karma system for that post skipper. +1

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 05:32:28 AM »
Ok I get it know, but can somone tell me why I Have a -1  :'( . I hate it when people do that and don't tell me.

Offline Valigon

• Patas
  • Death to those who oppose me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 12:07:39 AM »
I for one am seeing the decline of parkour first hand. all of the people that i practice with now are more intrested in the moves, and making videos, and making things look really really cool... and the end product is this mediocore film of really crappy moves