Author Topic: Monkey-Kong  (Read 4336 times)

Offline David M.

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Awesome
    • View Profile
Monkey-Kong
« on: June 13, 2009, 06:31:24 PM »
At what point does a monkey become a kong? Just wondering.
Quote from: Jim Wendler
Is what I'm doing awesome? If I ask myself that and the answer is no, then I don't do it

Offline Pave_the_Planet

• Guenons
  • Spread my wings like a condor
    • View Profile
Re: Monkey-Kong
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 07:12:51 PM »
When there is some sort of "dive" involved in the beginning. And your hands leave the surface.

Offline Chris Wachtman

• Patas
  • biketheusforms.org/cyclists/detail.asp?cid=72
    • View Profile
    • I Has Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 03:12:01 AM »
I could see this being written on a popsicle stick:
At what point does a monkey become a kong?
When he becomes the King!

Sorry, that was lame... and king kong is not even a monkey, he's a gorilla...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 04:10:18 AM by Chris Wachtman »
They call me SPYDER.

Safety, Progression, Repetition, Natural Movement.

Offline David M.

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:06:12 AM »
When there is some sort of "dive" involved in the beginning. And your hands leave the surface.

Okay thanks.
Quote from: Jim Wendler
Is what I'm doing awesome? If I ask myself that and the answer is no, then I don't do it

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 07:34:25 AM »
No need to get caught up with all of these terms. Honestly, with how many different variations there are of movement, we'd have a near infinite list of moves; And that's not what Parkour is supposed to be. Parkour isn't and will never be about a set list of moves.

But as for your question: The general agreement is that the difference between a monkey and kong vault is that you dive with a kong vault, and with a monkey vault your hands are on the railing when you are about to jump into it. But as I mentioned, Parkour is the art of movement, not movements. Try not to worry about names although it is understandable, especially on internet forums because you have to specify when curious about certain techniques.

~David

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 02:48:24 AM »
Well I think that the general agreement here is actually that there is no difference.  And there really is not.  It's basically something that happened in the translations from french to english. 

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 04:18:08 AM »
I usually just refer to it as a cat pass.

Offline Daniel Besaw

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 10:23:47 PM »
Monkey vault. Approach the obstacle, jump up and place hands shoulder width apart, then tuck your legs through your arms and pass the obstacle. (video comment)   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKboEO5YJOw&feature=channel

Kong vault. The kong vault is when you dive over and while in midair place your hands on the obstacle pushing up to regain your upright position for the landing, landing with one foot slightly before and behind the second to keep your momentum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipq2p2xQGR4   
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means. Albert Einstein

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 03:58:36 PM »
Monkey vault. Approach the obstacle, jump up and place hands shoulder width apart, then tuck your legs through your arms and pass the obstacle. (video comment)   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKboEO5YJOw&feature=channel

Kong vault. The kong vault is when you dive over and while in midair place your hands on the obstacle pushing up to regain your upright position for the landing, landing with one foot slightly before and behind the second to keep your momentum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipq2p2xQGR4   

You are wrong.  Stop confusing new people.  There have been countless discussions on this.  Pretty much every experienced practitioner says that they are the same thing.  It seriously doesn't matter.  If you jumped more into a lazy vault and placed your hand down after your legs took off is it a different vault?  No, same movement.  If you jump off of one foot from a run into a turn vault is it a new vault?  No.  The movement is essentially the same.  Movements are never exactly the same anyways because they must be adapted and changed minutely depending on the situation, but we don't give them each new names. 

Offline Daniel Besaw

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 06:48:52 PM »
If i am wrong I apologizes I was attempting to express the literary terms clearly used in the video made by APK. I am in total agreement that parkour is NOT about moves or a list of moves. I would absolutely agree that the difference between the two moves done in the videos i posted links to may not matter to someone who can do them both. However there are people who are just getting into parkour who can do what myself and the video called a monkey vault. But have yet to learn the movement called by myself and the APK video a kong vault. (I have two younger brothers and a friend who would fall into this category) To them they are very different movements, and it is for the beginner I believe that the two different terms become relevant.   
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means. Albert Einstein

Offline Alex L.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 10:28:22 PM »
True, they are both essentially the same movement. I don't remember exactly, but from my understanding a Monkey is where hands are placed before your jump. Kong is then jump before hand placement.

Offline Team Avian

• Completely and Utterly Banned not.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 10:41:01 PM »
From what I understand... the monkey vault is the same as the Kash vault... if I'm wrong... correct me without biting my head off please...

-Kyle(Rage)
Team Avian soaring through the city-scape

Team Avian's Home Page

Team Avian's Youtube Channel

Quote from: Beretta
"Open mindedness is an essential parkour skill."

**APK Roof Police**

Offline Kenn Andersen

• Mangabey
  • Proud TR89 Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 06:58:05 AM »
From what I understand... the monkey vault is the same as the Kash vault... if I'm wrong... correct me without biting my head off please...

-Kyle(Rage)

The kash vault is a combination of a kong and a dash. You start out with the same hand placement as a kong but you swing your legs through like a dash.
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Offline Team Avian

• Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 01:49:14 PM »

-Kyle(Rage)

The kash vault is a combination of a kong and a dash. You start out with the same hand placement as a kong but you swing your legs through like a dash.

yes, and isn't a monkey just that? (Vault lingo is so confusing I just do it and don't make a difference)

Team Avian's Home Page

**APK Roof Police**

Offline Kenn Andersen

• Mangabey
  • Proud TR89 Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 04:35:54 PM »

-Kyle(Rage)

yes, and isn't a monkey just that? (Vault lingo is so confusing I just do it and don't make a difference)

Nonono

Monkey Vault: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdJot8Naju4

Kash Vault: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZT1WFmeo5k

Big Difference.

Offline Team Avian

• Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 05:00:07 PM »
ahhh ok...

Monkey is Hands on the obstacle before you jump or right as you jump and Kong is you are in the air before you touch...

thanks man

-Kyle(Rage)

Team Avian's Home Page

**APK Roof Police**

Offline Kenn Andersen

• Mangabey
  • Proud TR89 Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »
ahhh ok...

Monkey is Hands on the obstacle before you jump or right as you jump and Kong is you are in the air before you touch...

thanks man

-Kyle(Rage)

??? I thought we were talking about the kash.. not the kong

Offline Team Avian

• Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 05:30:28 PM »
ahhh ok...

thanks man

-Kyle(Rage)

??? I thought we were talking about the kash.. not the kong

lol yea but the original issue was the difference between the Kong and the Monkey... and the way everyone was describing it, the Monkey sounded like the Kash... but now I know that the Kash is different and unrelated...

issue solved lol!

-Kyle(Rage)

Team Avian's Home Page

**APK Roof Police**

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 05:53:56 PM »
This is one of the many reasons why names are so irrelevant.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 02:54:54 AM »
True, they are both essentially the same movement. I don't remember exactly, but from my understanding a Monkey is where hands are placed before your jump. Kong is then jump before hand placement.
2nd'd
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.