Author Topic: Question About Grains  (Read 907 times)

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Question About Grains
« on: June 08, 2009, 09:15:52 AM »
I know grains such as wheat or rice aren't too great, but I have a question about other grains.

How good are grains such as amaranth and oats?  And how often should I eat them?

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: Question About Grains
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:28:06 AM »
The danger with grains is the low fiber content and very high starch (sugar) content that causes a massive increase in blood sugar levels.  The increase in blood sugar levels causes a secretion of insulin which, when not properly regulated, causes increased insulin resistance.

That said, grains are fine if consumed in very very low quantities (which isn't really practical) and have a lot of fiber.  Oatmeal, for example, has a lot of fiber so it is a bit better than most other grains.  However, the carbohydrate count within oatmeal is quite high so you need to really be strict on your portions.

For the sake of practical eating its best to avoid them so you can avoid thinking about it.  If you want to eat oatmeal for some other benefit, lets say, to reduce LDL cholesterol levels, then you need to pay special attention to portioning.  The size of the portion is going to depend on how oatmeal fits into the context of the meal you are eating. 

For example, a meal with 20 oz of steak you can probably have something like a whole serving (40g) of oatmeal without batting an eye.  However, if you are eating 2 eggs, instead, you may want to restrict that oatmeal portion down to 1/4 of a serving (10g).

Now you can see why it is just easier to avoid grains until you know more about their caloric content, fiber content and sugar content.  If you know what you are doing then its no problem -- but until then, just stick to fruits/veggies, imho...or learn faster.