Author Topic: fences and walls  (Read 1621 times)

Offline used man

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
fences and walls
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:53:32 PM »
hey, im pretty new to parkour (2 weeks) and I have the rolling, basic vaults and some small tic-tacs down.  I have been able to wall run up fences higher than me, but once I have hold of the top, I have no idea what to do.  the best solution I have so far is to pull one leg over the top and use that to clear the fence, but I dont think that is how your supposed to do it.  any advice?

Offline Jon

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I dont go through walls, I'm above that.
    • View Profile
    • HuntPK
Re: fences and walls
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:33:35 PM »
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-Confucius
:::====(=''')- (guitar emoticon)

Offline Paul Bischoff

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 07:52:58 AM »
I don't want to be a product of my environment.  I want my environment to be a product of me.

JC*

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:12:39 PM »
I hate to sound like a concerned parent here but why are you jumping fences in the first place? Since you've only been at it for two weeks make sure you drill and repeat the basics till they come completely natural. After that see if you can chain link your moves together on ground level.

Mainly I just don't want to see you regret jumping high fences with the chances of long-term pain instead of training smart on ground level.

If I'm coming off to strongly please PM me and we can talk personally.
 ;D

JC

Offline MonkeyMike

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 03:07:29 PM »
I dont think that is how your supposed to do it.  any advice?

Is the movement efficient?  Is it more efficient than going all the way around said fence? Are you able to keep momentum after you clear the fence/wall?  If you answered yes to these questions, then you are doing it how you are supposed to be doing it.  Parkour is a mindset and a discipline.  Don't get stuck on defining it's movements.  As long as you are getting past the obstacle in an efficient manner, you are doing parkour.  Just work on making the movement as efficient as possible for you.  Whether it is the same as someone else's climb up is irrelevant.

Offline Jon

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I dont go through walls, I'm above that.
    • View Profile
    • HuntPK
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 04:38:53 PM »
I dont think that is how your supposed to do it.  any advice?

Is the movement efficient?  Is it more efficient than going all the way around said fence? Are you able to keep momentum after you clear the fence/wall?  If you answered yes to these questions, then you are doing it how you are supposed to be doing it.  Parkour is a mindset and a discipline.  Don't get stuck on defining it's movements.  As long as you are getting past the obstacle in an efficient manner, you are doing parkour.  Just work on making the movement as efficient as possible for you.  Whether it is the same as someone else's climb up is irrelevant.

i agree however....there are often ways that we can improve technique and changes however small can make a huge difference  in efficiency i don't really see anything deplorably wrong with his technique that can't be smoothed out with practice and training
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-Confucius
:::====(=''')- (guitar emoticon)

Offline Team Avian

• Completely and Utterly Banned not.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 06:15:29 PM »
yea, there is nothing wrong with any way as long as it works and is safe...

but I guess the "Technical" answer would be to suggest the gate vault, but that is only once you have other basics down... because if done wrong or with hesitation or fear/doubt, the vault is dangerous and has a potential to fail...

-Kyle(Rage)
Team Avian soaring through the city-scape

Team Avian's Home Page

Team Avian's Youtube Channel

Quote from: Beretta
"Open mindedness is an essential parkour skill."

**APK Roof Police**

Offline MonkeyMike

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »
Yeah, it's just much like my martial arts instructor would tell me for self-defense techniques: If you didn't get hit, you didn't do it WRONG! It might be different, and that difference may be how you have to adapt a technique to fit your body. That doesn't make it wrong. There may be technical advice that one could give if they observed your movement, but there isn't some step-by-step manual online for YOUR Parkour.  Parkour, like martial arts, is an ART, meaning that while you can find techniques and 'moves' here and other forums, you eventually have to make them your own to fit your body.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 06:10:21 PM »
k, the way i move is different from you. the way you move is different from him, her and the squirrel running through your yard right now.

dont ask how, ask how fast. the goal is to perform moves with surgical precision, not just to go there. go there completely aware of every step, every lean and breath you make.

your way of getting over the fence is perfectly fine, in fact when i was beginning i used to scale walls like that too. it comes from not having confidence in your arms, and the strength in them. you will gain that in time, remember, safety first, always first. 

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.