Author Topic: Osgood Schlatters  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Digital Kid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Osgood Schlatters
« on: June 27, 2006, 09:15:21 AM »
Hello there. Just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation and if so, what advice they might have.
I have a condition called Osgood Schlaters which is essentially a permanent fracture below the right knee on the front of the tibia bone. The fracture is filled in with cartilage instead of healing correctly, so it is a permanent weak spot that is prone to injury, even breaking. I've had this ever since I could remember and was never allowed to play full contact sports due to the doctors recommendations.  I've been interested in parkour forever, read up the sites, own every movie out there ('cept for Jump London). Besides the knee, i'm physically fit to start the training. The only real thing that is holding me back is now I am a firefighter and if I do break my leg, I could lose my job due to not having enough sick leave in order to recover. Any thoughts?
Digital Kid

Offline Eric Kropp

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Osgood Schlatters
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 09:56:04 AM »
Well you could talk to your doctor about how much you should be doing, and how much stress it can take.  That would probably be a safe idea.

Gearsighted

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 11:49:16 AM »
I had it in high school and was told that it would go away eventually. It did, in a period in my life where I wasn't as active. As soon as I started back into Parkour, it came back in my right knee. All I can suggest is icing and stretching your quad as much as possible. I haven't found any suggestions as far as preventing it completely, but I've also been told that it isn't a big deal (i.e., I've never heard anything about one fracturing)

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 02:59:34 PM »
I've had it in both my knees for 6 or 7 years, they'll enflame from time to time and become sore, usually a result of overtraining. A couple days of rest (simply not doing too much that causes heavy impact on the knees) and they're back to normal. Also, a couple of these ( http://www.painreliever.com/ChoPKneStrp.html )would help out durning training, but using them too much could lead to weakening of the joints or so I've heard.
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 11:17:33 PM »
I have it in both knees for almost 8 years and really the only thing to keep in mind is that if it hurts, ice it and rest.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline ~Bry~

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 05:15:53 AM »
I too have had it for years. i cant feel it on my right knee anymore. but i can on my left still. I was never told about any weakness in it though.
“I think about the meaning of pain. Pain is personal. It really belongs to the one feeling it. Probably the only thing that is your own. I like mine.”-Henry Rollins

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 06:11:33 PM »
whats the cure

Offline Rupert

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 04:54:22 AM »
I've had it for a few years in my left knee now. I went to see and osteopath and it has gotten a lot better, its pretty expensive though, but worth it. I find the thing that helps the most is strengthening the muscle around it. Things like wall sits and squats(one and two legged for both) are very good.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 02:05:56 PM »
I hate having it.