Author Topic: High Falls and Backflips?  (Read 1221 times)

Dekudude

High Falls and Backflips?
« on: July 08, 2009, 08:47:12 AM »
Hi there!

While watching parkour and freerunning videos, I've noticed a trend. Nearly all of the EXTREMELY high falls traceurs take part in involve backflips, and rolling backwards. Is this simply aesthetic? Does it actually help absorb the impact? Does it work just as well both ways?

Thanks. :3

Offline TR

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: High Falls and Backflips?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:40:52 PM »
Is this simply aesthetic? Does it actually help absorb the impact? Does it work just as well both ways?

Yes to your first question, absolutely NO to your second and third question. Best way to absorb landings is how it's always been done.. landing facing forward with a roll. Landing backwards and rolling backwards is extremely dumb, and the chances of falling on your tailbone and possibly breaking it is too high in my opinion.. Plus when your momentum is going backwards, you obviously have a lot less control than facing forward, plus your body isn't really in a good position to absorb the landing as efficiently as it would facing forward.

If you want to do backflips off of things, keep them low to the ground, don't roll backwards afterwards.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 04:31:54 PM »
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with TR, even though I don't want to, cuz I'm not really about arguing here. But I myself backroll out of things fairly often, whether it's some kind of bail, or over rotating on a backflip. The backroll should be done exactly like a frontroll. Not straight, on the spine, but from feet to hip to shoulder to hands. Basically a regular roll, in reverse. The way i see it, it's better to roll out of something than to just let your back or head hit the ground hard. You gotta either stop or transfer your backward momentum somehow. I use a backroll, and it's not to look good, it's to help me avoid any points of impact.

That said, TR is right that you should only be doing things like that, especially backflips, on heights where there's no need to perform the roll. But theoretically, right now, I do have to say they are useful.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline TR

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 08:11:34 PM »
Yea you're right, I don't do the backroll very often to be honest. I really hate it! XD I can do it from just say being sitting down.. chillin, and just roll backwards and stand up hah, that's about it. I guess it is a good skill to practice.. never know when you'll fall backwards. Just a personal thing I guess..

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 03:01:14 AM »
Yeah. I mean plain and simple, if you're falling too far backwards by accident, you gotta do something with that force. Either let your tailbone/back/head crash, or apply the concept of a roll. I choose the roll. ;)

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Dekudude

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 09:20:04 AM »
Alright. Thanks guys! :) That's all I wanted to know.