Author Topic: My parents dont think its safe  (Read 5467 times)

Offline P.R. Stuart

• Guenons
  • An All-American Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: My parents dont think its safe
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
If this dude were to show his parents this thread, they wouldn't say: "what mature and responsible people, this must be an OK thing."  Try to stay On Topic.

Emphasize working out and vaults as much as possible, without so much jumping off of things.  Try to make it look safer to the Parents...  Come to think of it they wouldn't like me saying that either  :-\
I decided not to put something deep here.  I'm in this for the physical aspect, the mental and spiritual are my own.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »
"So many people try to train easy 'Come do Parkour! It’s really cool!' But if tomorrow I made you do real training, you would end up crying." - David Belle

I agree with eisenberg, parkour takes strength and lots of it, to do it safely.

You could be really puny and you'd have a much larger chance of getting hurt.

I'm going to get smited but I don't care, I'm just being honest.

im sorry im blunt, i just dont care enough to expand upon thoughts that can easily be understood or taken the right way.

to be safe doing something so high impact you HAVE to be strong. no buts about it.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline dhacks8o8

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 01:53:45 AM »
You could be mighty dangerous in football with pk. lol.  And your pk could be even more dangerous with the kickboxing. lol.

yeah... my parents wanted me to do football cuz the coach keeps emailing my parents about how good of a running back i'd be.
but i do train quite hard on my own. that i know cuz my friends came to the park i was training at and they saw me training and tried to do what i was doing and now that i notice it... they're not that strong even though a few of them are larger than me.  so i guess training safely is major... which i already do.
 thanks people

Leon_Kazihachi

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 02:27:31 AM »
Lord people, can't we all just get along? I mean, I understand people's philosophies, but the concept of accepting another's opinion or ignoring it is being quite strained. ^^;;

Anyways, good friend, to start off, welcome to APK.
Training hard and training safely is always a huge factor in PK, and not one which most newbies would take to heart. There was this one incident where this skater almost tried jumping off a 6'+ gap or something, and this kid knew nothing of PK, and could've really been injured.
So after conditioning, go for the small stuff, THEN the bigger stuff. It helps quite a bit. ^^

If you need anything tho, feel free to ask! =D

Offline PurpleParkour

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 05:54:59 AM »
i wasnt degrading anyone? things as stressful as parkour can damage younger people because their body isnt fully grown yet.

im thinking more about becoming stronger. lets face it, most kids his age go out and immediately try to attempt shit they see in videos. im just looking out for him, and why does everyone get so f#cking pissy when i say childs games. i to THIS day play childs games. its  GREAT way to test what youve learned. it just so happens im stronger and bigger so my childs games are a bit more advanced.

ever balance on something then jump to another thing and continue to balance? shit, i was doing that at 5 on tree roots when i went camping.

i meant PARKOUR is dangerous, the training behind parkour is not if done responsibly. if one doesnt understand the seperation between the two then training will be mostly parkour and that is VERY dangerous.

im pretty sure i made the apparent in my post.

and your last point in my post you tried to rip apart shows you dont know what the f#ck you are saying. STRENGTH is  HUGE part of parkour, if you arent strong enough to take it, you will only hurt yourself.

Dude, calm with the profanity.  What do you mean by "child's games"?  Tag/Hide n Seek are great fun games to play as a child but in no way are they "child's games".  They are fun at any age.  Tiring at any age.  And strength training at any age.  How do you think that 7 year old got into that tree?  Well, he combined his strength and used it in a helpful way.  Whoa! How did that 9 year old boy get onto the shed roof?? Well, he used strength that you get from pull ups in a positive motion.  Parkour can be dangerous. Life IS dangerous, but we need to get around that factor and see that life is dangerously fun.  You only have one life, but if you work it right, one life is enough.

PPK 

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 08:12:51 AM »
"So many people try to train easy 'Come do Parkour! It’s really cool!' But if tomorrow I made you do real training, you would end up crying." - David Belle

I agree with eisenberg, parkour takes strength and lots of it, to do it safely.

You could be really puny and you'd have a much larger chance of getting hurt.

I'm going to get smited but I don't care, I'm just being honest.

stephane vigroux has said many times that you need to build your body like steel to do parkour. conditioning is like Armour plating for your body, without it you will end up getting hurt.

read my second post about the separation between training and parkour, i dont think you full read/understood my posts.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 08:24:23 AM »
and your last point in my post you tried to rip apart shows you dont know what the f#ck you are saying.
Your hostility is completely un-called for.

STRENGTH is HUGE part of parkour, if you arent strong enough to take it, you will only hurt yourself. [and the other stuff about strength...]
Not really. Technique >>> strength. A thousand times over. Strength will only take you so far. Of course, combining the two is a pretty good idea :P but technique is still more critical. Ultimately, they are equally as important but if I needed to pick one, I'd go for technique.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 10:57:48 AM »
im not trying to argue, its absurd that some of you think technique is more important than strength. with out strength you cant keep going, you will eventually get over use injuries, its just the facts. if you dont believe me then quit strength training.

having strength keeps you safe, thats all my point was. now quit arguing something that is obviously right.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »
Max... You're an idiot. You seriously just said technique is less important than strength, and you're just plain wrong. Technique is what Parkour IS! Anyone can have strength, a strong person is not a traceur by definition. Its the technique that makes us, not the strength. As has been said over and over before, strength HELPS, but it is not mandatory. I don't really strength train. I train the technique, and through that training, I have become stronger. But I dont strength train. So your point is invalid.

Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 12:13:33 PM »
im not trying to argue, its absurd that some of you think technique is more important than strength. with out strength you cant keep going, you will eventually get over use injuries, its just the facts. if you dont believe me then quit strength training.

having strength keeps you safe, thats all my point was. now quit arguing something that is obviously right.

So by this logic if a really strong bodybuilder who can't land/roll worth a shit, and somebody with a perfect roll but not nearly as strong as the bodybuilder both jumped off a 30 ft. tall building, the body-builder would walk away with less injuries?

It doesn't work that way, technique trumps strength here 50>1. the bodybuilder would be lucky to be alive, and the guy who knows how to roll would, at worst, have some nasty bruises and cuts.
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »
Back on topic...

Here is my suggestion to help the OP:

Understand that a lot of what we do for parkour training overlaps with the kind of training you are likely doing for football: pushups, pullups, squats, agility drills, etc. Those are the kinds of things we do for conditioning for parkour. So if you are doing those things for football, you are in a way already training *for* parkour even if you aren't necessarily doing parkour yourself.

Parkour is just moving through your environment. So if you climb a tree, you are training parkour. If you practice balancing on a curb, you are doing parkour. If you are at a playground playing a game of "hot lava," you are doing parkour. If you do these types of things, you are already doing parkour. Let your parents know this.

As to the safety question: parkour is no more or less safe than any other physical activity. People argue that football is "safe" because people are familiar with football. What do your parents know of parkour? If all they know of it is from what they've seen on YouTube videos, then they have a misinformed idea in their heads of what it is. It would be like if I tried to get my parents to let me play hockey by saying, "Mom, Dad, I want to put knives on my shoes and slide around with a bunch of people on a big sheet of ice, with sticks in our hands, trying to get a little disc away from eachother by sliding, crashing into eachother, and hitting the disc with our sticks."

Show them Jump Westminster. Don't say *anything* about "See how safe parkour is?" Just show them the video, and leave it at that. In the meantime, focus on the conditioning aspect of things: try the APK WODs and be disciplined about them. Let them arrive at their own conclusions. In the meantime you will be getting stronger for football, parkour, and anything else you might want to try.

Hope that helps.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline dhacks8o8

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 08:07:43 PM »
Back on topic...

Understand that a lot of what we do for parkour training overlaps with the kind of training you are likely doing for football: pushups, pullups, squats, agility drills, etc. Those are the kinds of things we do for conditioning for parkour. So if you are doing those things for football, you are in a way already training *for* parkour even if you aren't necessarily doing parkour yourself.

Parkour is just moving through your environment. So if you climb a tree, you are training parkour. If you practice balancing on a curb, you are doing parkour. If you are at a playground playing a game of "hot lava," you are doing parkour. If you do these types of things, you are already doing parkour. Let your parents know this.

As to the safety question: parkour is no more or less safe than any other physical activity. People argue that football is "safe" because people are familiar with football. What do your parents know of parkour? If all they know of it is from what they've seen on YouTube videos, then they have a misinformed idea in their heads of what it is. It would be like if I tried to get my parents to let me play hockey by saying, "Mom, Dad, I want to put knives on my shoes and slide around with a bunch of people on a big sheet of ice, with sticks in our hands, trying to get a little disc away from eachother by sliding, crashing into eachother, and hitting the disc with our sticks."

Show them Jump Westminster. Don't say *anything* about "See how safe parkour is?" Just show them the video, and leave it at that. In the meantime, focus on the conditioning aspect of things: try the APK WODs and be disciplined about them. Let them arrive at their own conclusions. In the meantime you will be getting stronger for football, parkour, and anything else you might want to try.

Hope that helps.

yeah i just told her practically that and showed her jump westminster and although they still dont fully think its safe like any other sport, they're letting me do parkour.  thanks for everything guys.

Offline Team Avian

• Completely and Utterly Banned not.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 08:08:33 PM »
Gratz for convincing your parents to understand!

-Kyle(Rage)
Team Avian soaring through the city-scape

Team Avian's Home Page

Team Avian's Youtube Channel

Quote from: Beretta
"Open mindedness is an essential parkour skill."

**APK Roof Police**

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 08:42:29 PM »

yeah i just told her practically that and showed her jump westminster and although they still dont fully think its safe like any other sport, they're letting me do parkour.  thanks for everything guys.

sweet deal! take it slow and listen to your body. its a great, fun way to stay active.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 09:39:17 PM »
Back on topic...

Hope that helps.

+1 Muse you're awesome.

Offline Hunter^2

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2009, 05:08:58 PM »
my parents think I hurt myself training a lot :( but its actually from soccer

Offline WQ F

• Patas
  • Group Theory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2009, 05:36:19 PM »
my parents think I hurt myself training a lot :( but its actually from soccer

Haha! I believe you. I haven't tried to play soccer in years. Every single time I even try to play, I get hurt. My face is a magnet for the soccer ball. I liked the concept of soccer, but after getting hit in the face (and nosebleeding quite badly) for several games in a row, I just quit.
So far parkour is really safe for me. I only get a small scratch once in a while.
You shouldn't try to do multiple experiments to calculate linear vertical acceleration over large distances.

Offline Elektrik

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 11:41:41 AM »
yeah due to all the sports i used to do (not parkour i lke just startd) my knees and ankles are like 65% scar tissue

but ive nevr actually hurt myself doing pk/fr and my parents are really paranoid

Offline Jon

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I dont go through walls, I'm above that.
    • View Profile
    • HuntPK
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 01:17:05 PM »
i used to play football and i got MUCH MUCH more hurt (i mean duhh its a contact sport) i fractured my collarbone and quit
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-Confucius
:::====(=''')- (guitar emoticon)