Author Topic: Reason for tiredness?  (Read 1279 times)

WoodlandGhillie

Reason for tiredness?
« on: June 03, 2009, 01:02:31 PM »
Over the past three days, I decided to eat no sugar, and no dairy products. As of yesterday and today, (I think day 5 today) I was just excessively tired. I couldn't do the APK warmup, not even ten pushups! I was very sluggish, woke up late, and overall, felt like crap the whole day.

Is this sugar withdrawl or something? How can I avoid this? Do I just wait it out? What do I do if it continues, eat sugar?

Offline Phil Howe

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Reason for tiredness?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 02:34:02 PM »
Depends on what else you are eating now, sleep, previous day's activities.

When you change your diet in any large way, especially if you ate a lot of sugary foods, your body is going to be changing to handle the lack of sugar.  Major changes like this could take a week or two for your body to transition.

Now, you're only going to return to normal if you are still eating enough calories to keep your current metabolism up.  That could be the entire problem.

A layout of your current diet could give everyone a clue to your decreased metabolism.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 02:37:37 PM »
The body can take up to 3-4 weeks to fully acclimate to dietary changes.

Avoiding sugar isn't necessarily smart.  Sugar has its place in the diet...like apples are loaded with fructose (a kind of sugar).  Scapegoating sugar is just going to lead to a misunderstanding of nutrition.  Avoid processed sugar, for sure, but understand why you are doing so.

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 04:25:51 PM »
What Chris and Phil already said, plus when you post you should really add more detail like what you have eliminated exactly.

For example, did you also eliminate all fruits and vegetables and milk? Those all naturally contain sugar but you wouldn't want to eliminate them for example... And what did you leave in your diet? Do you now only eat fat, starch and meat? That would also not be wise and could explain all your problems.

Any diet that completely eliminates a fundamental component of life and essential to all nutrition for all organisms, is generally a terrible idea.
Plus, since sugar is so fundamental to all your biological processes, the body will make it out of various other things as needed anyways, so there is really no way that you can live without sugar in your body, at all, because it is continuously produced by your body at all times.

About feeling tired, as people mentioned it's about getting used to, because really you can be on a fast and still feel energetic and not tired. But that's because the body switched to a more massive production of its own sugar to keep your bloodsugar levels sufficiently high.
The feeling tired part is your brain, which is the biggest consumer of bloodsugar and one of the few parts of your body that just can't work from fat energy or protein catabolism and needs to rely on the rest of the body to do anything like breaking down muscle tissue and or dumping muscle and liver energy stores to continue to function.

If you went more gradually you could still maintain whatever crazy no fruit or veggie diet you wanted, and the body will eventually get used to make sugar out of fat and proteins much more quickly and efficiently, although that would still be a bad idea.

So, think mre carefully about your diet and change it so it makes sense and it's more balanced, then also plan to change more gradually into it if it is drastically different from what you normally do, and also if you do feel tired, consider having a small amount of fruit like some grapefruit or strawberries or something throughout the day as favors to your brain and metabolic systems, they should probably be part of your diet anyways and we are talking about really low amounts of calories anyways.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 03:09:18 AM »
Put a little back in, and then slowly wean yourself down over the ensuing weeks. Or you can keep a bit in all the time. Fruit works for this purposes and is fine.

Basically just avoid processed food, and it'll be good.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 04:21:00 AM »
Basically, Im trying to avoid any unnecessary additions of processed sugar, but fruit, natural sugar, Ill eat heartily.

I've changed my mind about dairy, thats pointless. It has no benefit.  I rarely drink/eat much anyways.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 04:40:20 AM »
There are lots of benefit to dairy...

In a post workout environment it can help enhance protein synthesis and hydration as well as replenish electrolytes.

In every day living it has a lot of calcium and a robust mix of protein, carbs and fat.

Offline Pave_the_Planet

• Guenons
  • Spread my wings like a condor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 10:48:05 AM »
The main problem with dairy, I'd say, is that if you can't get organic, then you're going to load yourself up with a bunch of unnecessary hormones.