Author Topic: Am I to tall to do a backflip  (Read 11916 times)

Offline hokansonjohn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Am I to tall to do a backflip
« on: June 02, 2009, 06:07:39 PM »
I was wondering if at 6'3" and 190lb. I am to tall to do a backflip. I know this is not directly connected to parkour, but I was wondering if anyone has any incites into this. Alot of people say the best way to learn a backflip is with a spotter. But I don't know anyone big enough to spot me. I can do a standing back flip on a trampoline, but not on the ground. What do you guys think. Thanks.

Offline Mike Patella

• Mangabey
  • Towson, Maryland.
    • View Profile
Re: Am I to tall to do a backflip
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 06:12:53 PM »
You're never too tall to do something, just need to find the right space to do it.  Learn how your body moves, and seeing as you've already done one on a trampoline you're well on your way.

Offline Paul Bischoff

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 06:13:21 PM »
no
I don't want to be a product of my environment.  I want my environment to be a product of me.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:18:43 PM »
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 08:04:49 PM »
no

Your technique might be a little different than someone who's shorter but you can definitely achieve it!   ;D
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 08:42:57 PM »
Yes, you're much too tall to have the slightest possibility of doing a backflip.  :-Sarcasm

Of course you can, just practice. Don't use your height as an excuse for anything but being able to fit into small spaces. You can use the trampoline until you're comfortable, then progress on to some nice, soft grass or a sand pit or an old mattress or something. Once you get the technique down, you'll be okay to do it in the ground.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline ryan grice

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:03:40 AM »
I'm 6' 1", and that didn't bother me. Nope, my main problem with doing backflips is that I'm a wuss.

tsever02

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 09:29:36 AM »
It's all about the strength and space.

Offline hokansonjohn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »
Okay so now that I know for sure that my height has nothing to to with my ability to do a backflip, what would be the best way to learn to do on on the ground? As I said I can do a standing backflip on the trampoline but not on the ground. I have a tendency to put my hands on the ground instead of into my tuck. I am just not sure if I will land on my head or not.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 05:12:35 PM »
I'm 6' 1", and that didn't bother me. Nope, my main problem with doing backflips is that I'm a wuss.

You're 6'1"?  That's cool, I'm 5' ace of clubs... David Blaine!!!!!!
Agh!!!!!!!!

But anyways, if you have proper technique, you won't land on your head.  But definitely try to get a spotter for your first time at least.  Also, try flipping onto an old mattress or something cushiony, it helps with commitment and softer landings!! Good luck and be safe!!!

Offline David Wuffey Haimes

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 11:07:10 PM »

You're 6'1"?  That's cool, I'm 5' ace of clubs... David Blaine!!!!!!
Agh!!!!!!!!

Jordan... that was a whole entry full of win.

Anyways... getting back to the actual question...
If possible try to get old of an old mattress or something soft if you're unsure of the ground (or try to find a gymnastics gym in the area).
The thing that made the biggest difference for me moving backflips onto ground was realizing how important your arms are. Try to remember to fully swing them up as high as you can with your initial jump. The slight difference between throwing your arms to a 70 degree, and throwing them straight up, parallel to your body can have a huge impact on your form altogether.

Keep practicing  ;D and good luck!!
-David

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 05:47:39 PM »
It's all about the strength and space.
technique

Dunno about the best way but yea, the safest way to do one on flat ground is with a spotter. The best way is to commit completely. The hard thing about flips is you can't half-ass them. You either commit to it or you don't. Once you do it that first time and get over the fear of it, you'll realize how easy they are.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Bryan Petersen

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 05:52:58 PM »
You can do anything you set your mind to, or so they say.

It will just be.. different for you to learn a backflip than lets say... a guy thats 5'6''.

Just work on technique, the tuck is gonna probably be the most important part for a guy your height.

I'm 6'-6'1'' and I didnt have much trouble learning it.

Once you do it that first time and get over the fear of it, you'll realize how easy they are.

It's different for everyone, I had to do several before I stopped getting scared.
Parkour has opened my senses, the world is mine.

Offline BobT

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 08:37:43 AM »
Bill, the guy who taught me, is about 6'5" and 220#...