Author Topic: powerade? (and other post workout drinks)  (Read 11440 times)

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: powerade? (and other post workout drinks)
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »
I try Very Very hard to follow you guys on these topics, because this sort of stuff interests me, but man, most of it just bounces around inside my skull before falling out the other side It came in. Do any of you guys have a couple good sorta "go-to" sources/sites you can share so I can learn more? I currently read a whole lot on T-Muscle, Performance Menu, Gymnastic Bodies, and APK, but yeah, you guys got any more starter places you can throw at me? I would appreciate it.
Jake,
it depends on the specific question and your needs of course, and others might recommend specific links to you with nicely summarized points that are easier to follow.
The current discussion might have just bounced inside your head as you said because we are still essentially debating, rather than just giving a consensus conclusion.

But on the other hand this might be a good exercise to follow because in the future you won't always be lucky in finding correct summaries and conclusions (as we all know there is also a lot of bad summaries that drew wrong conclusions etc), and occasionally you might need to keep in mind how some of those conclusions were drawn, and how some of them are more solidly supported by evidence than others, and how significant or insignificant some effects might be, even if in a quick summary they might both appear equally true or important.

As you saw, sometimes some more obscure references can actually turn out to be just guesses that were later accidentally cited as fact (like I showed for Phillips05).
And other times you will find two studies with results that might seem to say opposite conclusions, and yet they both happened and are repeatable. In those situations you can't just compare them as absolute one-line statements or assume you can choose whichever one statement you like best. Instead you have to be willing to look more carefully at the details and circumstances that explain why they are both correct within specific conditions (as I explained for a few papers).

So my recommendation for those types of situations where the answer is not so clear, short of reading up on physiology, biochemistry, cell biology etc is to actually first try to get a quick big picture on a topic with something like wikipedia, and then trying to find actual studies both in support AND against a particular possibility, and in comparing them you will be sure that you understand why you hold a certain view and have good reasons to believe it in terms of actual real tests (e.g., 10 people did it for 3 months in a row and ended up better than the 10 people that didn't).

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 05:21:52 PM »
KC Parsons doesn't really post here much anymore (neither do I for that matter) because he's busy escapading around Michigan, however he was exactly like you about a year ago. He listened on the forums and did his outside research and then decided to purchase a CSCS textbook and read it cover to cover.

He's significantly more knowledgeable now and continues to ask questions and further his learning. Books are wonderful learning tools.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 06:33:28 PM »
KC Parsons doesn't really post here much anymore (neither do I for that matter) because he's busy escapading around Michigan, however he was exactly like you about a year ago. He listened on the forums and did his outside research and then decided to purchase a CSCS textbook and read it cover to cover.

He's significantly more knowledgeable now and continues to ask questions and further his learning. Books are wonderful learning tools.

He also asked for a $300 A&P textbook for christmas.  Ballllinnnn

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 06:42:27 PM »
Wooooowwwww. Alright... Digital copies for me! My SS is digital. I tried to get BtGB Digitally, but, its just not really around.
I've pretty much just taken to bookmarking every fitness site I come across into a special folder called... guess... Fitness.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 06:49:11 PM »
Wooooowwwww. Alright... Digital copies for me! My SS is digital. I tried to get BtGB Digitally, but, its just not really around.
I've pretty much just taken to bookmarking every fitness site I come across into a special folder called... guess... Fitness.

I would make separate folders depending on what it is.

I have >100 links bookmarked... gets messy without lots of folders
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2009, 07:28:41 PM »
bookmarking is an awesome idea...i never really used book marks ever in my life :P  i always forget that i make them

Offline RandJordan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »