Author Topic: should i beef up my calcium intake?  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Jon

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I dont go through walls, I'm above that.
    • View Profile
    • HuntPK
should i beef up my calcium intake?
« on: June 02, 2009, 12:41:14 PM »
should i beef up my calcium intake to help prevent broken bones
i drink about two glassed of 2% milk a day
also other health supplement or vitamin suggestions are welcome
and if this has already been covered sorry
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:44:32 PM by JFOX »
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-Confucius
:::====(=''')- (guitar emoticon)

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Re: should i beef up my calcium intake?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:40:14 PM »
You get calcium from other food as well.

None of us can tell if you're getting enough. Plug what you eat into fitday and then see what it says.

And also, search some of the calcium threads in the diet forum.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Jon

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • HuntPK
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »
thanks got a lot of help from the prev comment
why cant everyone be this helpful and to the point?
-Confucius

Offline Paul Bischoff

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »
thanks got a lot of help from the prev comment
why cant everyone be this helpful and to the point?

cuz the health/exercise gurus on APK are awesome.
I don't want to be a product of my environment.  I want my environment to be a product of me.

Offline Jon

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • HuntPK
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 05:05:47 PM »
tru dat
-Confucius

Offline James Wolf

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 08:49:03 PM »
The above poster is right, you do get calcium from multiple sources, not just dairy. Chances are you're getting enough with the milk, and more won't significantly affect your bones. I'm assuming your concern is bone strength. You might look into early karate training, they often do exercises specifically designed to strengthen bones. They are VERY unpleasant, however; the way this is done is by creating thousands of hairline fractures in the bones over years, each of which heal and calcify harder than before. If injury prevention is your concern, hard bones should only be a very small portion of the picture. By far more valuable is flexibility, muscular strength throughout the FULL range of motion (no isometrics), and above all, proper technique during training as well as learning how to fall properly.

Hope this helps!

Offline Jon

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • HuntPK
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 06:49:17 AM »
got the falling flexibility basic all around fitness joints are a little sore but i looked over my diet without my stupid glasses on and realized i have an already above average calcium intake thanks for the insight guys
-Confucius

Offline Pave_the_Planet

• Guenons
  • Spread my wings like a condor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 11:16:44 AM »
Weight training also builds bone strength.

Offline Jon

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • HuntPK
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 05:46:19 PM »
yeah im in the gym at least 2 days a week for about 2 hours
-Confucius

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 06:23:29 PM »

Not really.

Bone strength is built through stressing the bones, so they become denser, and thus stronger.  High impact training is really what does this.  Parkour already has more than enough of impact.  One's bones will automatically become stronger slowly to meet the demands of the body.  I don't see any reason to specifically train for it.  If you train smart and use slow progression you shouldn't have to worry.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 07:26:18 PM »

Not really.

Bone strength is built through stressing the bones, so they become denser, and thus stronger.  High impact training is really what does this.  Parkour already has more than enough of impact.  One's bones will automatically become stronger slowly to meet the demands of the body.  I don't see any reason to specifically train for it.  If you train smart and use slow progression you shouldn't have to worry.

??

Weight training most certainly builds stronger bones (in many ways) and increases bone density.  High impact is NOT necessary to build strong bones.

While there is no reason to train specifically for strong bones, you are a bit mistaken in your explanation..

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »

Not really.

??

Weight training most certainly builds stronger bones (in many ways) and increases bone density.  High impact is NOT necessary to build strong bones.

While there is no reason to train specifically for strong bones, you are a bit mistaken in your explanation..
Chris is right. Among some of the mechanisms for example is the piezoelectric response of the bone to the slight bending stress produced by the simple contraction of muscles joined to bones by tendons.
That still happens even without anything like microfractures (although those can also strengthen bone through a different mechanism) or what you might normally think of high-impact. For example doing slow biceps curls still strengthens the bones in your arms.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 08:03:53 PM »

Not really.

??

Chris is right. Among some of the mechanisms for example is the piezoelectric response of the bone to the slight bending stress produced by the simple contraction of muscles joined to bones by tendons.
That still happens even without anything like microfractures (although those can also strengthen bone through a different mechanism) or what you might normally think of high-impact. For example doing slow biceps curls still strengthens the bones in your arms.

I read an article that stated that competitive road cyclists had lower bone densities than control groups.

It makes sense that a weight load would build bone mass.  The stress of the weight transfer from the muscle to the tendon to the bone.  The only possible explanation I can deduce is that the amount of stress during cycling isn't equal to that of weight lifting.  But isn't the stress sustained over a longer period of time in cycling?

I feel like I'm missing something.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 10:03:22 PM »
Chronic stress leads to lower bone mineral density.

I did a paper on BMD in gymnasts and for all levels there were increases, but as you started to get into elite where you're training 30-40+ hours per week over 10+ years you get negative correlations. Still higher BMD than average, but overall decreases from what you would expect
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 10:00:09 AM »

Not really.

??

I read an article that stated that competitive road cyclists had lower bone densities than control groups.

It makes sense that a weight load would build bone mass.  The stress of the weight transfer from the muscle to the tendon to the bone.  The only possible explanation I can deduce is that the amount of stress during cycling isn't equal to that of weight lifting.  But isn't the stress sustained over a longer period of time in cycling?

I feel like I'm missing something.
What you are missing is considering where the Bone Mass Density (BMD) was reduced, and where it was increased.
In Cyclists, BMD was actually normal or higher in legs , and lower only in their spine. If you think about cyclists, they are sitting down and using their legs but not using their spine much at all. So it makes perfect sense.

And if you think about the increased calcium requirement from both their intensive exercise (Ca is needed even just for muscle function, particularly from an endurance exercise) and the strong stimulus to use it for body function or deposit it on legs before anywhere else, that explains the data perfectly.

If you look at this other study, they did experiments with both cycling only, running only, and both:
CONCLUSION: Running is associated with increased bone density, particularly in the leg, whereas cycling is associated with a mild decrease in bone density in the spine. In athletes who do both, running exerts a stronger influence than cycling.
So for example doing both cycling and running provides enough stimulation in the spine to prevent loss of BMD and your BMD will be higher everywhere compared to people who don't exercise.