Author Topic: Odd Rolling Problem  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Wary Apprentice

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Odd Rolling Problem
« on: May 25, 2009, 01:45:37 PM »
Well here is the problem...   When I roll on grass, carpet, soft fluffy things, etc.  I have no trouble whatsoever.  I move up to concrete, and what do i get but impact on my forearms and the side of left knee when i come up and out of the roll.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  And yes I am practicing and repeating.  hehe!    ;D
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will.  5% pleasure and 50% pain, 100% reason to remember the name.

Offline Paul Bischoff

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Rolling Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 02:40:59 PM »
there are a billion roll threads on these forums.  use the search bar.
I don't want to be a product of my environment.  I want my environment to be a product of me.

Offline Wary Apprentice

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 02:44:03 PM »
there are a billion roll threads on these forums.  use the search bar.

not exactly the answer I was looking for.  I would like it if people would assume I've exhausted all previously available resources before posting my question.
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will.  5% pleasure and 50% pain, 100% reason to remember the name.

Offline Kenn Andersen

• Mangabey
  • Proud TR89 Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 02:51:50 PM »
As far as the pain on your left knee, Ive had the same problem. My knee would smack against the ground because I was untucking too early in my roll.

I didnt feel this until I started rolling on concrete. Concrete really helps you find the exact spots where you need to make improvements, because if your not doing it right, it sure as hell will hurt :P
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Offline Mitchell

• Patas
  • Je m'apelle Mitchell, je suis un nouveau traceur.
    • View Profile
    • Valca Design
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 04:13:18 PM »
Well here is the problem...   When I roll on grass, carpet, soft fluffy things, etc.  I have no trouble whatsoever.  I move up to concrete, and what do i get but impact on my forearms and the side of left knee when i come up and out of the roll.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  And yes I am practicing and repeating.  hehe!    ;D

A tutorial I saw somewhere mentioned that if your knee or ankle was hitting the ground, you were suffering from "limp fish." That is, you're kind of just letting your left foot hang loose. If you tighten it up, the roll can continue onto the blade of your foot.

As far as your forearms are concerned, there are a couple possible solutions. Make sure you're tucking your head under your left armpit, this might help your momentum carry to your right shoulder instead of your forearm since it tucks you into a tighter ball. It also sounds like you may be doing more collapsing into your roll than pushing, in which case it's an automatic reaction to brace your fall with your arms to protect your head.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 05:37:17 PM by Mitchell Lewis »
Nous changeons le mouvement de l'humanité contemporaine.

Offline Wary Apprentice

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 05:20:21 PM »
I tutorial I saw somewhere mentioned that if your knee or ankle was hitting the ground, you were suffering from "limp fish." That is, you're kind of just letting your left foot hang loose. If you tighten it up, the roll can continue onto the blade of your foot.

As far as your forearms are concerned, there are a couple possible solutions. Make sure you're tucking your head under your left armpit, this might help your momentum carry to your right shoulder instead of your forearm since it tucks you into a tighter ball. It also sounds like you may be doing more collapsing into your roll than pushing, in which case it's an automatic reaction to brace your fall with your arms to protect your head.

Thank you very much...  you replied while i was out at practice though!  I'll do more work on it tomorrow.  I graduate next Friday, so after that I'll have tons of time!

Offline Wary Apprentice

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »
I switched up my roll so now I come out in the QM position vs. before I came out in a martial arts style position with one knee down, that solved my knee problem AND my forearm problem as far as I've seen, however now I continuously slam my elbow onto the ground on the way out of my roll...  I'm working on it...  lol