Author Topic: Climb Up Advice  (Read 2527 times)

Offline AN D

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Climb Up Advice
« on: May 21, 2009, 11:16:49 AM »
Hey guys, I've been having so much trouble with climb ups. I've been training them for a while now and I want to be able to get a clean one (right now all I can do is the one shoulder at a time one) but I just cant seem to get it. If yall could just look at a few video clips and see if you can see the problem I'd really appreciate it.

-Andy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXNgUOHPGj4

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
Re: Climb Up Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 12:00:58 PM »
If you haven't seen this, check it out.

It does like like you're going for the right motion, but you're just not strong enough. Slow it down and keep your feet on the wall when you do it, until you have enough plyometric strength (power) to get the climb up explosively.

And you can get away with just using your fingers to do the climb up, because I noticed that you were getting your hands all out of position when you tried to transition from fingers to palms on the top of the wall. Get it down with brute strength first, then go for the explosive pull, quick transition, and only a small dip (where you push up) at the end.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 01:46:41 PM »
You're really close to getting a level 3 (straight armed) climb up.  If you can get a little higher on the pull before transitioning to your palms then you'll get it, but I suggest stepping back to a level 2 climb up.  Pull your body into the wall and get your chest over your hands then complete the dip.  Also, trying it barefoot may help because your feet can grip much better.  You can work on level 3 climb ups on a wall that you can overgrip as well.  This will help you develop more power in your pull.  Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline Paul Bischoff

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 02:55:22 PM »
It looks like your kind of pushing away from the wall with your feet and its pushing your butt out.  Remember to keep your torso close to the wall the entire time by keeping your core tight and having good posture.  Stagger your feet (its hard to tell if your doing this or not).  One foot should push up and the other should sort of swing up and behind you.  Watch a good tutorial and you'll see what I mean.  Search Naim's videos on YouTube for the best example.  As for strength, your pull-up motion looks good, but your dips might need some work.

Good luck.
I don't want to be a product of my environment.  I want my environment to be a product of me.

Offline AN D

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 05:24:33 PM »
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate you helping me out.
What are some exercises/condition drills I can do to build up that plyometric strength for the pull? I can't think of anything that works those muscles. I can do level 3 climb ups really easy on a wall that has an over-grip but I feel like it doesn't transition anything into a climb up with no over-grip. Do they really help you with building technique for a climb up with no over-grip.
     Should I just do level 2 climb ups and level 3 over-grip climb ups to build up the strength?

Thanks again guys!
-Andy :)

p.s. Yea, I've basically watched all the youtube videos on climb ups in the world. Naim's are by far my favorite (Sorry Teg). He is a monster....I just wish someone could translate what he writes into English.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:29:43 PM by AN D »

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 05:36:16 PM »
Should I just do level 2 climb ups and level 3 over-grip climb ups to build up the strength?

That along with kipping pull ups and muscle ups.

One other thing, though it seems you are already sort of implementing it, from a staggered foot position you should really drive the lower knee up as explosively as possible, it'll help to throw your momentum vertically.  Kick off the wall at the highest point of your pull and that is when you should transition your hands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 06:07:12 PM »
You could certainly try muscle ups, and non-kipping, explosive pullups will give you more bang for your buck than kipping ones (you don't want your core to help in this case because it won't in the climb up. Save the resistance for your arms and lats). Weighted pullups always help, as well, to establish a base for the explosive power.

Other than that, just do level 2s and level 3s overgripped, and you should have level 3's non-overgripped shortly.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 07:40:29 AM »
i think it might be the fence on top of the wall. i tried to learn on a wall like that, no luck.

try a wall that you can lean over more until you get comfy.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 08:24:04 AM »
i think it might be the fence on top of the wall. i tried to learn on a wall like that, no luck.

Nah, I think he has enough room. Anyway, he's just not getting high enough to complete the movement.

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 09:52:45 AM »
Keep your chest closer to the wall, it looks like you're trying to climb up with your arms straight.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 10:54:46 AM »

Nah, I think he has enough room. Anyway, he's just not getting high enough to complete the movement.

i have a weird climb up haha. i lean pretty far over the wall because im not that strong.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline edgey

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 03:35:51 PM »
Keep your chest closer to the wall, it looks like you're trying to climb up with your arms straight.

I thought arms straight was how you are supposed to do it?

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »

You would have to be exceptionally strong to do an explosive climb up with your arms straight.

Offline Paul Bischoff

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 06:09:51 PM »

You would have to be exceptionally strong to do an explosive climb up with your arms straight.

I think he means your are supposed to do it from a deadhang position, ie arms straight, not do the entire climb up with straight arms.
I don't want to be a product of my environment.  I want my environment to be a product of me.

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 08:19:42 PM »
A straight arm climb up takes a lot of skill and technique. I can do one or two if I'm completely fresh.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)