Author Topic: Dealing with spectators  (Read 7509 times)

Offline Eric Kropp

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with spectators
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 04:37:26 PM »
This may not help much, but I wouldn't worry about what they think.  As long as your having fun it doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 06:49:27 PM »
Try to find some where sorta isolated. This can be dangerous cause if you bail hard, no one is around. But a cell phone can fix that. I have had people watch, normally they haven't said anything to me. But there was this one time, where i was trying to roll under a chain at a jam. A guy(known here as jesse danger disaster) was helping me out. my heel kept clipping the chain and i would get sagged on it. A group of fat chicks and 1 guy kept laughing at me. I just got mad and gave up on it. After they walked there fat asses on the elevator i tried again and did it. I couldn't do it cause i kept thinking, about them laughing at me. which made me not focus. Also i was mad cause i hate people that laugh at something they don't know, and they were fat, i hate fat people who think they are better than everyone. So you have to block out the other people.

Offline Valigon

• Patas
  • Death to those who oppose me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2006, 07:25:15 PM »
personaly i have problems because im still conisdered a teen even though im an adult (18), and the rest of my team is 14, 15, 16, so we have problems because "we are teenagers, and are doing drugs, and having sex, and we are nothing but trouble" anyway the most weve had so far with actualy people bothering us (normaly we get really weird looks, but we got those anyway) is shadow and i were out practicing underbars in the back of a chruch, next to a bank, and the manager of the bank came out and told us to leave because if we got hurt then he was liable, and our parents would sue him.... i mean you would think he woulda said something bout cops, or woried about us getting hurt, nope he was woried about getting sued.

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 04:29:19 AM »
Yeah, you pretty much summed it up.  I don't even know if its pressure that other people put on me but more me doing it to myself.  I'm glad others feel the same way.  And I'm quite shocked to get this much response for my first post here in the main forums.

My suggestion, Shirobi, is to smile and acknowledge curious onlookers. Just a quick "hi" will usu be enough to either get them to leave you alone, or inquire what you are doing. If they do the latter, you can potentially have a good conversation and broaden someone's horizon a little, see? :)

I find that when you acknowledge them, it turns them as a spectator into the "spectated" to an extent. Make sense? They're standing on the sidelines, watching you probably similar to how most ppl watch TV - passive, uninvolved, unwatched, voyeuristically even. When you bring them out, it reverses the paradigm; involves them. ;)

You could also look at that social "block" as yet another obstacle to be passed, man. :D

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2006, 05:08:12 AM »
AD Titan was kind enough (or bored enough? :P) to go through and find all the related threads, at some point I'll try to string them together and make this a FAQ or sticky.

http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/topic,1474.0
http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/topic,1179.0
http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/topic,1123.0
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 08:10:22 AM »
personaly i have problems because im still conisdered a teen even though im an adult (18), and the rest of my team is 14, 15, 16, so we have problems because "we are teenagers, and are doing drugs, and having sex, and we are nothing but trouble" anyway the most weve had so far with actualy people bothering us (normaly we get really weird looks, but we got those anyway) is shadow and i were out practicing underbars in the back of a chruch, next to a bank, and the manager of the bank came out and told us to leave because if we got hurt then he was liable, and our parents would sue him.... i mean you would think he woulda said something bout cops, or woried about us getting hurt, nope he was woried about getting sued.
It's like the exact opposite for me. I'm 16 and everyone else is 20 and higher.
Also M2, I was kind and bored, it was raining outside so I couldn't really do anything.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Leap Frog

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 11:30:31 AM »
I personally like to train infront of people are get their looks. we dont have that big of scene here in minneapolis mn, and maybe i can spark someones interest. that an i just like getting looks for fun... i just just practicing kongs and double kongs over a picnic table today at my park and there were people all over doing their own thing and watching me. when i first started doing it, i couldnt kong the long way across and then i finally got it and a skater doing his own practicing and watching me applauded me, so that helped my image of skaters. then there were some other guys walking by when i barely cleared a double kong and talked to me a little but, one said do a backflip and i said i could but i just got the front flip, and he said i didnt see do it again, then just walked away.

so i havent had any troubles with spectators, people are just curious of something new. maybe its cuz im just weird like that, or still "young" (18) but it doesnt bother me
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to...I guess

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 03:27:00 AM »
Valigon, i know exactly what you mean. My crew is viewed the same way, and it blows. we are practicing a discipline (sp?), and last i checked, martial arts was one too. so why are martial arts always hyped as an "anti-drug" activity. i just think its rediculous that people think of me, us, traceurs as vandals because we're "hopping over public property". ARENT WE THE PUBLIC?!
"Its not that we're the best, its that everybody else sucks"

Offline shorty2020

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2006, 01:33:58 PM »
well on the point of cops never run. the worst they will do is say hey we need you to leave. funny story my crew and i were running and we got called on for skateboarding. when the cops came over we were more confused than them cause we had no skatebaords. so they said ok have a good day and be carefull.??? wierd eh