Author Topic: Oblivious stupidity? or A$$ kissing? A question about Belle and Seb  (Read 3110 times)

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Obviously now hopefully you relieze that this thread's title of course does not refer to Belle and Seb, but rather another topic: Their fans....

Now, I don't know for the rest of the world...or even maybe the middle US or other coast, but this experience refers to specifically where I live.

Having met both David Belle and Sebaastien Foucan in less than a month, I was greatly honored to have met and to even be in their prescence.  I hadn't jammed with Belle, but I was around Sebastien for a while; at which I would go about my own buisiness, and he would sometimes give some advice, or present a challenge.

What I noticed however, was the large amount or traceurs that sometimes seemingly smothered a segacious Seb and Belle, sometimes with good questions, and sometimes bad.

There was the regular questions, such as "how has parkour changed your life; how hard do you train; whats the craziest thing you've done; what's your opinion about this; blah blah blah"
And then there were the excessive questions such as "how can I become stronger; how do you jump so far; etc..."

What my question here is are people taking the face value of these two characters too much? Let me clarify before you make any asumptions.  What I mean is,, yes they are amazing people who have trained much harder than any of us to come to where they are today, but are some depending on these two for too much? 
I have many times heard that in the path of parkour, each person develops his own route; learning and progressing only as much as their developing ability allows.  This would eliminate the point of people asking Seb and Belle how they go about doing parkour.  When individuals ask about the philosophy, Seb and David are a good source, as they two are the creators of parkour, however on both occasions I heard them speak, they both reffered to other characters which defined their philosophy: such as Bruce Lee, Ghandi, David's father, etc....  But if the philosophy is derived from these other philosophies, can we beat the answer any more out of Seb and David?  And of course the fact that asking either Belle or Sebastien how too stay in shape is completely ludicrous.  I mean is it maybe not that obvious?: Eat healthy; exercice regularly; practice practice practice; repitition; and if anything else: weights, other sports etc... As I'm sure everyone has heard "there is no secret to parkour:" "ONLY COMMON SENSE"(<-that's cheating because I was quoting myself)

So basically i'm asking, are people lazy? or just oblivious? and what is your opinion?

Critically analyze this statement.

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Oblivious stupidity? or A$$ kissing? A question about Belle and Seb
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 10:16:12 PM »
i think people feel uninspired on their own, so they feel the need to latch on to a stronger person to sort of carry them through their training. basically if all they had was the hope of being healthy and fit but had no amazing idols for them to see what is possible, they would not really want to do it. but if they see the potential to get noticed and get as good as these guys are, then they will want to do it. basically, it is not for themselves it is more out of envy of these amazing men. but then again, maybe i am just rambling, it is 2:15 in the morning.

psycosis12

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 04:19:59 AM »
I just think that it's the fact to be around someone famous. People feel the need to hang around them and want to talk to them for some reason. Just like if it was a basketball camp or something and micheal jordan was there I think the B-Ball players would hover around him and drill questions at him and what not.

Offline Michael Zernow

• Captain Jetpack
  • Global Moderator
  • Patas
  • I believe in myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 07:55:14 AM »
For me, to look at myself i know that i have been training for over four years now, but the first few years i barely even count. Those years were spent without anyone to help me, any guidance, any information. All i had was a few videos to try and copy, now people have forums where they can ask questions, jams were they can learn, tutorials, videos, etc. There's so much available to help people and best of all two of the people that spent their whole lives not only creating, but also perfecting the disciplines we practice are aliving and willing to help us. To me that's the greatest gift out there, because in most things like this, the creators are long gone and even if they're alive they're old and unable to practice, here we can experience first hand not only the ideas but the practice of parkour and freerunning. Even talking to Sebastien he told me he thinks that it would be silly for people to not ask questions, so at least in his case he wants people ask him, becuase he wants to help. Now there are stupid questions like "What's the biggest jump you've ever done?" or things like that that every journalist and reporter ask but if people don't waste their time on things like that and really get the most they can from the experience then it's not being lazy, it's being smart. I know i took all the time i could to talk to him over the month i spent with him, really what it does is open your mind to a new perspective on what we're doing, now if you don't care about anyone elses view, in this case someone who really knows what they're talking about, then you don't have to but regardless if you are practicing parkour or freerunning these guys can help you. For me the difference between what you're talking about and what i did is the difference between asking questions and talking to a person, once you can go past just asking questions and you can really learn something from someone then you've used your time wisely and gained a new perspective.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 08:23:10 AM »
I just depend on Gear to make me stronger ;P

Offline Nick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 08:56:19 AM »
My view is that of course people are asking lots of stupid things, David and Seb are known to anyone who does parkour (well, prety much anyway) and if everyone who ever met seb or david asked them the one quetion that they really wanted to, alot of people would come up with similar questions, thats why alot of these questions are over asked. but also, like frosti said, we still have david and seb around to teach us and help broaden our understanding of the discipline.  future traceurs may not have that priveledge so I think we shouldnt take it for granted..
"We aren't here right now to live forever, we'll live forever tomorow

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 01:13:31 PM »
I've learned that no matter their accomplishments, they are just people.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 02:00:59 PM »
So basically i'm asking, are people lazy? or just oblivious? and what is your opinion?

Critically analyze this statement.
Both.
Personally I don't ask for much help when learning something new, but when I go to attempt something new that other people on my team can do. I usually tell them to go first. Not to get ideas on what they do but just to get my confidence up. I work on it on my own but I attempt it because I've seen one of my teammates do it. I may not do it at first but atleast I tried it. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't rely on others for help to make yourself better. You won't always have other people helping you or even to practice with(as I learned last Friday when my team arrived 3 hours after I did because they didn't know the right time) so I just worked on my turn vault, reverse and monkey vault to precision making it better by practicing and practicing.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Nick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 05:11:56 PM »
im not saying david and seb should hold everyones hand and show them everything, but if your trying a new technique and your having issues with it, theres no reason not to ask someone for their input.
"We aren't here right now to live forever, we'll live forever tomorow

Offline Valigon

• Patas
  • Death to those who oppose me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 12:03:28 AM »
Personaly i feel that people are being lazy.. they hope that by bothing them with questions they wont have to go out and figure it out on there own. if i were to ever meet belle and seb i would simply listen to what they had to say, not ask direct questions. The path that i forge myself is unguided by the founders of our disicipline, it is instead forged by my own will and feelings about the world around me. i am in a sense re writing the definition of parkour for myself, yet i am leaving completly alone, i am discovering everything that belle and seb discovered on there own, in the hopes that it will help me to one day be a better person overall

Offline IwishIcould

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 08:19:49 PM »
Well excuse me for having man crushes.

Well a man is only allowed to have 3 or 4 man crushes before it gets downright weird. Obviously David is one of mines, and meeting him was like meeting Pam Anderson in the mid 90's, but totally non sexual. So if (i so did) I got a little carried away, and people feel that they are better than me cause that are too cool go express their feelings then I feel they can keep thier "oh that guys such a loser" feeling to themselves as well, theres no point to it except to say that you are above someone. Next time I meet David Im gonna ask him to autograph my back, and then Ill ask him what shoes he wears, and then Ill ask if i can have them. Thats nothing compared to whats gonna happen when I meet Clint Eastwood. I think I told Cyril the next day apologetically how Im a total weirdo, and he was cool enough to continue to hang w/ me, he even showed me a mean takedown. In the end it was all fun, I would have just regreated later that I didnt hog David enough, hell Im gonna take another 50 pic w/ him, and if people dont like it ill send them a picture. I know David is human, but a human like him you dont meet often.

But yeah some of the questions people ask are incredibly dumb.  ;)

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 06:10:07 AM »
What? David is just like one of us. Just a bit better.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle