Author Topic: Dealing with spectators  (Read 7429 times)

Offline shiroboi

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Dealing with spectators
« on: June 23, 2006, 04:54:31 AM »
Well, not everybody is a willing spectator, I'm talking about your neighbors, people walking around who always seem to never want to leave you to train.  I'm 29 years old and am definitely out of that skinny kid phase.  Sometimes I feel rediculous jumping over railings when I train by myself and people are watching or cars are driving by.  I used to do crazy stuff in high school with people watching and it was no big deal then.  But now, i'm shy and I don't know why.  Maybe its because i'm not very good at parkour yet, or maybe because I'm training alone or training in an area too close to home.  How do you guys deal with other people.  Have you had issues with other people/police/authorities?  I'm at the age where I really don't want to be chased by the cops or given citations for acting like a monkey as my wife likes to say.   I'm definitely interested in parkour, but I just gotta work some of these head issues out.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with spectators
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 07:06:34 AM »
Well I haven't really had that problem, but the police has stopped my team and I because she was worried about our safety but my dad got us out of it because he used to bea paramedic and has a medical kit in his car. Now back to what to do about the people. That has happened once and I slipped on sand after doing a Kong and some people started laughing, but I just ignored them or if the people like say that you suck and laugh persistently then tell them to try and like 99% of the time they won't.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Fenrir Unleashed

• Patas
  • Blacker than the blackest black... times infinity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 07:52:13 AM »
Ah yes, I remember that security lady, Titan. Also the skateboarders who saw what we were doing and one of them decided to be a smart ass and do a wallflip. Look, the bottom line is that people are ignorant, and will laugh at anyone who falls for any reason. They believe that "they" are the smart ones because they never do anything that might cause them to fall. The truth is, they're not smart, they're cowards. It's not even that they're afraid of getting hurt. They're afraid of what others will think of them. They make fun because deep inside they wish they could be that free. They laugh because they "have" to be like everyone else and critisize anyone who's different. Just remember. You're doing Parkour for you, not for them.

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 08:04:14 AM »
shiroboi:

I completely hear what you are saying. I am 27 myself, and face similar issues.

What you might be facing is pressure coming from the fact that it's more socially acceptable for those closer to age 20 to not "act right". It is my impression that many ppl in our society see it as that once you are closer to 30 you should have "grown up", which for many that means becoming complacent with who you are, your abilities, and your paths in life. There are a lot of people who seem to feel that once you reach a certain age group, the way you see the world around you should stagnate, which makes NO sense to me when I see that in others' attitudes. It's the same reason why I will sometimes get looks when I talk a/b my transformer collection or video games; stuff like that. It's that dismissive, "and HOW old are you, again?" look that irritates me to no end. hah!

Does it feel like I'm on the right track with what you're feeling here?

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 08:07:09 AM »
He did do a wallflip, I didn't notice because I didn't care what they thought or were talking about.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 08:08:47 AM »
We totally have to make this a sticky or a faq!! Does someone have the time to sort through, I bet there are 7 other topics "How do you deal with hecklers" how to talk to epopel watching "My neighbor thinks I'm weird" ... all that kind of stuff :) It's a great and important topic, and some people have had really good advice on dealing with the situation, because WE ALL run into it from time to time.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 08:20:06 AM »
I guess I could try to find some topics on this what sould I do once I find some?

Offline DistortedTruth

• Patas
  • The wannabe admin...and the lovable posting whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 08:23:16 AM »
shrioboi - when me and my friend went to Centennial and people were there, we just said "f#ck it" and kept goin.  I dont know if the whole age thing has anything to do with it.  It may just be with how comfortable you are in public doing weird things.  If a Howard County Park Ranger came by, we just stopped...waited for them to leave and kept goin at it.  I guess my only advice is to keep doing what your doing unless your afraid someone may tell you to stop or go away (like, teachers, professors, po-po, Park Rangers, etc.).  If thats the case, just stop until they go away, then keep at it.  That way, they never know what u were doing in the first place.  If they ask...be honest, tell them what you're doing.  My friend and I were planning to just tell the rangers we were doing Parkour and we would explained it if they asked.  But that never happened, so we had a good day.
The world is our playground.  PK.
-Nick

Offline Fenrir Unleashed

• Patas
  • Blacker than the blackest black... times infinity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 08:27:14 AM »
He did do a wallflip, I didn't notice because I didn't care what they thought or were talking about.

I didn't notice either. My brother told me later and Lisa confirmed it. I was too busy having fun to notice what some dumbass skaters were doing.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 08:30:44 AM »
They weren't even suppose to be there. Oh well it was funny though when the person called on the speaker and we thought they were talking about the skaters but it was actually telling someone to move their car from their plaza and it was the security guards car. lol. Also M2 I've found 3 topics on it.

Offline yawar

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 12:48:07 PM »
Ah yes, I remember that security lady, Titan. Also the skateboarders who saw what we were doing and one of them decided to be a smart ass and do a wallflip. Look, the bottom line is that people are ignorant, and will laugh at anyone who falls for any reason. They believe that "they" are the smart ones because they never do anything that might cause them to fall. The truth is, they're not smart, they're cowards. It's not even that they're afraid of getting hurt. They're afraid of what others will think of them. They make fun because deep inside they wish they could be that free. They laugh because they "have" to be like everyone else and critisize anyone who's different. Just remember. You're doing Parkour for you, not for them.

well said my friend, very well derived!

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 01:44:02 PM »

...I believe that this is an entirely inappropriate attitude for a traceur to have.  We do not criticize others.  The only truth to your post is the last sentence.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline houston

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 01:50:26 PM »
very well said

Steez

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 02:13:29 PM »
this is something that we all need to deal with because Parkour isn't a socially sanctioned sport.  if a biker or skater performs movements on a railing, it's considered normal, maybe trouble-making, but normal.  you take away the bike or the skateboard, and suddenly people fall into seizures of confusion and shock of 'how dare you!" attitudes.  However, we shouldn't blame these people..look at it this way.  If you saw a guy totally dressed up in pads, with a molded plastic or metal place on his rear sliding around on the sidewalks, propelling himself with his bands, you'd most likely gawk and laugh.  Because come on man, that'd be hilarious, and not normal.  it's definately a tough situation.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 02:54:03 PM »
Well yeah it would be funny but I wouldn't laugh at them I'd keep it to myself. Now other people they laughed at me when I bailed so I just ignored them, doesn't matter if they laugh or not, it's not changing anything.

Offline shiroboi

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 03:19:39 PM »
shiroboi:

I completely hear what you are saying. I am 27 myself, and face similar issues.

What you might be facing is pressure coming from the fact that it's more socially acceptable for those closer to age 20 to not "act right". It is my impression that many ppl in our society see it as that once you are closer to 30 you should have "grown up", which for many that means becoming complacent with who you are, your abilities, and your paths in life. There are a lot of people who seem to feel that once you reach a certain age group, the way you see the world around you should stagnate, which makes NO sense to me when I see that in others' attitudes. It's the same reason why I will sometimes get looks when I talk a/b my transformer collection or video games; stuff like that. It's that dismissive, "and HOW old are you, again?" look that irritates me to no end. hah!

Does it feel like I'm on the right track with what you're feeling here?

Yeah, you pretty much summed it up.  I don't even know if its pressure that other people put on me but more me doing it to myself.  I'm glad others feel the same way.  And I'm quite shocked to get this much response for my first post here in the main forums.

Stereo29

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 03:42:25 PM »

...I believe that this is an entirely inappropriate attitude for a traceur to have.  We do not criticize others.  The only truth to your post is the last sentence.

Expressing an opinion or how you feel, especially in the correct environment, doesn't have anything to do with behaving how a traceur "should act."  No one on the earth can stop themselves from thinking.  the generalizing may be somewhat inappropriate.  Going up to someone and insulting or bothering them without provocation is inappropriate.  But to express yourself in a harmless forum built for conversation and sharing thoughts, is the best way.  I'd even agree that many people are too self-conscious, and it's a societal problem.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 03:50:04 PM »

Expressing an opinion or how you feel, especially in the correct environment, doesn't have anything to do with behaving how a traceur "should act."  No one on the earth can stop themselves from thinking.  the generalizing may be somewhat inappropriate.  Going up to someone and insulting or bothering them without provocation is inappropriate.  But to express yourself in a harmless forum built for conversation and sharing thoughts, is the best way.  I'd even agree that many people are too self-conscious, and it's a societal problem.

I agree, to an extent.  And I think the main idea should be to help them.  Not to say it with such disdain.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

psycosis12

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 04:12:43 PM »
Well, most people I have encountered don't try to be smart-asses. They are usually intrigued. Animus light, and bry have seen what people usually do, they say stuff like "Do something special"

Offline Argon

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 04:26:59 PM »

I agree, to an extent.  And I think the main idea should be to help them.  Not to say it with such disdain.

I would like to take a moment to quote everything that has just been said without eliminating any of the previous and now only tangentially relevent statements.
My promise for the month: three sets of handstand pushups (upto 5 reps now...)

I keep having these dreams that I'm falling.
The strange thing is, when I wake up,
They keep coming true.