Author Topic: Diet: Good, bad, and bullshit?  (Read 6515 times)

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Re: Diet: Good, bad, and bullshit?
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 03:50:29 PM »
Muse:

sounds like some carb addiction there.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 03:53:59 PM »
Muse:  Cravings are normal.  As much as we like to boil things down to physiological events, psychological elements are a major factor in weight loss and regulation.

We have been through similar discussions in the past and I think it may be more worthwhile to emphasize your psychological perceptions of food as opposed to the physiological "why do i crave this" sort of this.

Cravings are natural and, psychologically, need to be indulged upon.  How and when you indulge is key for an athletic lifestyle/body type.

Offline Mike Patella

• Mangabey
  • Towson, Maryland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 02:25:18 PM »
Muse:  Cravings are normal.  As much as we like to boil things down to physiological events, psychological elements are a major factor in weight loss and regulation.

We have been through similar discussions in the past and I think it may be more worthwhile to emphasize your psychological perceptions of food as opposed to the physiological "why do i crave this" sort of this.

Cravings are natural and, psychologically, need to be indulged upon.  How and when you indulge is key for an athletic lifestyle/body type.
Agreed, even if you're trying to lose weight a cheesesteak every now and again wont kill your efforts.  I believe the key is finding a balance.  Cutting something completely out of your diet isn't a balance, especially if you're "suffering" as a result.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »
Wow! Thanks for all the replies, guys! I have a lot to think about, here. Steve, I don't think it was carb addiction; I have been through that before and this felt different. I eat so few carbs (besides veggies) anyhow. The bacon and ice cream sandwich I was craving was literally a block of vanilla ice cream between a whole lot of bacon strips. Aside from the sugar in the ice cream, not a lot of carbs there. ;) (But definitely a lot of other stuff!)

I think the point about the psychological aspect of cravings is important. You're right that food has an important place psychologically and socially; I do firmly believe that enjoying food is an important part of eating well and deriving nutrition from food. When I eat normally, I take care to engage these aspects of eating in addition to composing a nutritionally-balanced, physiologically appropriate meal. But when I "diet" or am adjusting my eating patterns to achieve a goal (mostly to lose fat), I tend to deny myself this aspect of eating, I get very strict and I no longer "allow" myself to enjoy my food. I still like the taste of the food I eat, but I narrow down the variety so much to maintain control that the part of me that revels in the sensuality of food just kind of withers and eventually rebels by undermining the sensible eater in me. (Come on, have a bacon and ice cream sandwich! You know you want to!)

Tracking my food intake on Fitday was useful/educational in a lot of respects but it also turned out to be very destructive. I found myself doing some really old behaviors like counting individual almonds and rationing them out throughout the day, and then beating myself up for going "over" some arbitrary mental limit I had placed on each food I ate. I also found myself getting into this (sick) giddy little game with myself to see how low I could get that daily total calorie number, and even thinking, "Maybe in another week I can get it down to <800!" Dumb, dumb, dumb!

I also looked back over my FitDay entries from a few weeks ago and I was in the neighborhood of 1300-1600 calories per day. I was also conditioning/training pretty vigorously almost daily (kettlebells, etc.), I think I had 2 rest days in 3 weeks.

Long story short, the workouts started getting *harder* when they should have been getting easier, and I was getting cranky and miserable. I would try lifting stuff that was easily within my ability and it would just wipe me out, and I just wanted to sleep all the time. So I'm thinking that in this case, (and probably others) it was a matter of under-eating and over-training. I'm little, and I want to lose fat, but somehow I think 1300-1600 calories per day, while doing strenuous workouts 6-7 days a week, is not enough food. No wonder I stopped training and went back to my (not optimized, but certainly not unhealthy) eating habits.

I am dumb.

Feel free to smite away. :)

Having said that, I am now armed with new insights thanks to this experience and also to everyone's great comments. You've given me a lot to think about and I appreciate it. This will definitely help inform my approach going forward. Thank you all, again!
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 06:55:57 PM »
Yeah, eat more in general then.

Body telling you that you need more cals in that case.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book