Author Topic: Firsty: Tracour scene in South MS (or the lack thereof)  (Read 5910 times)

Offline Brandon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Firsty: Tracour scene in South MS (or the lack thereof)
« on: June 19, 2006, 04:48:05 PM »
I guess the reason there's not much of a parkour scene in MS is the lack of decent obstacles. There are only about 4 cities in MS big enough to call a city. Jackson is really the only one I'd call truely urban. Jackson's got the kind of tight city blocks full of signs, walls, etc. that Parkour is designed for, but Hattiesburg... not so much. The only realy good places I've found for Parkour are the USM (University of Southern Mississippi) campus, and downtown. The park, the library, etc. but pretty dang sparse.

I would run people's yards and crap, in fact it may be fun to do some rampant tresspassing in some of the higher class neighborhoods (woohoo, high fences) but I try to keep it legal.

I'm relatively new to parkour, but like most of us I've been randomly jumping over crap all my life. I've also got alot of martial arts experience behind me, again like many of us here, so falling, rolling, jumping, etc. came pretty easy.

At this point I'm trying to work up my skills enough to feel like a real tracour. At this point I'm not exactly making videos, just taking the philosophy with me on my daily trips and practicing. That and trying to get friends interested in parkour, so I'm not just sessioning alone.

So, for what it's worth, there is parkour in MS.

Offline Caleb

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Firsty: Tracour scene in South MS (or the lack thereof)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:25:27 PM »
I live in Laurel, I come down to hattiesburg atleast once a week.. On Wed we play CTF at USM, I havn't been going to it too much this semester because of a Wrist Injury, Use too a good bit of people would practice Parkour out there, but now its more of a Marathon run... but If your up for more then just Urban stuff, try out some wooded areas. The woods can be a good playground and practice area. espically after Katrina, with all the fallin trees out there