Author Topic: Just Another Reminder...  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Just Another Reminder...
« on: June 12, 2006, 04:43:07 PM »
First off, thanks for all the support and best wishes here about my recovery. I definately wasnt expecting to receive so much concern. Just another great example of the parkour community and the comradery we share.

I've had a bunch of people asking me what happened so here it is...

I was doing this kong over the walkway and into the raised garden area (9 ft. gap and 8 ft. drop):

I have long been wanting to do this and I finally got psyched up to try it for the first time. I nailed it, near perfectly, but I thought I could do it better so I went back to try again. The second try I clipped my feet and woke up on the concrete ground. I don't remember the fall or what happened, but I do remember an extraordinary impact/explosion in my head followed by a white flash. It was like I fell in a dream and woke up and it was actually real. I basically did a half flip and landed on my head/shoulder on the concrete walkway and proceeded to continue my flip on impact and crashed my legs into the raised garden wall.

The aftermath: I was briefly knocked out on impact. I have a seperated left shoulder, left wrist sprain, and mild concussion. I also have cuts, bruises, and aches on my head and all down my left side.

And to add insult to injury, my successful attempt, the bail, and the last half of the footage I was shooting were eaten by the camera.

This is just another reminder to always be 100% focused all the time on what you do. Even a vault you've done 1000 times can be messed up under certain circumstances. I think I was too caught up in the height and distance I had to clear that I forgot to do a clean vault. This is an extremely important lesson to remember for every movement with several "parts" to it such as vaults to cats and vaults to precisions. If you get one step ahead of yourself, you will mess up, potentially with big consequences. Always remember to focus on all parts of something. Never get caught up in the second half of something because you will screw up the first half. If you find yourself at an obstacle, questioning your abilities for the second half, but confident in the first, take this advice. Leave it for another day, its not going anywhere. Go train on something else over and over until your skill is greater and you are more confident in your abilities. In the long run, its worth the extra wait.

I was lucky, had my shoulder not taken half the impact, I could've died or something with 8 feet of falling impact to my head on concrete. Always focus guys, never let yourself get to comfortable, you always need to be completely aware of everything on everything you do. This is achieved through tons of practice and repetition on obstacles at a low scale. Parkour is a SLOW progression and it must be treated that way. Always build up the scale of things slowly and only when you are confident in upping the difficulty. Even if you are confident, take that extra time to drill it into your head and muscle memory. There is no need to rush things in parkour that compromise your safety. Even when you can do it 1000/1000 times perfect at ground level, continue to practice those basics because freak accidents can occur. We must train hard and be ready for anything. Get in great shape too guys, I am convinced that had I not been in good shape, the magnitude of my consequences would have been far greater.

But again, parkour is a progression and its about being better than you were the day before. I will be back, stronger and better prepared. I've had a temporary setback but I will overcome it just like another obstacle or challenge. As Bruce Lee said, "A man must constantly exceed his level."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 04:50:49 PM by Demon »

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
Re: Just Another Reminder...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 06:21:21 PM »
Anything that is posted after this will proally just sound foolsh, and won't measure up to that post.

just let in be known that i nodd in agrement, a very good post indeed.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 06:28:52 PM »
I'll just reiterate my latest addition to the "Quote" thread ...

Don't judge a man by how he falls, by by how he gets back up.

Even in your unfortunate accident you are using it as an opportunity to help others. Well done.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:16:36 AM by M2 »
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Nem

• Patas
  • I'm back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:10:27 AM »
Heal quickly and fully!
Rusty, but still solid.

Offline Valigon

• Patas
  • Death to those who oppose me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 07:52:13 AM »
I just wanted to say, that im gona go out and train even harder today, however im not gona loose my mind, and i will definatly concentrate on doing everything i do perfectly, Also i think im gona go through ALL of your drills so far, and work on perfecting my technique. Furthermore i wanted to say thanks for making them, they are really great and i look forword to seing the next one soon. My best wishes for you getting well soon.

Offline Daniel Faulkner

• Guenons
  • pierced one
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 10:42:52 AM »
I am living proof of what Demon has said.

This is just another reminder to always be 100% focused all the time on what you do. Even a vault you've done 1000 times can be messed up under certain circumstances

I slipped on a jump that I have done hundreds of times and broke my collar bone last week.  The thing was that before I did that jump I was training muscle ups.  I had been training them for a while and I began to get fatigued. So I figured that I would just do some basic vaults and stuff to keep warm and keep going, just nothing to serious.  Well I saw the jump and went for it.  Because I was very fatigued it affected my performance.  I slipped on the landing and screwed my roll.

Avoid injury and be as careful as you can on anything that you do.  From the smallest to largest obstacle you might face.  Stay focused and concentrate on the matter at hand to perform everything at 100% efficentcy.
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Not all who wander are lost. J.R. Tolkien

Offline RunCincy

• Mangabey
  • maybe rolling is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 09:27:10 AM »
I had a VERY similiar bail a few months back, clipped a knee, did a half flip and crashed. Luckily I made it to the mulch and not the concrete. I remember thinking back on how lucky I was, now I'm just think about how lucky you are! Take it easy and I'm sure you'll be back in no time :)
you betcha on muh horse

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 09:32:41 AM »
Wow, Daniel that sucks, sorry to hear about it. Let us know how your recovery is coming.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Daniel Faulkner

• Guenons
  • pierced one
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 10:37:56 AM »
Well I posted about this in the injuries thread and I was told to get supplements such as vitamines E, C, and D.  This should help supercharge the healing process.  Also in my downtime I'm working on low-impact lower body exercises such as wall sits and calf raises.

The main reason I also posted here was to serve as an additional reminder to stay 100% focused.  I would rather use this experience as an example to others as what can happen if you falter.

But if you do have any other info regarding supplements and low-impact lower body exercises, I would really appreciate it.  You can respong here: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,1684.0.html As to keep this thread on topic.
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Not all who wander are lost. J.R. Tolkien