Author Topic: MTV (Ultimate Parkour Challenge) April 26th; 10:30PM  (Read 21616 times)

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: MTV (Ultimate Parkour Challenge) April 26th 2009
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2009, 09:09:19 AM »
where was this filmed??
the floor is lavA!

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 09:48:56 AM »
It was filmed in L.A., CA
"The only boundaries you have are the ones that are present with in the constraints of your mind" My quote!

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 10:56:08 AM »
It was filmed in L.A., CA

OH SHIT. when were auditions ? i cant believe my agency didn't hear about this.

the floor is lavA!

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2009, 12:43:16 PM »
There really were no auditions they came to us. The WFPF (World Freerunning & Parkour Federation) wanted athletes that were very passionate about our movements and wanted Parkour to move into a positive path; your agency probably didn't find out about it because WFPF is another agency.
"The only boundaries you have are the ones that are present with in the constraints of your mind" My quote!

Offline Genevieve!

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2009, 01:48:36 PM »
Okay, well I think it's an interesting idea; however, I'm not perfectly clear on everything. Is this a one time episode/special or is this a continuing show with multiple episodes?

Also if this is going to be an ongoing thing- I think all of the traceurs and traceuses should have some way of submitting opinions and feedback to MTV directly. I didn't see any women in the photos and it kinda looks like parkour is being represented as just a boys club- but that's only from the small amount of pictures posted.

Other than that I look forward to what's going to be produced!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:30:08 PM by Genevieve! »
Run

Offline Brian Orosco

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 04:29:50 PM »
I'm definitely late to this conversation, but I did want to post my thoughts. This is essentially the same thing I said on SFPK:

It would be really nice if everyone could reserve judgment until the episode airs. As goes with all things, we can't please everyone all the time, but I believe this has been the best organized and planned event to date.

The experience itself was an amazing one and I can safely say it's given a lot of direction to my thoughts (I'll post more about that on my blog soon). Having been there and experienced first-hand what went down, I'm very proud to have been a part of it! Apart from the funding and some general guiding outlines, traceurs pretty much ran the show from start to finish and had final say in just about everything. As goes with any televised production there were hiccups that slowed things down and we were upset about a couple sticking points, but we were never required to do anything against our will, none of our dialogue was scripted at all, the course was designed and modified/improved by traceurs, and I believe that the people there (both on the production side and talent side) were the right people with the right attitudes to put this whole thing together. This isn't some event that was slapped together over the course of a couple months... it's been in development for going on 3 years now. I can promise you, without a shadow of a doubt, that this will be nothing like the Barclaycard or Red Bull Art of Motion events. Obviously now the show is in post production and in MTV's hands, but that said, I'm very pleased with the content we provided them. Everyone on this project has been very open-minded and respectful to us and our sport.

Daniel explained it well. What he meant when he said this wasn't a competition was that it's not the classic American perception of what is often portrayed on TV. In other words, it wasn't like we got there and they pitted us against each other. We all have a great amount of respect for each other. We made it very clear right from the get-go that we were essentially just one family there to have fun. One or off the set, we all love each other. Obviously in the end there was one "winner", but as far as we were concerned it was no more of a competition than any of our jams is a competition. None of us cared who they considered to be the "winner" (as you will see when the show airs). This is clearly a sensitive subject, so at every turn we tried our hardest to make it abundantly clear that we were there to collaborate, and compete, not against each other, but as a collective team against the upper limits of our abilities in order to keep expanding what our bodies can do.

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 05:57:35 PM »
Okay, well I think it's an interesting idea; however, I'm not perfectly clear on everything. Is this a one time episode/special or is this a continuing show with multiple episodes?

Also if this is going to be an ongoing thing- I think all of the traceurs and traceuses should have some way of submitting opinions and feedback to MTV directly. I didn't see any women in the photos and it kinda looks like parkour is being represented as just a boys club- but that's only from the small amount of pictures posted.

Other than that I look forward to what's going to be produced!

Well if you would like to be a part of this I can definitely talk to David/Victor who run the WFPF and give them input upon women because we can't forget about you ladies. So you just let me know if you would really like to give your input in a respective manner.

P.S. Thanks a lot Brian you certainly gave some insight that I seemed to have left out; Much love and I miss you guys!!!

Offline Genevieve!

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2009, 06:29:25 PM »

Of course, I think I speak for all the ladies out there that we would like to get recognized as being a part of the parkour community. This show was to inspire people and represent parkour in the best way possible, correct? Well we need to inspire other women as well and show that parkour isn't just a boys club. What can I do?
Run

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2009, 06:47:25 PM »
And I totally agree with you, how narrow minded of me not to notice this. I will talk to David ASAP and see if we can come up with something, also please PM for more detail (CONTACT INFO for you).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 01:22:43 PM by Daniel Arroyo »

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: MTV (Ultimate Parkour Challenge) April 26th; 10:30PM
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2009, 07:26:09 PM »
Here's an update the show will be airing on APRIL 26th at 10:30 PM.

Offline Jack Kendall

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My PK blog
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »
Marked on mah calendar  ;D

Offline Alex \"Ace\" Scott

• Patas
  • The big Hair-eded one!!
    • View Profile
    • Pk Cali
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »
Who's judging these rounds? Who are David and Victor? Why is nobody else asking these questions?

Also, Daniel you speak for everyone involved and say you are all against competition. Yet, both Livewire and Pip Anderson COMPETED in the UF championship. So.... What say you?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 01:59:48 PM by trACEur »
-Tell me how you MOVE, and I'll tell you who you ARE-

"For every newbie that says Parkour is what you want it to be- God kills a Kitten." -Ruzkin

-www.PkCali.com-

Offline MetalPanda

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »
Here's an update the show will be airing on APRIL 26th at 10:30 PM.
right after Nitro Circus  ;D

Offline swap01

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »
Is there a place to watch it on the internet if you don't have tv? I would love to watch it.

I think the whole thing is fine, I'm not really for competitions, but I'm not against them. If there is competitions, sweet, I'll enter for the fun of it. At the moment the only competition is the world one they had in 2008. So there aren't any armature competitions for intermediate practitioners like myself. So I'm not going to go out and promote them, but if there is one I would go into it.

Swap

Offline Todd1

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Darkburg (Harrisburg Parkour)
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2009, 05:32:16 PM »
I just checked my listings and at MTV's site and I didn't see anything on at 10:30 tomorrow night except Nitro Ciscus.  Did the show get pulled, recheduled, or did I mess up somewhere?
"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

Offline Wenxin Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Muffin Button
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2009, 05:45:09 PM »
When I started 2 years ago, parkour seemed like such a new and special activity. Now, so many people know it, I feel like it wasn't as special as it was before. This is my opinion, but I'd rather have people finding out for themselves what parkour was and asking older practioners what it's really about, than seeing it as an MTV show and just going out there and recklessly trying Parkour.

Offline Joey Rodriguez

• Guenons
  • Scar Tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2009, 06:02:43 AM »
yeah im excited to see it but i didnt see it on MTV's schedule either...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"The only real valuable thing is intuition."

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Offline Jordan Lerner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2009, 08:20:41 AM »
is this still happening today? i've been looking for it and i can't find it
"Parkour: shift the way you move."

"LET IT BE KNOWN THAT OREGON PARKOUR IN NO WAY SUPPORTS ACCIDENTALLY DROPPING BABIES OUT OF THE WOMB DURING CAT LEAPS" - Stuuuuu

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2009, 08:34:26 AM »
Does anyone know if there's a website that this will be put on? Because I can't watch it tonight....... :'(
And I reallllllllly want to.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline MetalPanda

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2009, 08:44:16 AM »
doesn't look like its on tonight  :o