Author Topic: MTV (Ultimate Parkour Challenge) April 26th; 10:30PM  (Read 21592 times)

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
MTV (Ultimate Parkour Challenge) April 26th; 10:30PM
« on: April 07, 2009, 05:45:12 PM »
Okay so here's the deal, we all hate the proposition of a parkour/Free Running competition; however, I along with Daniel Ilabaca, Ryan Doyle, Time "Livewire" Shieff, Pip Andersen, Micheal Turner, Brian Orosco, and King David all were chosen to participate in the making of a new show that MTV wants to get started. Me and everybody else are all signed athlete's of the WFPF (World Freerunning & Parkour Federation), a company that strives to commercialize Parkour/Freerunning in the RIGHT manor. So the MTV executive's really wanted to make this show a competition but all of us told them that we wouldn't do it if they were going to portray our art in that way. So after much negotiation we compromised on having it be labeled a challenge, but when they interview us we will be able to give the viewers all the insight upon how this is not a sport, this is much more like a discipline and we do this because we love this, not because we want to win and be considered the best because there is no "best". Long story short we had a great time and in the end we all became a family rather then practitioners, we love what we do and we want others to be inspired to find their own limits, and hopefully find themselves in the process. So before you look at this and think it's a competition please realize that Parkour/Freerunning will inevitably be commercialized it is just a matter of would you rather somebody portray our art with a negative influence or portray this discipline with the right mindset and with SOME of the leading figure's in our Movement?

P.S. Thank you to everybody that actually took the time to read this all and have the open mind necessary to understanding that we are trying our best! THANK YOU APK.

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/CrazyRican158/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:25:23 PM by Daniel Arroyo »
"The only boundaries you have are the ones that are present with in the constraints of your mind" My quote!

Offline Joshua Winzer-Irwin

• Patas
  • you say no to drugs? i say no to gravity!
    • View Profile
Re: MTV (Ultimate Parkour Challenge) April 26th 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:48:43 PM »
that makes me feel alot better about this whole deal! if only i had an actual tv to watch it in the first place lol

Offline Skills

• Patas
  • Elemental Movement
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »
liking this...take the stand and help parkour grow in the correct manner ;D ;D ;D
"Obstacles are found everywhere, and in overcoming them we nourish ourselves."

Offline Mark Hatcher

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 05:52:57 PM »
Kudos.

It's good to see people steering the exposure of parkour to try and keep the philosophy and values intact.

Just my opinion, but I think this could be very similar to Sasuke aka Ninja Warrior. Yes, there are stages and time limits, and people get eliminated and you end up with a kind of ranking. However, it's not against each other; every athlete is competing against the course, against the environment. The people who do Sasuke/Ninja Warrior seem to do it for self satisfaction, not for bragging rights or to prove that they're better than others.

Once again, I'm happy there's guys like you embracing the fact that parkour is becoming popular and trying to keep it from getting corrupted.

Offline Jack Kendall

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My PK blog
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »
Wow, that's awesome! I'm definitely going to tell people I got to train with you in Gainesville.  ;D

Offline PKAB

• Mangabey
  • Do a Barrel Roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 06:14:04 PM »
Well I am having some mixed feelings because you just named some extremely respectable traceurs but then it is MTV. I guess Id totally support it I just don't want it to you know turn into some show offey crappy show about people jumping off stuff. But i'm pretty sure you guys won't let that happen. So yeah I'm all for it now that I know some respectable traceurs are keeping it headed in the right direction. Looking forward to it!
Perfection is a flaw.

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 06:18:37 PM »
I really appreciate the support guys, seriously. We are just hoping that when they go to edit all the footage they don't try to cut and paste the clips that may sound competitive or negative. For the most part I think they are all understanding now that they have all talked to us and listened to how passionate we are about what we do.

Hey Jack K. I live in Tampa, and you are more then welcome here anytime!!

P.S. I posted my photobucket link in the original post so you guys can see photos from the set.
"The only boundaries you have are the ones that are present with in the constraints of your mind" My quote!

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 06:21:09 PM »
What an opportunity!!!!!!!! :) I cant wait to see this it sounds so fun!

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 06:24:52 PM »
Yeah only two people got hurt but nothing major. I sprained my neck, due to an unprepped course (got wet from somebody's sweat), and somebody else bruised their heel and cut open their hand. Other then that it was the time of my life!

Offline Jordan Lerner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 06:48:12 PM »
thanks daniel. this really helps quell any misgivings i had about this before.
"Parkour: shift the way you move."

"LET IT BE KNOWN THAT OREGON PARKOUR IN NO WAY SUPPORTS ACCIDENTALLY DROPPING BABIES OUT OF THE WOMB DURING CAT LEAPS" - Stuuuuu

Bowdz

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 07:51:10 PM »
That is great to hear. I definitely had some questions about what direction the show would take and knowing MTV, it was not a good direction. Thanks for clearing everything up and really pushing the core ideal of parkour!

b5200

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 07:52:53 PM »
I'm glad I go to cyber school, no matter what time it airs I can watch it :D

Oh wait, its on a Sunday anyway
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:06:49 PM by b5200 »

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 08:55:14 PM »
That is great to hear. I definitely had some questions about what direction the show would take and knowing MTV, it was not a good direction. Thanks for clearing everything up and really pushing the core ideal of parkour!

I totally understand because I had the same thoughts as well. But when I started to talk to them and saw that they were really listening to us and we really had a word in the production, I got really excited. I just hope they don't trick us and edit it to make everything look misleading; but with all of the positive discussions we had I am pretty sure it will be way to difficult to do that.

Offline ChrisBApk

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
This post is a test to see if APK readers are open to viewpoints that go against the grain...**it is "negativity free"

I hate to be the party pooper, but Daniel's statements are a direct contradiction of statements made by a WFPF representative with whom I had a lengthy conversation.  The competitive aspect was the WFPF's idea.  Daniel's statements are also a contradiction of offline statements made by some participants who are actually for competition.

Everyone here seems very quick to take Daniel's words at face value, but you all have to realize that he is speaking as a representative of WFPF.  He delivered a marketing script that was likely written for him.  The purpose is not to "clear things up" but rather to do "damage control."
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 10:11:30 PM by ChrisBApk »

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 09:53:59 PM »
Chris, while it may be rather evident that some of the members listed have been vocally for competition, we all know that a great deal of them have always stood against it.  Ultimately, I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt, especially when they are trusted friends.  I also believe that those who are against it wouldn't agree unless those who were for it settled on something agreeable, as well (the whole "anti" camp tends to be all-or-nothing like that).

Yes, it's a marketing strategy, I'm sure.  Yes, everyone should always always take things with a grain of salt.  But being critical doesn't always mean being negative.  Wait and see.  Until then, the whole thing should just be put on the backburner as we forge ahead, as we always have.

Daniel, thank you for that.  It's been copy-pasted over to PKNA by a courteous member and should stimulate some more discussion.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Wenxin Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Muffin Button
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 02:40:42 AM »
This is good. If people who watch MTV just go outside and do this, and not have a clue of the philosophy behind it, bad things will happen.

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 07:32:44 AM »
This post is a test to see if APK readers are open to viewpoints that go against the grain...**it is "negativity free"

I hate to be the party pooper, but Daniel's statements are a direct contradiction of statements made by a WFPF representative with whom I had a lengthy conversation.  The competitive aspect was the WFPF's idea.  Daniel's statements are also a contradiction of offline statements made by some participants who are actually for competition.

Everyone here seems very quick to take Daniel's words at face value, but you all have to realize that he is speaking as a representative of WFPF.  He delivered a marketing script that was likely written for him.  The purpose is not to "clear things up" but rather to do "damage control."

I really don't know who you have been talking to but maybe the so called WFPF rep has their philosophy messed up a bit, however I know that different people have different views but I can only speak for me and the people I have trained with on the show and say that we are trying with all of our efforts to promote a good perspective. I understand you have a negative perspective towards this whole show, but you really don't have to give me a -1 just because you think the opposite of another. I am not attacking anybody and I am not asking you to join the bandwagon, all I am doing is giving you insight to what the traceur's on the show want out of all this. You also state that some of us are Pro Competition well I have spoken directly with Ryan/Pip/Livewire, and they all seem to hate the way the past competitions were run and they no longer want it to be like that. However, do you really think Daniel Ilabaca would be apart of this if it was to show our art in a negative aspect?? MTV was going to do this regardless of us but I would rather us be the ones on the show giving viewers insight to what Parkour really is rather then have a young Traceur come in thinking it's all about "Going Big, or Going Home". Tell me if im wrong??

Offline ChrisBApk

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 07:37:05 AM »
I didn't give you a -1 dude.  Chill out and point the finger elsewhere.

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 08:24:15 AM »
That was spoken to whoever did it, I was just directing the keep an open mind to you. Anyways I just read all the 7 pages of posts on NAPK.com and I have to say that I am extremely disappointed. There is soo much negativity towards the WFPF and the signed athletes; I have already recieved hate email saying "I am glad you sprained your neck" and things like "I give hispanics a bad name". So if this thread gets anywhere near that I definitely will take it down. Okay so on another note, this is all new to all of us (WFPF) so we are on a learning curve as to how there publicist should name things but now that they have more Traceurs with a good mindset hopefully we can lead them to display the message in which they really feel at heart. Also alot of you think that just because we signed a contract and try to make money off what we do "WE SOLD OUR SOUL". THINK TO YOURSELF would you rather be in a job that you hate day in and day out, or would you rather do what you love and live in happiness because you happened to be find bliss within your life. To all those that are negative about this, I really hope you find yourself within all this negativity and to all of those that disagree with what we do but still manage to keep an open mind to it, well I appreciate it and as a fellow Traceur, you are my brothers/sisters in the art of movement.

Offline Ronster82

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Ronnie Shalvis Myspace
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 09:08:49 AM »
Sweet man, sounds awesome! Do you know when it will be broadcast?