Author Topic: Disturbing...  (Read 7588 times)

Offline shiroboi

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Disturbing...
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 07:12:33 PM »
Just wanna quote a few passages to bolster my statement.  If you haven't read all 5 pages of the thread in question, then you should do so.

Hebertiste wrote:
    Parkour anyways is turning into a sport, officially.

another poster wrote:
You have knoledge that David is ok with makeing parkour a sport?

To which Herbertiste replies:

Yes

Offline Jaxcolon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Beware the colon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 08:03:35 PM »
this kinda reminds me of an article in a maxium i read acouple months ago... the greatest thing i have ever read. sometimes people need things to make them realize other things in their life, sometime you get caught in some sort of rut and blinded until someone or something removes the covers from your eyes.

a guy, who in highschool was a star track runner and played all kinds of sports, got a desk job, he worked 40-50 hours a week in a cubical. gained like 100lbs after graduated highschool going to college and getting this job. one day he just happened to watch the movie fight club and something clicked.... his life was passing before him as he just sat at that desk, then came home, watched tv and went to sleep. the next day after watching the movie he called in sick and went to a gym. he began leaving work early to run and swim and better himself. shorty after he quit his 40k job to become a carpenter. worked less hours and learned a new skill he became proud of. he dropped the weight and got back in shape. one of my favorite quotes (not word for word, im doing it from memory) was "its human nature, to lift heavy things, to try and run down a gazelle, and swim long distances."

(one of my favorite fightclub quotes... there's like a billion)
"this is your life, and its ending one minute at a time."
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 08:06:41 PM by Jaxcolon »

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 08:06:41 PM »
Just wanna quote a few passages to bolster my statement.  If you haven't read all 5 pages of the thread in question, then you should do so.

Hebertiste wrote:
    Parkour anyways is turning into a sport, officially.

another poster wrote:
You have knoledge that David is ok with makeing parkour a sport?

To which Herbertiste replies:

Yes

And Belle also said that it's imperative that we get used to the idea that the word "Parkour" may no longer be attached to the spirit of what we do.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 03:42:59 AM »
And he means "not a complete discipline' by the fact that no one is supposed to define it

I totally disgaree with that. David Also does gymnastics, acrobatics, and martial arts (I'm sure among other things).

By "not a complete discipline" I think he means "not a complete discipline". In that if all you did was practice movement from A to B, then all you would be good at is getting somewhere fast. That's not nearly complete, look at methode naturalle, look at reading, at life safety skills, at emt and first responder skills, look at olympic weightlifting, grappling, negotiation. I've said many times before, what good is getting somewhere fast if you're not prepared to be useful when you get there?

What's really disturing to me is all the hypocrites clilngin tightly to David's words and saying that you should be out practicing, not clinging tightly to David's words. Yes, there are things we can learn from him, he is a great and accomplished human being in certain aspects, in others there are people far more accomplished, this is natural, especially when one is a pioneer in a certain field. Gymnasts are way better at gymnastics. I'm guessing a dedicated 10 years martial artist is generally more skilled and knowledgable in martial arts than he is. A doctor is better trained in paramedic skills than he is. And That's all OK.

In my opinion, it is best not to try to become like David, or to "follow" David, but instead try to use what he has learrned to lead your own direction, your own path.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 10:25:30 AM by M2 »
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline shiroboi

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 10:29:26 AM »
I agree with the statment about David saying that parkour may not be attatched to the spirit of what we do.  Thats why I call it The Art of Displacement taken from the french, Le art du deplacement.  That encompasses parkour, free running, tricking, the yamasaki and everything inbetween.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2006, 01:15:40 PM »
I agree with the statment about David saying that parkour may not be attatched to the spirit of what we do.  Thats why I call it The Art of Displacement taken from the french, Le art du deplacement.  That encompasses parkour, free running, tricking, the yamasaki and everything inbetween.

L'art du deplacement has certain things attached to it, too.  I've since just begun to decide that it needs no name...  It's the "spirit."  And that's all it needs to be.

And LoL to "Yamasaki".  Sounds like some weird Japanese beer.  (Just in case you think I'm a weirdo and can't figure out what I"m laughing at, it's cause the group's name is "Yamakasi".)
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia